The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bullying is wrong- and like previously stated, people get 'louder' to cover their crimes and to draw attention away from the truth. I'm sorry you are struggling with this but I also appreciate you standing up for what is right. A good friend told me that all pioneers have arrows in their backs...chin up- we support you!! Integrity is sorely lacking in today's society and it is very refreshing to hear of situations like yours where people still have it!
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you OP for standing up for the rules. I'm sorry that you have to take such lumps for it.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Before you say that someone is a pro an understanding of the rules is helpful.
    Running a board facility does not make you a pro.
    Exercising horses for pay is something else but how do you know the barn owner was getting paid?
    The rules changed this year. 'AND renumeration' is now in play.
    Well, considering I forwarded all the information, including my boarding contract and all the attached paperwork (that clearly outlined the breakdown of the BM's fees and there were no other "trainers" working at the barn) to USEF, and they responded that to me that according to all the information provided, she should be showing as a professional, then that's good enough for me. Additionally, I have several "newsletter" or "barn update" type of emails from her offering these services.

Oh, and it's "remuneration." If you're going accuse me of being wrong, then please at least get the spelling correct. The reason I know she got paid is because I saw other boarders hand her checks for longing/lunging or riding their horses for her when they weren't able to or they told me that they paid her for those services.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

4 members found this post helpful.

Before you say that someone is a pro an understanding of the rules is helpful.
    Running a board facility does not make you a pro.
    Exercising horses for pay is something else but how do you know the barn owner was getting paid?
    The rules changed this year. 'AND renumeration' is now in play.
    Wouldn't being the BO (or related to the BO) & being paid board while riding a boarder's horse make you a pro? At least that is how I understood that poster's comment.

I do agree that many people don't even have any idea of the ammy rules yet they are always complaining that somebody is cheating. I am on a local unrated show board & we get letters "protesting" people with what I swear are made up rules (we follow USEF). Like if the ammy rider schools themself in the schooling ring then they must be a pro was a recent protest.

OP--hang in there. Hopefully more people will start turning in the rule breakers if they see others doing it.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hang in there, the storm will pass.

But I do undestand...there are some well known denizens of the AA circuit I would not want to cross-kind of scary people. But this sounds like garden variety enjoying being paid for efforts while openly showing as an ammy. Not something going on out behind the barn where only grooms and braiders and others depending on the offender for a livelyhood dwell in the wee small hours of the morning or in a curtained groom stall.

If this is as blatent as it sounds you should be OK.

However, hate to say it but...watch your stuff at shows. Just don't leave it untended. BTDT and didn't even turn anybody in...I just won alot one year on the western circuit as a brand new kid on the block and suffered some kickback-krylon is hard to get off leather.

Its unfortunate we let the dregs drag us down to their level-chin up and carry on. You did the absolute right thing. We all need to step up more as well or it will never stop.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Hang in there, the storm will pass.

But I do undestand...there are some well known denizens of the AA circuit I would not want to cross-kind of scary people. But this sounds like garden variety enjoying being paid for efforts while openly showing as an ammy. Not something going on out behind the barn where only grooms and braiders and others depending on the offender for a livelyhood dwell in the wee small hours of the morning or in a curtained groom stall.

If this is as blatent as it sounds you should be OK.

However, hate to say it but...watch your stuff at shows. Just don't leave it untended. BTDT and didn't even turn anybody in...I just won alot one year on the western circuit as a brand new kid on the block and suffered some kickback-krylon is hard to get off leather.

Its unfortunate we let the dregs drag us down to their level-chin up and carry on. You did the absolute right thing. We all need to step up more as well or it will never stop.

Well said....

And good heads up on watching your things... jealousy and hate can bring out some gawd awful behavior in humans.

When this type of stuff happens I think - even in the movies and days of long ago there were always the GOOD GUYS and the BAD GUYS
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    Wouldn't being the BO (or related to the BO) & being paid board while riding a boarder's horse make you a pro? At least that is how I understood that poster's comment.

I do agree that many people don't even have any idea of the ammy rules yet they are always complaining that somebody is cheating. I am on a local unrated show board & we get letters "protesting" people with what I swear are made up rules (we follow USEF). Like if the ammy rider schools themself in the schooling ring then they must be a pro was a recent protest.

