The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "BAD horsekeeping" near YOU--who & why?

This is a spinoff thread about what YOU find in your area the reasons and scenarios are for sub-standard horsecare. We all gasp at some of the CL horses we see, and many have cited too many horses or economic hardship. I believe based on what I've been reading there may be significant regional variation. What are you seeing in YOUR area? Who are the perps, and what do you believe the main problem with them is?

I'll start: Here are our most common messes in southern New England:

(1) Well-meaning but ignorant. Horse is wanted and "loved," but people don't know what they need to be doing with feeding, farrier, vet, riding/training, sometimes even fencing. Ususally a little education from Animal Control will take care of it, but some are unteachable, or have attitudes AND are unteachable.

(2) Failure to Evolve. Horse is wanted but often retired/old. Owner is frequently a lifetime horseperson with plenty of money and nice place, but they think keeping horses to standards common 40 years ago is just fine. This means getting desperately skinny at 20+ is "normal," worming-floating-trimming not so much, vaccinations optional. Tend to get very pissy when Animal Control comes to call!

(3) The Collector. Frequently a half-baked "dealer" or "riding school" that keeps 5 unusables for every viable horse until they are too broke to pay for hay, vet care, help. Often an older person who stops "seeing" what they're "looking at." Early intervention to be preferred, usually requires legal remedy. At this time, some "rescuers" totally fit this description.

(4) Asleep at the Switch. Often a life-time horse person of some knowledge, often older, sometimes in financial or health trouble, who is found with a yard full of unbroken, middle-aged "babies" and mares in foal for no better reason than that the person has "always done it" and doesn't know how to stop. Defensive of their enormous blind spot, these get very ugly.

(5) Why won't you take Grandma? People who buy a horse for their kids, use it until the kids are in grad school, then expect to give it away (why wouldn't you want her?) when she's 28 and needs Pentosan, Ventipulmin and Previcox to stay alive. I tend to put in human terms what they're asking so they get it. Can be worked with; most will keep the horse to it's natural end.

(6) D-Bag Dealers. Like Templeton the Rat, anything for a buck.

Notice very few of these are in legitimate situations of inability to keep the horse(s) properly. More like either don't get it or don't care.

What have YOU got near you? Would love to hear from people actively involved in re-homing horses by whatever method.

Well, I've got a pony hoarding animal control officer...I don't think you can get too much worse than that... and by hoarding, I mean 10+ponies at a time, and "rescuing" more by finding them on the Internet, and then begging people for the funds to care for them.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

1 members found this post helpful.

just check out the obx craigslist farm and garden and you shall see Most of the kids on the OBX who have horses there families really do not have the money to afford board so they "make" pastures, I have seen an old bus used as a section of fence. But I was one of those and from what I have seen I would honestly say, though I was naive and so to are most of the kids down here with horses our horses are either really really tolerant or really really special, good type horses If I had the money I would keep my old mare but down here money is precious so again horses either have to make do or find someone special

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPony View Post
    just check out the obx craigslist farm and garden and you shall see Most of the kids on the OBX
    You've posted stuff like this on several threads now.....am I the only one on this international board who doesn't know what/where "OBX" is? I get it's a region, but...clarify, please?

4 members found this post helpful.

OBX = Outer Banks.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Outer Banks, sorry its so prevalent down here I get so used to saying it. Its in North Carolina. I forget alot that most people really have not vacationed down here Or lived for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    OBX = Outer Banks.
    hahaha we have one person who knows

Outer Banks, sorry its so prevalent down here I get so used to saying it. Its in North Carolina. I forget alot that most people really have not vacationed down here Or lived for that matter
    Okay, thanks, continue on!

hahaha we have one person who knows
    I'm from Maryland...it was either Downyoshun or OBX.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm from Maryland...it was either Downyoshun or OBX.
    Downyoshun? wow I think I would rather pronounce Waxahatchie or Wanchese and yes I guess, go for gallop, we can carry on

...I try to mind my own business unless the horse A) visibly in acute distress and/or near death or B) dead and at risk of getting into the water table/the manure pile is so huge it's catching fire/getting into the water supply upstream of me.

3 members found this post helpful.

Downyoshun? wow I think I would rather pronounce Waxahatchie or Wanchese and yes I guess, go for gallop, we can carry on
    Downyoshun = down to the ocean, in other words, Ocean City,MD. And hey, we had Assawoman Bay. OK, I'm done too.

I reported my neighbor several years ago...starving mares with foals by their side. Guess what? A/C said they looked fine. They didn't. He's moved on to minis. I don't know if the slaughter market dried up for him or just whatever crap regular market he was selling to...but lately I haven't seen any minis either.

He's disgusting. No hay, no feed, no vet care, no vaccinations, no worming. And to top it off he's a nasty piece of work. For a while, when you searched my address on google maps, his place came up....I got that fixed ASAP.

I wanna go move me and my pony to OBX....I'd be such a freak about the sand though. I always say I want to go back down to Wilmington, again with the sand. We're in New Bern and it's not too sandy here.

