The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    I agree with most of your post, but asking the horse to change bend for the lead change is one surefire way to miss the change behind if the horse's changes are iffy. Changes should be done straight, without bending the head/neck. Most will change by lifting the new inside hand slightly and shifting the haunches slightly to the new inside by using the outside leg slightly behind the girth.
    By changing the bend I don't mean aggressively pulling the whole head/neck around. Like another poster said, it should be just enough to see the eyelashes. It's like when you are asking for the correct lead to pick up the canter. Yes, they need to be straight, but there should be a slight bend so they know which lead you want. That's what I mean by GENTLY asking for the change in bend.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    So to "try" to make it simple, I canter on left lead across the diagonal and start moving my horse with my right leg to the "left" keeping the left bend, then hold with right leg, slide left leg back and right rein to change the bend softly and ask as if you were asking for a canter with your left leg.
    I think what you just said is the method the trainer is using in the link I posted above. Yes or no?
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    What do you think of this trainer's method?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrbF9cSzwHA

Skip to 1:15.
    Anyone else think his explanation of how to execute the flying change is well done but his demonstration is lacking? He seems to be contradicting what he is describing to do and what he is actually doing.

At one point he says something along the lines of "the hardest part about asking for a change is staying perfectly still" as he proceeds to drop his new inside shoulder and you can actually see his leg come off of the horse.

Side note: Love his accent

Another side note: Love that horse
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Going counter clockwise, you put your left foot in, and your right foot out, do it all again and you're cantering all about. Don't over think it, feel for the moment to set up the "ask" for success. Ok, not as easy as that. Get the bend, set yourself up, and ask. I used to think ok, so now we are set up, when do I ask, what do I do? Now , I go by feel. Once you get the feel, it all comes. Not much help, eh, sorry.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

1 members found this post helpful.

Really best to get help from a live person that is watching you than a bunch of people on the internet that can't see you or your horse - LOL

The way I ask my 4th level dressage horse for a change is quite a bit different from the way I ask my hunter for the change. I suppose in theory it should be the same but a dressage trainer put the changes on the dressage horse (long before I bought her) and my hunter trainer "put" the changes on the hunter. I have put in quotes because she came across the diagonal, asked and the mare did a perfect change the first time. It has been that easy with her which makes it nice for me! On her super easy side, all we do is give a little squeeze on the new inside rein and voila - you get a lovely change. The other side is a tad trickier but is getting easier all the time. The other side requires a bit more dramatic inside rein aid and a little kick with the new outside leg. Although the kick with the outside leg isn't always necessary any more.

On my dressage mare, all you do is sit up, get her totally straight and very active and THINK change and you get it. Heaven forbid you use a leg aid - she gets very offended that you "yelled" at her - LOL
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Keep the horse very straight and squeeze with your new outside leg. It should not be complicated.
    friend of bar*ka

My guy went off to full training to learn because I had no business attempting to teach him myself. He came back with a great change as long as you held the new outside rein to keep him very straight and used a soft outside spur just behind the girth. The key is just to keep him very straight and not wait for the corner because he'll just dive and look a mess through the change.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    Anyone else think his explanation of how to execute the flying change is well done but his demonstration is lacking? He seems to be contradicting what he is describing to do and what he is actually doing.

At one point he says something along the lines of "the hardest part about asking for a change is staying perfectly still" as he proceeds to drop his new inside shoulder and you can actually see his leg come off of the horse.

Side note: Love his accent

Another side note: Love that horse
    Actually, I think MOST of what he says is absolute, well, bollocks. But the core part is right on. He started, stopped, hesitated, and stuttered so much that I actually made a transcript of what he says as follows.

Hi, I'm Edward Bullock, Grand Prix show-jumping rider.

Today I'm going to work on showing you and demonstrating to you flying changes. A flying change is when your horse changes on one rein with its leads and inside lead lengthening quite a bit more on with it's inside lead. When going to the other rein your horse is going to have to change its action to suit the other rein so that it's inside lead will be stitching up forward on the other rein. And it's important that both the front end and the back leads also change your leads. So both the front lead and the back lead {unintellible} forward - stride.

I'm going to start on my right rein and pick up the canter.