OP--hang in there. Hopefully more people will start turning in the rule breakers if they see others doing it.
    no it does not.
    Being a Barn Owner or Manager is specifically excluded in the rules.

no it does not.
    Being a Barn Owner or Manager is specifically excluded in the rules.
    Just being a barn owner or manager does not make you a pro, however, riding your clients horses while being an owner or manager does.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

6 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, thank you everyone! I am going to print out all these posts and carry a copy in my car so I can read them when I go into an intimidating situation. You guys are a godsend.

I will keep you posted as the case moves along and let you know what happens.

Curious question 14Hands, are the friends you feel bad for putting in the middle upset about being in the middle or standing strong with you up against the people who are making a scene?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Curious question 14Hands, are the friends you feel bad for putting in the middle upset about being in the middle or standing strong with you up against the people who are making a scene?
    The friends are not upset about being put in the middle but are (especially my trainer) personalities who are very uncomfortable in any situation that reeks with conflict. They have told me good for you for filing the protest but is is not something that they would feel comfortable doing.

It sounds like you have their support though. Remember that when the idiots are on attack.

2 members found this post helpful.

Watch your horse at shows too. If people can't get to your things they will go after your horse. I had one friend whose horse had several inches of mane roached off in the middle and another friend whose horse had the tail (hair) banged to almost the dock. Both happened in the middle of the night.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    Wouldn't being the BO (or related to the BO) & being paid board while riding a boarder's horse make you a pro? .
    Yes,

Being a Barn Owner, or Manger, or being related to one, is fine. You can still be an amateur.

But the moment you swing a leg over a boarder's horse you stop being an amateur.

Think what a big loophole it would be if that were not the case.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Barn owners are not pros, but they cannot do the following section GR1306:

4. Professional based on one’s own activities. Unless expressly permitted above, a person is a professional if after his 18th birthday he does any of the following:
    f. Rides, drives or shows any horse that a cohabitant or family member or a cohabitant or family member’s business receives remuneration for boarding, training, riding, driving or showing.

Kind of interesting they expanded it to cohabitant...I think that is relatively new. I think previously it just said family member.

I'd save the FB messages & postings and email copies to USEF. Let them know the impact that sharing your identity with the accused has had on you. Maybe they could amend the protest rules to include specific limitations on contacting the protest filer outside of the hearing process? If the hearing process is supposed to mirror the legal process, shouldn't they attempt to support the same rules against witness tampering & intimidation?

As far as local showing in April, get an understanding of the relationships between the show management, the shamateur and her boss. If there are strong personal connections, I'd pass and save for the next AA. I agree that you shouldn't have to miss a show because someone else did something wrong, but if you spend the whole time worrying about the safety of your horse, someone damaging your tack and don't feel like show management will be supportive- then how much fun will you have? It's too much money to show when you won't enjoy it just to make a point.

6 members found this post helpful.

I recently attended a lovely A show up North in the tristate area - nice courses, nice footing, well run.

The Steward sat in the office the whole time. Never once made an appearance in the schooling ring. We could have been jumping offsets all day long with no hard hats. Nobody did but the question remains - Why do the exhibitors have to police themselves?? And the answer is. . . because the shows hire the stewards. The job of the steward should be to enforce the rules of the USEF not read novels and do crosswords all day long. USEF should be hiring and assigning the stewards and the stewards should be enforcing all the rules, including amateur violations, horse welfare, etc etc.

We shouldnt be forced into ratting each other out for amateur violations, oversize ponies, etc etc. Stewards should be proactive. I pay plenty to the USEF. . .

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Watch your horse at shows too. If people can't get to your things they will go after your horse. I had one friend whose horse had several inches of mane roached off in the middle and another friend whose horse had the tail (hair) banged to almost the dock. Both happened in the middle of the night.
    Ditto this. had a friend who had 2 horses on the grounds - both ended up w/o tails...mane was left alone, though.

Just commenting on the mane/ tail attacks, people can be so petty!

My mare DOES NOT take kindly to strangers in her stall. Would like to be a fly on the wall for one of those types of attacks her hair. Me thinks the person with scissors/ clippers/ whatever would lose

Chiming in to say good for you, and thank you from another ammie rider! The rules are inexistence to be followed, not broken. I can't stand it when some people think the rules don't apply to them.

I'm sure it will blow over soon. What a shame that the honest person is made to feel bad about it.