The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Can you handle another eventing stallion discussion?

Hi all,

Looking for some out of the box ideas, as I seem to be going though the same ones over and over again. I would like to breed my TB/Han. mare for an eventing baby. This foal would be for myself, and hopefully an upper level prospect.

About my mare: she is by Babamist out of an Abundance (Hanoverian) mare. She evented through the CCI** level with Buck Davidson (back when CCI's were still long format) and then took me through my young rider years, with several years at the prelim/CCI* level before retiring her at the age of 17. She is built like a tank, was an XC machine, was sound as a pound, and got fit by breathing And she packed my teenage butt around many-a-prelim course!

We bred her twice already, although we lost one foal very young. I have her eight month old son on the ground now - he is by the Hanoverian stallion For Play, and I love everything about him. He was a bit of a pistol early on, but gelding seems to have cured that! He so far seems to be a lovely mover and is extremely brave and confident. I guess time will tell, but I am very excited about his future. Obviously, another For play baby isn't in the cards because of For Play's untimely passing last fall. I would love to breed the mare again, but am having a hard time coming up with ideas that I like.

Here are my requirements:
    1. Not frozen - she is older and we had trouble getting her in foal the first time - given her age, I don't want to mess around with frozen.
    2. Good temperament - this is probably her biggest weakness. While I adore her, she was tricky and definitely not everyone's cup of tea! She is quit sensitive, though not your typical "hot" horse, so I would like to use a stallion known for throwing well-tempered babies.
    3. Pretty tall. I am 5'10", mare is 16.1. While I love those Connemara crosses, I don't think they are right for us.
    4. Good uphill balance - mare is not downhill herself, but not uphill either, so that could be improved.
    5. Good mover/jumper - of course we all want this in every stallion, right? Mare was a decent, but not spectacular mover and jumper (I would say she was more workmanlike than fancy). Galloping cross country was always her strong point, with SJ/dressage being more of a struggle (though that was partly temperament - see #2).

I have read a lot of the other eventing sire threads, but none of the stallions I have come across yet have quite fit my requirements or piqued my interest. Also, and this is not intended as an insult to anyone as it is only a personal preference, but I am generally not a huge Trakhener fan - you can try and convince me, but it might be a hard sell I have generally thought, given my requirements and her strengths/weaknesses, that a full TB stallion wouldn't be the best match for her either (despite the fact that she isn't full TB, she definitely rides like one) but would be curious to hear opinions on that. There are a few thoroughbred stallions here in North America that I like, but I am just unsure if that is the best match for her. I am willing to take the risk on something without proven eventing offspring if the fit is right.

I should also add that I am not concerned about registry at all.

Thanks! I love reading these threads and will be interested to see what discussion this one brings!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

First thing I'd do if I were you would be to go to the USEF and look at the 2012 leading eventing sire list. Get a feel for what bloodlines are doing well here. Then take a look at some of the top German horses who are registered with Hannover, like Dibo's FRH Fantasia and see how she's bred. Then see if you can find comparable bloodlines in the US. I just looked and she is 1/4th SF, so you might be interested in some of the SFs who have produced event horses in the US.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

A Fine Romance would be my first choice.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Laurierace - I love love love AFR but I read on another thread that he isn't booking to any more mares this season.

Viney - the SF idea is an interesting one. I'll need to dig around and figure out what is available in the US.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well if a trakehner stallion could tempt you it might be Tatendrang-he has legs that go forever and seems to pass that along. His dressage is tops and he has progress quickly in his eventing.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tatendrang

one of my favorite pictures
    https://www.facebook.com/Tatendrang#...type=3&theater
    Last edited by omare; Mar. 25, 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: add

Second Tatendrang.

Another you might look at is the newly imported Halimey Go, currently eventing with Michael Pollard. His temperament is apparently exemplary - his sire is an Anglo-Arab and his dam a TB x Trakehner.

Virginian Sky might be worth a look at too - he's basically an Anglo Arabian - approved both in the Sport Arabian stud book and Trakehner. He's eventing with Natalie Rooney-Pitts.

Good luck!