There a re a couple of places just outside of town, each having a couple of horses that are too thin, on bare muddy tiny fenced areas all the time. I just don't know what is going on with either of them but I know AC has been called before. I don't know why someone would shut a horse up in a muddy pen to just sit. Across the road from one of the places, is this gorgeous little like, 10 acre property with a nice barn and pastures that was for sale a year or so ago. If i owned that place, I would be offering to let those poor horses live with mine, it breaks my heart.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I think there are plenty of these folks around me in the Willamette Valley, OR. We might not have as many elaborate rescue/hoarders as the rest of you. But there are many, many sorta broke, nothing to write home about grade horses here that are kept cheaply. I'd like to see better shoeing, better training and a few more lameness guru vets in the area. But the market doesn't support that stuff, so horse people here get along without it.

That lack of depth in knowledge-- especially the shoeing issue- is one reason my horse isn't here with me. My taste in horsing means that doing it badly where an animal I own is involved is worse than not doing it at all

On a good note: What impresses me are the college students who manage to keep their horses with them while they are in school. Lots of minimum wage jobs here and self-care barns are common. So kids work hard to keep their horses fed.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    I wanna go move me and my pony to OBX....I'd be such a freak about the sand though. I always say I want to go back down to Wilmington, again with the sand. We're in New Bern and it's not too sandy here.

There a re a couple of places just outside of town, each having a couple of horses that are too thin, on bare muddy tiny fenced areas all the time. I just don't know what is going on with either of them but I know AC has been called before. I don't know why someone would shut a horse up in a muddy pen to just sit. Across the road from one of the places, is this gorgeous little like, 10 acre property with a nice barn and pastures that was for sale a year or so ago. If i owned that place, I would be offering to let those poor horses live with mine, it breaks my heart.
    don't do it. Boarding is not expensive (300 a month for pasture) but trying to get off the island to the mainland in the summer well good luck I once sat in traffic for an hour only moved maybe 1 mile before I could find a good turn around spot and say nope to going to the barn. But if you can find it and afford it kitty hawk allows horses but you have to play by the towns "rules" and have fun with that to I mean there is always Wanchese, but again do you want to have to drive 2 hours roundtrip in the summer to get to Wal Mart? yeah I cannot seem to save enough to leave, I loved new bern though, I think it was new bern. The one with the military base, man those guys were cute!

OTOH, I'd venture to say that the Cosmopolitan Way of keeping horses in California sucks in its own way.

Having grown up there, seen seasonal turn out here and having had the pleasure of living in some cheap places on the East Coast, I think lack of TO is heinous. Oh, and the availability of joint injections isn't a solution.

All this is to say that you can't diss the honky tonk areas out of hand.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Downyoshun = down to the ocean, in other words, Ocean City,MD. And hey, we had Assawoman Bay. OK, I'm done too.

I reported my neighbor several years ago...starving mares with foals by their side. Guess what? A/C said they looked fine. They didn't. He's moved on to minis. I don't know if the slaughter market dried up for him or just whatever crap regular market he was selling to...but lately I haven't seen any minis either.

He's disgusting. No hay, no feed, no vet care, no vaccinations, no worming. And to top it off he's a nasty piece of work. For a while, when you searched my address on google maps, his place came up....I got that fixed ASAP.
    Assawoman Bay, that would be a great name for a racer! on our local craigslist there is a bay stallion that is "slowly gaining weight". great, no gelding huh? And a skinny Appy/Thoroughbred mix with long front toes that is still green. That is on the mainland though

Mostly Number One and Hoarding around here. I have a friend I've been slowly trying to educate and help, her horses live in conditions I'd not put a horse in but they are healthy enough. However, haven't had a vet come out in as long as I've known her (her dad shot the horse a couple years ago who needed to be put down, and they are financially very well off) and now has another horse who needs to be put down. Horse is lame lame lame and I've told her that, plus the horse is a petite 14hh and elderly, a hard keeper, and my friend is obese and still rides her.

I try to just ignore it because I enjoy her company otherwise, but sometimes I just want to shake her.

The why?? The 4H here sucks sucks SUCKS and all the kids do 4H because of the big gaming/WP population. Beyond the pretty stuff like colorful sleazies and everyone having Krazy Kolored horses, most of them don't know what scratches are or how to recognize a lame horse. One of the 4H leaders is a local trainer who drops gems such as: "Arabians can't do western pleasure because they can't get that headset," "people love to use gaited horses in dressage," and "your saddle looks a little wide, just use a folded towel under the front of the [English] saddle." So the kids grow up hearing it and repeat it.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    The 4H here sucks sucks SUCKS and all the kids do 4H because of the big gaming/WP population. Beyond the pretty stuff like colorful sleazies and everyone having Krazy Kolored horses, most of them don't know what scratches are or how to recognize a lame horse.
    4-H of this variety is alive here, too. That's really sad, given what 4-H was intended to do way back at its inception.

The gaming thing has produced a bunch of unbroke, scared-looking horses with kids on them who can't control them but don't know how to do better. Lots of tie-downs and creative bitting. Maybe there are good gaming programs out there that I don't know about. But the emphasis on speed seems to be the inciting cause of some piss-poor horsemanship.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4-H depends on volunteers.
    If you think the standard could be improved upon, go for it.

My 4-H leader was a wonderful man, and the local AC used to call on him to go gently educate the ignoranti.

If it weren't for Mr. Luke, I never would have been a DVM.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

9 members found this post helpful.