The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shouldn't they have thought of this earlier?

The CDI in Loxahatchee this weekend has been cancelled. Here's their reason:
    "Please be advised that the Dressage at Equestrian Estates CDI3* Loxahathee, FL USA to be held at the IHS Champions Horse Park at Equestrian Estates March 28-31, 2013 has been canceled for this year's 2013 date as this date coincides with the holiday week of Passover & Easter."

Did no one look at a calendar when they scheduled it???

2 members found this post helpful.

By the way, they only announced this yesterday, long after people had already entered. Guess it was going to be too small?

There's lots of shows all over the US that weekend. Usually shows reserve weekends well in advance, and traditional Easter activities. I wonder if it was Passover that made the difference? hmn ....
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Easter and Passover change each year, but it's not like the dates are picked at random. If you know when the vernal equinox is and when the moon is full, it's pretty easy to figure out.

Methinks they just didn't get enough entries.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah- dates have to be submitted to the FEI very early, and are generally carefully chosen because competitions risk having their dates taken away the next year if they don't use them.

I'd bet there were very few entries for a few reasons: Easter, Passover, late in the season, weekend after a bigger CDI.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Easter and Passover change each year, but it's not like the dates are picked at random. If you know when the vernal equinox is and when the moon is full, it's pretty easy to figure out.

Methinks they just didn't get enough entries.
    Or if you have no idea when the vernal equinox is and never look up at night, but have heard of "google."

9 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps entries were thin? Perhaps!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

USDF lists something like 23 or 24 dressage competitions in the Wellington/WPB area through the end of March. A friend who lives in the area said there have been so many shows that entries have gotten thin, with some classes having just 2-3 competitors. My guess is people are burned out by now, and/or have blown through their budget.

It will be interesting to see how next year's calendar looks. At the moment, they have a lot of CDIs scheduled again, so the later shows may again be affected by thin entries.

1 members found this post helpful.

A local show - three star - was scheduled for that weekend. They just cancelled the Sunday - and now, oddly, they're asking if anyone WANTS to scratch, since they have a waiting list for the Saturday show and have had to add a judge. (Good grief, I didn't think to ask who! My BO is a judge and often called into service when they need a judge in a hurry, and of course, I can't ride in front of her! Yikes. I better call and check!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    A local show - three star - was scheduled for that weekend. They just cancelled the Sunday - and now, oddly, they're asking if anyone WANTS to scratch, since they have a waiting list for the Saturday show and have had to add a judge. (Good grief, I didn't think to ask who! My BO is a judge and often called into service when they need a judge in a hurry, and of course, I can't ride in front of her! Yikes. I better call and check!)
    Interesting - the USDF site shows this:
    (Cancelled) Dressage at Equestrian Estates
    3/28/2013-3/31/2013

That looks to me as if the entire thing has been cancelled.

Also interesting that USDF shows the dates as 3/28 - 3/31, but the pbderby site shows the dates as 3/29 - 4/1.

The Dressage Prix de Villes at Lake Erie College was just cancelled a few days ago for the same reason. I doubt that Passover had anything to do with it, but I'd be willing to bet that light entries due to it being Easter sure did.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

The first week of April is spring break for many school systems. Lots of folks have family commitments during that time, so that could be another reason for light entries.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Interesting - the USDF site shows this:
    (Cancelled) Dressage at Equestrian Estates
    3/28/2013-3/31/2013

That looks to me as if the entire thing has been cancelled.

Also interesting that USDF shows the dates as 3/28 - 3/31, but the pbderby site shows the dates as 3/29 - 4/1.
    Sorry that I wasn't clear. I was just saying that a show in MY area (California) had a show scheduled for Saturday and Easter Sundy and cancelled the Easter Sunday portion.

Shows get their "date" with USEF years in advance. Like the 8th weekend of the year or the 15th weekend of the year. If it falls on a holiday - that is too bad - but there is no moving or changing the date. Once you have your dates - you are locked in. You cancel - but you can't move. Sandy -The added on judge is Joan Williams. There were no judges available on Easter for the GEC show - I know they tried.
    RoseLane Sportponies - Home of
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- International FEI Dressage Pony Stallion