If I was looking for French blood I might investigate the Pollards Querdolan, and I've been secretly pondering the possibilities for Edelweiss De Bonce. Competed as a pure dressage horse but his pedigree screams jump. ( you said out of the box)

I'm going to go even farther out of the box and say I have a Palladio filly that I can't say enough good things about, and that everybody who has seen her loves. She is fancy, level headed confident and kind. Palladio also has a newly approved stallion son who is being produced as an eventer. I'd breed to him again in a heart beat.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

If Canada isn't too much of a stretch, besides the two that Phoenix Farm mentioned, take a look at Ilian de Taute. I was going to suggest Edelweiss de Bonce as a possible.

If you're open to TBs, Sea Lion started Rolex last year, but didn't finish. His TB name is Sea Elephant. He's a confirmed 3* horse and was just approved by the ATA. His immediate sire line (Sea Salute) has produced several excellent sport horses, including Sylva Martin's pure dressage Sea Lord. Not sure of the temperament though.

Look up Rather Well on his FB page. He is currently eventing at the Advanced level, is a jaw dropping and brave jumper, is a super nice stallion temperament wise and all of his offspring seem to have inherited that same jumping ability and temperament

What about Bliss MF? Gatsby? Guaranteed Gold?

Have fun in your search!

Querdolan is available frozen only. Guaranteed Gold has no FEI offspring, and all but one of his USEF offspring have done nothing over jumps since 2008. The one is a very nice 1/2 QH children's jumper, but all the rest have done only hunter breeding. (I just researched all his offspring at the USEF). Rather Well has no FEI offspring and no FEI record himself. I have not yet done a USEF search on his offspring.

4 members found this post helpful.

Rather Well has an FEI record.
    https://data.fei.org/Horse/Performan...70436ACEE12637
    He has several offspring competing at preliminary. He has at least two offspring that have gone intermediate.
    He is probably the most qualified of all the currently available TB stallions.

I always watch these threads with interest, as I hope to be in this market in the next year or two

Two that JER has used that I think are interesting are Flexible and an Akhal-Teke named Super Star. She's been positive about him. I think the Flexible foal is due this year?

I also spoke with Mary Hazzard and she had a filly by Soprano that she was VERY high on. Really could not say enough nice things about her. Not sure if she was under saddle yet--she was either just started or close, based on the age alone.
    Last edited by Simkie; Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Snowford O'Donnell RID. He has some nice eventing sport horse offspring out of thoroughbred mares. Plus he is very level headed and athletic.
    A horse will save me

Color me embarassed. The Dutch Database that I use to start looking for FEI results is obviously incomplete. I've emailed the database with Rather Well's FEI record and his pedigree. They are Dutch and focus more on dressage and jumping, so perhaps North American eventing slipped through a crack in his case.
    I'll never make that mistake again. It's now burned into my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    Rather Well has an FEI record.
    https://data.fei.org/Horse/Performan...70436ACEE12637
    He has several offspring competing at preliminary. He has at least two offspring that have gone intermediate.
    He is probably the most qualified of all the currently available TB stallions.

JER is not a Cruising fan. Her pick this year was Flexible.

I second Halimey, impeccable temperament and plenty of offspring on the ground (in Europe) to prove he is no exception. His direct dam line is the one of Hohenstein - Trakehner or not, one of the most proven rideability and "cooperation" producers the warmblood world has seen so far. Huge success in Hanover too.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    First thing I'd do if I were you would be to go to the USEF and look at the 2012 leading eventing sire list. Get a feel for what bloodlines are doing well here.
    Generally speaking I would agree with this, however right now I have a problem with the list for 2012. I was concerned to see A Fine Romance so far down the list, and noticed they had not included the quite outstanding 2012 results of his daughter Landmark's Legendary Romance.

http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...&badpoints=npb

She is clearly in their database, and he is clearly listed as the sire.
    I am not a mathematician, but by my rough calculation her points earned increase A Fine Romance's total to 526, which would put him 13th on the list, ahead of Cavalier Royale.
    I have been in touch with the USEF about this, but as of this date, no correction has been made.

(apologies to the OP for taking the thread slightly off course)
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Babble View Post
    Thanks Laurierace - I love love love AFR but I read on another thread that he isn't booking to any more mares this season.

Thank you too Laurierace and thank you Babble.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!