The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Amateur Status Protest Filed

So there is a gal in our area who showed against me twice in the AA's since November. Both shows were "AA" rated.

I have definite proof that she is acting as an intrusctor as well as doing training rides and taking her group of beginner students to local shows while the head trainer shows South during the winter.

I filed a protest with USEF and they are deciding what action they would like to pursue. The gal has been notified of the filing. She and her boss are being very vocal about it and deluging FB with all kinds of posts. I really thought that people would be supportive but I am getting emails and FB messages denouncing my actions.

I know you all are going to say it does't matter what other people think but I am in a very small horse community and do quite a bit of volunteer work. It is already getting old (and it just happened). My trainer and her students and borders are getting notes and calls about it as well. I was told it was a good idea to not go a schooling show in April because if they did something wrong I would "tell" on them. UGHHH!

I am not sure if I would have filed the protest if I would have realized what a hassle it would be for the people I care about. Has anyone else gone through something like this? Any suggestions?

I edited this to add that I filed this under an ALTER.

22 members found this post helpful.

No one likes to be caught.

You did what you felt was necessary and fair, and you were within your rights to do it.

Hang in there.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

32 members found this post helpful.

You are in your rights and cheaters don't like been caught. I'd just tell everyone on the emails that i was within my rights as an ammie and it's all sour grapes. Rules are rules for a reason.

Hang in there and hold your head up high at least your not a cheater.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

9 members found this post helpful.

I am sorry you are having to go through any horse drama. It's hard because you want people to play fair and you want to enjoy being with the horses.

Saying that, this is why so many people don't stand up to people that do wrong because it makes life miserable.

All I can say is a corny saying I say and I'm sure you have heard it before '"This too shall pass."

I tell my kids when they are going through tough things or try to remind myself - what was the drama going on last year? Or two years ago? Yeah, it goes away at some point.

The best thing you can do because you cannot undo what has been done is, just go about your life, don't talk about it anymore and I know it's hard not to defend yourself against this but even people that know what was done was wrong and don't say anything will understand. They may not say it to you... or you feel like you are on an island all by yourself, it will get better if you give it time.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

7 members found this post helpful.

It is your right to protest if you believe someone has broken the rules. There is a fee involved to keep people from protesting unnecessarily.

The USEF will make their decision, actions may or may not be taken, and in a while it will all blow over.

Go to the show in April if you want to go to the show in April. Tell the haters that they may proceed directly to the left. Screw 'em!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

16 members found this post helpful.

Cheaters will try anything to divert people's attention from their wrong doing.

In this case,they are trying to make it about you.

It's not about you.

THEY were cheating , it is wrong and unfair to amatuers to have professionals competing in amatuer classes. The rules are there for that reason.

Don't worry, and don't explain. If you are confronted directly, you can point out that you find it strange that you are getting the flack, when the person who was breaking the rules , to the detriment of everyone competeing in the amatuer division, should be ashamed.

Go on about your business , surround yourself with positive people and go to shows and enjoy your horse. Try not to dwell on the situation, it will get better and opinions will change with time.

14 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

You are doing the right thing. Doing the right thing really sucks sometimes. I'm going through it now (different horse related situation). Hang in there. (hugs).
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post

<snip> you can point out that you find it strange that you are getting the flack, when the person who was breaking the rules <snip>

Go on about your business , surround yourself with positive people and go to shows and enjoy your horse.

This is the issue in bold above! This is sadly the world we live in now because it has been working to divert the attention. Good people don't stand up and that is why they don't - because it's difficult to live through the bullying.

And underlined above is how you fix it
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

4 members found this post helpful.

It's the age-old story: someone does something wrong, they get called on it, and they immediately go after the "tattle-tale" who got them in trouble. Ignoring, of course, that they're guilty as sin. They didn't want to get in trouble, they shouldn't have broken the rules.

3 members found this post helpful.

I would say that the best thing to do is go on about your business as usual. Don't get sucked into the drama of responding to people making comments good or bad. Let the protest filed go through the process.

Integrity cannot be bought, sold, or traded and it's the only thing you can carry with you into the next world. You did good. Hold your head up high, ignore them and keep on keeping on. Do not let their snarking intimidate you. They're making so much noise because they know they were wrong.

12 members found this post helpful.

It is such a sad thing indeed when the cheaters are getting support and the honest person is the one chastised. Instead of discouraging more cheating, as it seems it should, it will only discourage others from reporting. That just sucks, and I'm sorry for the OP here. And all of us that try to play fair and by the rules!
    Last edited by horsepoor; Mar. 25, 2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Fair not air!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    It is your right to protest if you believe someone has broken the rules. There is a fee involved to keep people from protesting unnecessarily.

The USEF will make their decision, actions may or may not be taken, and in a while it will all blow over.

Go to the show in April if you want to go to the show in April. Tell the haters that they may proceed directly to the left. Screw 'em!
    There you go.

I think you did the right thing. BTW, *you* didn't make cheaters cheat or even decide that they did. You merely asked the USEF to decide that. That was your right, as it is anyone's.

Should you be confronted by a hater, I think you can let them know that if Cheater didn't do anything wrong, the USEF will say so. If she did, then why would another amateur denounce you for defending the protected category?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

You did the right thing. You are right that the horse community is a small place and standing up for what is right can often be an unpopular course of action. I've been there--I once outed someone who was engaging in an unscrupulous business deal with a friend. There was quite a bit of payback mostly in malicious gossip. It was really hurtful at the time. All you can do is continue with business as usual. As others have pointed out you didn't make the person cheat, and if the person you protested did nothing wrong then it's strange that they should be so bent out of shape over the situation.

1 members found this post helpful.

At the university where I teach, the second part of the Honor Code states, "...I will not tolerate the academic dishonesty of others." Integrity cannot flourish if people turn a blind eye to the misconduct of others. It's not enough to just keep your own nose clean.

I feel terrible that you and the people close to you are being made to feel guilty, but you absolutely did the right thing. Maybe Miss Shamateur will think twice next time, and maybe those who competed against her are silently thanking you.

I agree with those who are advising you not to rise to the verbal baiting. They'll get tired of it eventually, especially if you don't respond.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

12 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

General question: Is there not a way to make these protests anonymously, or at least kept quiet??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    General question: Is there not a way to make these protests anonymously, or at least kept quiet??
    You can protest anything anonymously (and that means no $$ needed). The big drawback is you don't get any updates on the findings and cannot ask for explanations if they decide against you.

I anonymously protested a pro showing as an amateur. I sent in all of the evidence, which included video of her warming up client horses at shows and show records of several horses in training with her mother that she showed in amateur classes. USEF looked up the entry forms and her mother did indeed sign as trainer. It was pretty open and shut. USEF took the info, said thank you, and went their merry way. They found her guilty, and she is now a pro, as she should have been.

Don't feel bad about what you did. I'm sure there were people whispering behind my back about it, because it was fairly common knowledge that it was me who did it, but I didn't care. They were cheating and I was tired of it.

9 members found this post helpful.

One thing I like to do in situations like this is ask myself... "Will this matter (will I care about it) in five minutes?" in five hours? in five days? in five weeks? in five months? in five years?

Chances are, you can identify a point in the future when this will not matter so much.

Right now, you're getting flak and it probably feels like a HUGE thing. But in the grand scheme of things... nobody died, and in five weeks the furor will have died down. In five months, the person will be showing as a pro where she belongs, and most people won't even remember what happened.

Chin up, go to the show if you want to, and don't lower yourself to their level with the whispering and sniping. Practice some responses to divert and disengage in case anyone feels the need to bother you about it, but don't get into discussions or arguments about it.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

2 members found this post helpful.

I reported someone in dressage, but did it anonymously. Through the grapevine I am getting status updates...nothing official. I don't feel the least bit guilty. The person I reported is well aware of the rules of the sport, and is the first to cry foul! The evidence was fairly damning, but if nothing comes of it I at least feel I did my part and that person probably had the crap scared our of them!

There is a local trainer who trained out of the barn I board at who intended to go to Thermal a couple of years ago and compete as an amateur. She said that she did not have that much trainer experience and did not see the harm. I thought she was delusional.

Good for you, ribbons received while cheating are not worth that much anyway...

Edit: As an amateur who does not spend all day riding, I would have been devastated to find a professional riding in a class of mine after spending so much time and money to get me and my horse to an A show. When I compete as an amateur I am assuming everyone else is not a professional.
    Last edited by stolen virtue; Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.