The important thing on a flying change is to actually have your horse going forward. If your horse is going too short and slow like I demonstrated in my last episode - my last episode - is the problem is your horse is going to be just change in front and not behind. So I always have my horse going forward. Sometimes I'll ask him to change at a gallop with the new ones. The important thing is as I'm asking I'm trying to sit tall and using my new inside leads. So I canter up with my left leg on keeping him bent to my left and then I put my right leg on and my left leg goes back at the same time. The hardest bit to do is do it while sitting still on your horse.

When training a horse, a novice horse, I often practice on a more forward stride even when galloping and doing fitness training. So, and when galloping then I can just change. I find its a really good way to take your horses {unintellible} more relaxed on your fitness {unintelligible} by going forward.

Next week I'm going to explain the different areas and ways to train your horse with fitness and preparation for show jumping events.
    It's that bolded sentence that is pure gold, and that, along with watching him do the changes is what makes this the best HUNTER/JUMPER lead change video on youtube (that I've found).
    Last edited by altjaeger; Mar. 27, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

The fact that you don't know how to do a lead change yet are "showing on the a circuit" have by your own admission thousands and thousands of dollars worth of show clothes and tack is kind of disturbing...

Quote Originally Posted by Alter_nativ3 View Post
    The fact that you don't know how to do a lead change yet are "showing on the a circuit" have by your own admission thousands and thousands of dollars worth of show clothes and tack is kind of disturbing...
    See: all the adult amateurs who show Second Level dressage or below, and get over it.

Making fun of someone for something they admit they don't know and are politely asking for help is a pretty low move. Do you feel better now that you tried to take this person (who has also stated she is 15) down a peg?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    See: all the adult amateurs who show Second Level dressage or below, and get over it.

Making fun of someone for something they admit they don't know and are politely asking for help is a pretty low move. Do you feel better now that you tried to take this person (who has also stated she is 15) down a peg?

Agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    I think what you just said is the method the trainer is using in the link I posted above. Yes or no?
    I don't know because I didn't watch (or see) the link posted.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Read her posts maybe you will change your tune..The inconsistencies are glaring and beyond trollish. While I believe she is 15 and can't do lead changes, those are probably the only details that are true.
    Last edited by Alter_nativ3; Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling

I did a clinic with Otis Brown and he describes it as a three-step process.

1. Slow down.
    2. Move the horse's shoulder slightly to the outside.
    3. Apply the aids.

All horses are different. For my guy, it is a real process (and sometimes rather dramatic). I have to really sit up and get him on his haunches. He needs to be really straight. I use an outside rein, move the haunches slightly in, then apply my new outside leg.

Aw, who am I kidding? Mostly I just pull on my inside rein, collapse into a heap, and pray to the Goddess of Lead Changes.

2 members found this post helpful.

Read her posts maybe you will change your tune..The inconsistencies are glaring and beyond trollish. While I believe she is 15 and can't do lead changes, those are probably the only details that are true.
    Nope, still not going to agree with being a jerk to someone who politely asked a question. If you have problems with specific inconsistencies in other threads she has participated in you can of course point them out in where they arise.

If she is the same Gabriela Mershad that has videos on YouTube, she's actually quite a good rider, although her horse doesn't always change clean.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    If she is the same Gabriela Mershad that has videos on YouTube, she's actually quite a good rider, although her horse doesn't always change clean.
    The OP is not that girl, although I have been told that someone tries to impersonate her in various areas around the web (tumblr, etc.).

She is not Gabriela Mershad although it seems she tries very hard to impersonate her. Sorry that you do not agree with me being a "jerk" meupotatoes but using some one else's name on a public message board should not be encouraged.

She is not Gabriela Mershad although it seems she tries very hard to impersonate her. Sorry that you do not agree with me being a "jerk" meupotatoes but using some one else's name on a public message board should not be encouraged.
    What would have been so difficult about posting,

"OP, you seem to be impersonating Gabriela Mershad based on the following [insert reasons/posts/etc]. It is really not cool to impersonate somebody else on the internet."

Thus it is possible to clearly and directly address your issues with the OP without resorting to being a jerk yourself.

3 members found this post helpful.

I actually don't see anything wrong with my initial post, but thank you for the pointers.

Hasn't Gabriela Mershad aged out already anyways? I feel like I saw her when I was helping my friend Shelby with her NCAA recruitment video.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים