The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Standing up for what is right is sometimes not the easy thing...right is right even when you are the ONLY person standing...wrong is still wrong even if they rally the "troops" in their "defense"...the truth has no agenda. Kudos to you for doing the right, albeit tough, thing.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by In hiding View Post
    I reported someone in dressage, but did it anonymously. Through the grapevine I am getting status updates...nothing official. I don't feel the least bit guilty. The person I reported is well aware of the rules of the sport, and is the first to cry foul! The evidence was fairly damning, but if nothing comes of it I at least feel I did my part and that person probably had the crap scared our of them!
    Sadly I think cheaters will look for other ways to cheat and people to blame for it.

But I think there is a Karma fairy and what comes around goes around at some point.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

1 members found this post helpful.

I foresee this happening in the not too distant future for me. A little tired of the riders that flaunt the rules and think no one will notice, then ride in the AA...not for long, but I am hoping they do the right thing and declare to be the pro that they are.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

2 members found this post helpful.

Your action will benefit every amateur involved in the sport, to the detriment of cheaters. Everybody in the sport should do their part to keep it honest.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

7 members found this post helpful.

I am shocked that the Cheater was given the name of the person who turned her in... shocked. That is beyond wrong. And then we wonder why people can so blatently break the rules and get away with it.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I am shocked that the Cheater was given the name of the person who turned her in... shocked. That is beyond wrong. And then we wonder why people can so blatently break the rules and get away with it.
    Standard protests are treated like a legal proceeding, with a plaintiff and a defendant. All parties are identified. Many times the person who filed the protest is required to appear at the hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Standard protests are treated like a legal proceeding, with a plaintiff and a defendant. All parties are identified. Many times the person who filed the protest is required to appear at the hearing.
    Which is the way it should be, IMHO. Folks have a right to know who is accusing them of what. It is REALLY difficult, though, when those who are in the wrong are immediately surrounded by their oft times very vocal supporters. The particular situation I'm thinking of - the supporters of the wrong doer knew he had been up to no good - AGAIN - but b/c of his riding/training abilities and the fact they enjoyed winning, they compromised their own integrity and lent their support to him. To make matters worse, those in the horse microcosm around here who were in the know about the guy, just sat back quietly. This issue hits home for me and to this day I will NEVER understand how someone who continually operates in such a devious fashion remains in business and is more than tolerated by other legitimate horsepersons. I guess most folks just want to stay out of it, keep the peace, protect themselves from the wrath of those who get called out, etc. Unfortunately, that just helps to perpetuate the ugly aspects of the horse industry. And so long as there are new waves of unsuspecting clients to draw on...

Kudos to the OP for filing the protest. I hope those in her horse community can grow a pair and stand by her and help insulate her from the supporters of the "one who got caught." It's very tough to be out on the limb alone - been there, done that. One would think, given how small the horse world is, that we could do a better job of self policing and support those who operate from a position of integrity and honesty. And shun those who do not.

I think before the person filing the protest is identified the facts should be investigated. If there is a hearing that person will, of course, have to testify.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for doing the right thing and filing the protest -- please know that even if we aren't in your community, you have a ton of support behind you. This is an issue that (as an amateur) I can completely relate to and I see it happen all the time - so thank you for standing up for all of us

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Thank you for doing the right thing and filing the protest -- please know that even if we aren't in your community, you have a ton of support behind you. This is an issue that (as an amateur) I can completely relate to and I see it happen all the time - so thank you for standing up for all of us
    This for sure!

Thankfully the people giving you a hard time are showing their true colors. It will hopefully show to some out there what type of business person this is.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    The right to face your accusesr is pretty much an accepted part of "due process"
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    The right to face your accusesr is pretty much an accepted part of "due process"
    I was going to say the same thing. It prevents people from just randomly accusing people they don't like for whatever reason (and the $). I am not saying that is the case with the OP. I feel she has a lot of courage to file the protest.

I also think OP should go to the show. People don't want to be "ratted out"? Good. Stay clean and then you can concentrate on your ride, not trying to hide activities.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I guess I just can't understand why people would WANT to cheat? It's stupid....if you're a pro...go compete with the pro's and if you're good enough you will reap the rewards. Why go compete against the Ammy's??? Makes no sense at all....rules are pretty clear and cut so it's not very hard to misunderstand.

And what's so great about being a pro and saying "oh yeah! I just beat out a class of Ammy's!"
    My response: "Whew! I sure am glad! You ARE a pro after all! Now go try that in the pro ring......"
    I think there are just some people out there that are neither pro's or ammy's...they are just cheaters at the sport and that's all they will ever be. My motto is to do it right the first time and stay that way.....otherwise get out of dodge.

As others have said, kudos to you for filing the protest. I would say that you should keep any evidence you have of harassment from the accused party. You may not need to present this evidence, but I think you should keep it just in case. I agree that due process requires that the accused be able to face their accuser, but it does not give carte blanche for the accused to harass or intimidate the accuser. In a true court of law there are some protections against that type of harassment (not to say it always works).

With regard to this point, I think there are two primary reasons people violate the ammie rules: 1) for financial gain, and 2) due to misunderstanding of the rule. Most of the shamateurism I have suspected seems fueled by improving the record of a sale horse (financial), a young adult that cannot compete otherwise (financial for the young adult, and may relate to building the sale horse record), or someone inadvertently violating the rules (misunderstanding of rule, but no excuse really).

I guess I just can't understand why people would WANT to cheat? It's stupid....if you're a pro...go compete with the pro's and if you're good enough you will reap the rewards. Why go compete against the Ammy's??? Makes no sense at all....rules are pretty clear and cut so it's not very hard to misunderstand.

OP, I salute you. Thank you for having the cojones to do what most people would only complain about. Shame on anyone who gives you a hard time.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

5 members found this post helpful.

Hang in there, you did the right thing!!! I had a similar experience where I spoke out about a product that I felt was not of great quality and the person hounded me via texts and posted some not very nice things on Facebook. Whatever. Sometimes things just need to be said/shared/corrected/fill in the blank. Just stinks that when you stand up for what is right, people get so nasty about it. Take your lumps, folks!!!

I third what Phoebe said. Last year, I boarded at a barn where the BM was showing as an amateur when she should have been showing as a professional. I desperately wanted to file a formal protest against her, but for obvious reasons, couldn’t do it until I found a new place to board. Such was my luck that shortly after I left, she decided, “Oh, I think I’m going to give up my amateur status and become a professional by starting to teach lessons!” Nevermind the fact that she was already running a facility and getting paid to exercise other people’s horses, etc.

So thank you, OP, for what you did. I hope that people get a grip and stop their harassment, which is something else I would be bringing up, if possible, when you attend the hearing. Best of luck to you!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I third what Phoebe said. Last year, I boarded at a barn where the BM was showing as an amateur when she should have been showing as a professional. I desperately wanted to file a formal protest against her, but for obvious reasons, couldn’t do it until I found a new place to board. Such was my luck that shortly after I left, she decided, “Oh, I think I’m going to give up my amateur status and become a professional by starting to teach lessons!” Nevermind the fact that she was already running a facility and getting paid to exercise other people’s horses, etc.

So thank you, OP, for what you did. I hope that people get a grip and stop their harassment, which is something else I would be bringing up, if possible, when you attend the hearing. Best of luck to you!
    Before you say that someone is a pro an understanding of the rules is helpful.
    Running a board facility does not make you a pro.
    Exercising horses for pay is something else but how do you know the barn owner was getting paid?
    The rules changed this year. 'AND renumeration' is now in play.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Yes but this is when all parties know a hearing is actually going to take place. At this point from what we've been told all thats happened is the protest has been filed. It seems more than fair to me that things should be kept anonymous until the USEF has made a decision. When that happens, obviously the protest will have to be made public and the showing community aware of decisions made. Until that time filed protests should be kept quiet, IMO, to avoid what the OP is going through.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Well said Phoebe.

Doing the right thing is never easy. I applaud you Please know in a small way you taking a stand for amateurs everywhere, thanks!