The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on Rather Well, Hony. He is a very nice stallion who is producing some very credible offspring and I do agree - out of all of the available TB stallions out there - mine included - he is by far the most qualified and credible as far as eventing sires go ...

Viney - with regards to Guaranteed Gold - agreed - no FEI offspring at this time but we all know how incomplete USEF records can be, especially with horses showing up here in Canada ...

Gatsby also evented and has eventing offspring - just not sure at what levels
    Performance records in Canada for Eventing are easily obtained and tracked through the Equine Canada website. Any inaccuracies in show records should be brought to the immediate attention of the USEF, USEA or EC.

http://equinecanada.ca/eventing/

http://www.usef.org/

http://useventing.com/
    Horsezee

2 members found this post helpful.

http://www.sigmawarmbloods.com/stallion/gervantus.html

Forgot about this stallion. He competed GP himself and his son was in the 2008 Olympics for eventing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tatendrang is one to consider for sure.
    San City is also a very nice up and coming event stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Two that JER has used that I think are interesting are Flexible and an Akhal-Teke named Super Star. She's been positive about him. I think the Flexible foal is due this year?
    Super Star is an awesome stallion. You get refinement, movement, endurance, jump, smarts, a bright shiny coat, and long curvy ears. This is my mare by Super Star.

But my SS mare is an inexplicable 14.2hh, despite having two horse-sized parents. I've looked into this and she's a serious outlier as SS foals tend to be close to their dams in size. But my mare's regular rider is 5'8" and she's also ridden by Mike Plumb, who is quite comfortable on her. As I've said before, I think Super Star is one of the very best stallions available to eventers in North America -- I really do hope my fellow eventers take notice before he's too old.

The Flexible foal didn't happen due to veterinary incompetence so I'll be trying again this year. Despite not being a fan on Cruising, I like Flexible a lot, mostly due to his dam line of exceptional TB jumping mares. Flexible is also frozen only but the contract is very generous.

EMCO has Persiflage available this year. Persiflage is by the TB Primitive Rising and out of a part-Arab mare related to Tamarillo (Persiflage is a product of the same breeding program). Tamarillo is one of the most athletic horses I've ever seen -- it's hard to convey just how elastic and agile he is. Of course he's frozen-only, but a top-notch repro vet can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsezee View Post
    Performance records in Canada for Eventing are easily obtained and tracked through the Equine Canada website. Any inaccuracies in show records should be brought to the immediate attention of the USEF, USEA or EC.

http://equinecanada.ca/eventing/

http://www.usef.org/

http://useventing.com/
    While this is a useful system for providing some results, it is by no means comprehensive. There are major gaps in the recording of the results in the Equine Canada database which I believe is largely due to the fact that the onus is on the event organizers to submit the results (which many do not). I would hazard a guess (based on my own observations) that about 30% of event results are excluded from this database. When I have sold event horses to American buyers, I am often asked for show records since they assume that we have as efficient a system as the USEA for recording results. I end up having to look up each of the results individually between Eventingnews, Event Entries and the Equine Canada database and sending the links to the interested party.

I second Sea Lion; I'm interested to see what he produces. I have not met/seen him in person so I am no authority on his temperament, but I really admire his genuineness over fences based on the video footage I've seen; he seems very clever and always tries to get to the other side of the fence. (This is in no way a criticism of his rider; we all miss distances and I, for one, expect my upper level horses to be reasonably honest and help me out from time to time!)

Where do you stand on the addition of some Arab/Shagya blood? I love the idea of Persiflage, I'm excited that he is going to be available in North America. Have you considered Bonaparte N? Sadly also only available by frozen, but definitely worth a look based on performance results and pedigree for sport.

I recently spoke to Sea Lion's owner Pam and she is very nice and easy to get a hold of. She very willingly sent me his ATA inspection report which is quite impressive. He's definitely an exciting stallion who has been more focused on competition than breeding these last few years. I'm not sure he's the best fit for me, as I prefer something more proven (I'm an amateur and am more risk-averse) and I don't think he has many foals on the ground. He sounds like he has a lovely temperament though and is worth a call to Pam to explore. Tennant Sport Horses represents him and they promptly put me in touch with Pam. He's on my "list" for the future for sure.

Hope this helps!

Quote: I have not met/seen him in person so I am no authority on his temperament...

I handled him for Pam at his ATA approvals in CA last summer. Very sweet horse, quiet type, good ground manners. He is medium-framed and I was really surprised by his body type - used to German TBs, not this type of substantial body. He did not strike me as "TB" when I just walked up to him. Has a very solid, correct foundation and great feet. You can tell he's seen a bit of the world, he knows what is expected of him also in new settings (he jumped the first free jumping chute of his entire life at that inspection and did very well).
    I genuinely liked the guy and hope he gets a chance in the US!

Navarone at Majestic Gaits crosses well with TBs and is producing good eventers

Lot's of good suggestions in this thread!

I would second a lot of them including:

Sea Accounts...love him, he's moving up to Intermediate this weekend in TX and has offspring competing at the FEI levels.

Sea Lion...super excited to see what he produces, he's definitely heavier than most TB's so maybe not right for this mare.

A Fine Romance...obviously an awesome stallion, I wanted to breed to him this year but he's not booking anymore mares.

Halimey Go...really like him and his pedigree. If I remember correctly he didn't seem very tall or big when I saw him in Ocala. He's listed on his website as 16.1h and OP wants something bigger.

Tatendrang...great mover, great mind, long legs.

Another stallion I like a lot is Stiletto. He's got a lot of blood, is approved with ATA and is the sire of Allison Springer's new ride Copycat Chloe who has run at the 3* level.
    Last edited by Tennant Sport Horses; Apr. 1, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
    http://tennantsporthorses.com/stallion-services/

Proudly representing the outstanding stallions, Ballzauber, Sea Accounts xx, Sea Lion xx, and Tagaelen!

My outside the box suggestion would be Lotus T. He doesn't have any in the job at FEI levels. I don't think it's for lack of ability. He just hasn't really been marketed that way. His offspring tend to have easy going personalities and they can jump. There is a lot more $ for A/O jumpers so that seems to be where they end up.

Lotus is quite tall and tends to throw tall (although the odd 16.1 hand baby has popped up) He's a high percentage TB blood, out of a very nice TB mare. He's approved AHHA and RPSI.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Out of the box: Landfriese II. There is frozen available through Rainbow Equus. Lots of TB and he can move and jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Babble View Post
    Thanks all - this is great info. Some new names tossed around that I hadn't heard before so I have some more research to do. I love the wealth of knowledge available on COTH!

Tasker - unfortunately I am still trying to fill in that blank. My mare came from New Jersey and her dam was a horse named Chatter Box (sired by Abundance), but I don't know Chatter Box's dam's name (I think she was a TB). Any chance (long shot I know ) you remember the mare?

Viney - her For Play foal so far seems to be slightly more refined than she was. I think For Play really improved her front end and her neck, which is great. He looks like his sire from the whithers forward and his dam behind the whithers. These pictures are a bit old (he was at most four months in the later pictures), but you can see at least some of both her and and the foal here. Sorry, no good confo picks though: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d2f9c7d5d7
    Hope you can see the album!

Diane - Don't tell me that! I'm afraid this little guy might be a launching pad too! Though gelding mellowed him greatly, so I might have a prayer of staying on!

Love the discussion - keep the ideas coming!
    Sorry to say I don't know the dam of your mare but for reference purposes, Abundance was here in the 1970's and I was born in '76. It might pay to contact my mom as she rode Babamist as well as Abundance and dozens of his offspring. But fwiw a couple of clients have bred their Babamist mares back into our stallion roster to help settle the mind and add size. There have been mixed results as far as size but the rideability is improved. When bred to stallions that are at least 60% blood, the resulting foals/young horses can pass for full bloods but have not been reliably 16.2+ - some are big and the others are well under 15.1 but that particular mare does not seem to be making "horse" size offspring no matter who the sire is.

The other contact I would recommend is contacting either Bruce or Buck to get their thoughts on breeding suggestions as they (obviously) know her pedigree/performance.

I have my AFR/Stagedoor Johnny mare in foal to Carracci. Seeing video of his heart and temperment and boldness competing GP with a 12yo was compelling. He also has clever feet and is 1/4 tb with 50% tb blood and has fresh semen. Other Caretino sons have evented upper level, including one in the last Olympics. So my out of box idea for you!

Though I'm not sure if he would be 'the one' for your mare, I would suggest Pacific Star STV. He has bred some nice intermediate level eventers (think Executive Decision ridden by Jessica Phoenix). He himself was aimed towards the dressage ring - but I have seen his pictures jumping and *wow* is all I can say. We have a young mare by him, coming five, and while she is still very green and learning, the mind and movement can't be beat. She loves to jump, will hack on a buckle and is not phased by anything.

In my experience he does throw size though - our mare is about 16.2 + and still has some growing to do. A half-sister in the barn is about 17 hands and has competed at prelim/training (also young and just getting out). I'm sure the breeder could point you to more offspring that are doing very well but from what I've seen I like.

Here is his page with pictures/information: http://www.travishallequestrian.ca/pacificstar.php

One caveat - if you're aiming for the big events (i.e. Burghley/Rolex) as your definition of upper level, you might want to consider a stallion with more blood than what Pacific Star can offer. However, if you would like to dabble in the mid-big events (i.e. 2 or 3 stars), I think he has shown that his offspring can do it nicely and pack amateurs around!

Quote Originally Posted by *Tradewind* View Post
    While this is a useful system for providing some results, it is by no means comprehensive. There are major gaps in the recording of the results in the Equine Canada database which I believe is largely due to the fact that the onus is on the event organizers to submit the results (which many do not). I would hazard a guess (based on my own observations) that about 30% of event results are excluded from this database. When I have sold event horses to American buyers, I am often asked for show records since they assume that we have as efficient a system as the USEA for recording results. I end up having to look up each of the results individually between Eventingnews, Event Entries and the Equine Canada database and sending the links to the interested party.
    Good to know.

I am more familiar with the USEF. I know with USEF you can search Horse Recordings inputting the sire's name to find all of his recorded offspring. Then you can look up each individual horse's show results almost seven years back.

Does the EC have that same option for searching a sire's get show results?

I have often searched for horse's supposed show records only to be disappointed that there is not even any record of the horse(s) being recorded with the governing organization. I suppose the accuracy or inaccuracy of any show results at that point is probably pretty much a moot point?
    Horsezee

Good to know.

I am more familiar with the USEF. I know with USEF you can search Horse Recordings inputting the sire's name to find all of his recorded offspring. Then you can look up each individual horse's show results almost seven years back.

Does the EC have that same option for searching a sire's get show results?

I have often searched for horse's supposed show records only to be disappointed that there is not even any record of the horse(s) being recorded with the governing organization. I suppose the accuracy or inaccuracy of any show results at that point is probably pretty much a moot point?
    No, unfortunately there's no way to look up offspring results by sire through the Equine Canada database. There are fewer search options than when searching on USEF.

Good to know.

?
    You can go back a LOT further than 7 years on USEF.
    If the horse showed in a rated division you can look up those pages back to 1999 by manipulating the URL.
    Once you find the horse on the division page then all the results for that year are available. It is a bit tedious and you do have to search each year ( 1999,2000 etc) but it can be a great research tool when checking claims of results that are just outside USEF's results engine parameters.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Tennant - Cyriz is doing Prelim this week and moves up to Intermediate in three weeks at Holly Hill. Just to clarify.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Re size on Halimey - officially listed in Germany with 167cm, that's solid 16.2h.