The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I went to a show a few years back that a far drive but close enough to haul in. Since I was traveling a distance alone, I had one of my dogs with me as Copilot. He's quiet, either crated when I'm not there or in my tack room in my trailer. I came back from the ring and the people in the trailer next to me were VERY upset they were almost attacked by my dog... When they OPENED my tack room to "borrow" my hoof polish! " you shouldn't have a dog like that at a horse show"
    "You would not have known I HAD a dog at the show if you had not gone in my tack room!!!!"
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

16 members found this post helpful.

wow Pennywell that really takes the cake!

that is brass balls for sure. Good for your loyal dog.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I just want to say good for you. We all know horse communities are very small and for as many comments denouncing your actions you are receiving, I can assure you there are probably just as many cheering you on, albeit silently

Hang in there. Doing the right thing isn't always the easy thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    Just being a barn owner or manager does not make you a pro, however, riding your clients horses while being an owner or manager does.
    The rule changed this year.
    In most cases there must be pay involved the word AND was added in many cases.
    There are many barn managers showing horses for free that belong to the farm they run. Protests have not stood up. A lot of the Barn Managers are armed with letters from USEF saying they are legal.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    The rule changed this year.
    In most cases there must be pay involved the word AND was added in many cases.
    There are many barn managers showing horses for free that belong to the farm they run. Protests have not stood up. A lot of the Barn Managers are armed with letters from USEF saying they are legal.
    Not sure what you are referring to. The following is still in the rule book:

[QUOTE] Accepts remuneration AND acts as an employee in a position such as a groom,
    farrier, bookkeeper, veterinarian or barn manager AND instructs, rides, drives
    shows, trains or schools horses that are owned, boardedor trained by his employer,
    any member of his employer’s family, or a business inwhich his employer
    has an ownership interest.
    [/QUOTE]

This is from GR1306 in the 2013 rulebook. I am not sure how that makes it okay for a paid barn manager to ride horses boarded at their place of employment. I don't see where it states the remuneration must be specifically for the riding. If that is the case, I guess my trainer will just become a barn manager and be an amatuer.

Since I don't know the facts and circumstances presented to USEF by all those people that have "letters" saying they are okay, I can not comment. I would, however, be surprised if a paid barn manager was given a pass by USEF if they spent part of their time teaching, schooling and showing for clients.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

3 members found this post helpful.

Good for you for doing this.. I know someone that has been showing as an Amateur and now is teaching, has their own farm. So i am waiting to see if they show as an Amateur this coming year. She just does leadline, but I think that is just the same as teaching in general. Can't teach and take money and still show as an Amateur not even at the local level I think..

I want to see one of these "letters" as I find the existence hard to believe. Anyone have one?

Good For You OP!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

Cheating sucks! You did the rght thing. I am waiting for a certain trainer in my area to be jusdging a show series and have her regular kids be brought to the show by someone else. I am planning to make a big deal of it. It has qualifying classes for state and region finals too, so .....

Cheating pisses me off! Good for you!!!
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Kudos to you for having the guts to stand on your principles, and shame on the people giving you grief for doing so.

Just curious, what ARE the penalties for the professional that shows in amateur classes, and if there is a trainer who knowingly condones this and signs their entry as the trainer, what is the penalty for that trainer?
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by abv1269 View Post
    Kudos to you for having the guts to stand on your principles, and shame on the people giving you grief for doing so.

Just curious, what ARE the penalties for the professional that shows in amateur classes, and if there is a trainer who knowingly condones this and signs their entry as the trainer, what is the penalty for that trainer?
    In my case... The shamateur lost her amateur status. The trainer who signed and the shamateur were fined I think $500 each. The horses lost their ribbons and prize money (if any) from the shows involved in the protest. And they were both suspended for 90 days (of course, timed perfectly during winter so they didn't miss any shows <rolleyes>).

Good for you, OP! It's hard to be the one to take a stand, and I am sorry that you are being given a hard time for doing so. My grandmother always used to say "Chin up!" during rough times...simple advice, but the best advice.

If you are getting nasty emails or messages from people you don't really know, just ignore them. Don't even respond. Delete them and forget about them. Replying - no matter how just your reply may be - just continues the discussion. Ignore them and move on. Enjoy your horse, stick to the people who are supporting you, and chin up!
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

I haven't read this thread before now, but I just wanted to give you, OP, a pat on the back!

This happens all too often and I know a girl in my area, ironically used to be a girl I rode with back a few years ago, that owns a barn now, trains, gives lessons and still enters the ammy classes with her mare.
    She doesn't show in our area and rather goes to larger cities nearby but if she did show locally, I would be doing the same as you.

It is funny though, every one complains about something or other but they don't want to stick their neck out and confront the person to try and address the problem.
    Then, when someone is ballsy enough to do what we all were thinking, they get hounded. People are very much stuck in 'pack' mentality and think it is a weakness to be singled out.

Absolutely absurd if you ask me but this is horse world and can be pretty cut throat at times. Good on you, I wish more people would take your example. I am an avid supporter!

I have great admiration for you OP, too many people just look the other way. Anyone that criticizes you just needs to be told you won't condone cheating, and the people who are harassing you should be ashamed. I wish more people had your courage.

4 members found this post helpful.

OP, when you say you filed under an "ALTER" do you mean under a different name? If so, it's very disturbing that the person you reported knows who reported them. There are riders in my area in H/J and eventing who blatantly break the rules and compete as amateurs and it goes on year after year. I figure everybody is too scared to report them for the exact reasons you are experiencing. How sad that there is peer pressure to turn a blind eye to breaking the rules. Guess I am a believer that the rules are to be followed...ALL of the rules, not just the ones that are to our personal taste. And yet just watch the warm up ring at Thermal to see all the dressage whips being used (and ignored by the stewards), or comment on a photo of a rider at an A show without a helmet and half the people on facebook jump down your throat that it's okay for them to break the rules. Since when does the exhibitor get to choose which rules to follow? Anyhow, done with the rant, sorry you are in this position!

I am not trying to start a argument on amateur status as a I accept rules are rules and so be it. I just find it sad that some horse crazy young adult that is trying to ride a bit better and probably can't even afford a horse gets dragged into a being a pro because she accepts a few bucks to sit on someone's horse. Even it she has sat behind a desk for 12 hours for a big corporation And then someone else who has never worked in the real world (or horse world) but has mega daddy bucks is an amateur. It's so easy to understand why there are so many "pros" who really should not be pros at all. I have no real beef - just think it is sad. And yes yes these are choices I know etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dinah-do View Post
    ?......some horse crazy young adult that is trying to ride a bit better and probably can't even afford a horse gets dragged into a being a pro because she accepts a few bucks to sit on someone's horse. Even it she has sat behind a desk for 12 hours for a big corporation And then someone else who has never worked in the real world (or horse world) but has mega daddy bucks is an amateur. It's so easy to understand why there are so many "pros" who really should not be pros at all.
    The USEF definition of a "pro" has no correlation to ability. There are good and bad pros in this industry, as there are in others. There are amateurs that can ride circles around any of the top Professionals and are ammies because they never sit on anyone else's horse. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by eaconlee View Post
    OP, when you say you filed under an "ALTER" do you mean under a different name? If so, it's very disturbing that the person you reported knows who reported them. There are riders in my area in H/J and eventing who blatantly break the rules and compete as amateurs and it goes on year after year. I figure everybody is too scared to report them for the exact reasons you are experiencing. How sad that there is peer pressure to turn a blind eye to breaking the rules. Guess I am a believer that the rules are to be followed...ALL of the rules, not just the ones that are to our personal taste. And yet just watch the warm up ring at Thermal to see all the dressage whips being used (and ignored by the stewards), or comment on a photo of a rider at an A show without a helmet and half the people on facebook jump down your throat that it's okay for them to break the rules. Since when does the exhibitor get to choose which rules to follow? Anyhow, done with the rant, sorry you are in this position!
    She meant she's on here with an alter. You have to file the USESf with your name etc. right to face your accuser and all...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies