The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy View Post
    I would get his teeth done too and I betit won't take him long to pick up. Good on you for giving him another chance
    OMG, you should see his teeth!?! That's one reason I thought he was so old. Yes, he's a cribber and they were worn down because of it, but I can't believe he's only 11! He'll have to be fed a wet slurry by the time he really is a senior. Whew, he has a lot of years to go for a horse with no teeth.... The tooth man will be here later this Spring. I can hardly wait for him to take a look in THIS mouth.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

If the wear on his front teeth is from cribbing, he may not have any unusual wear on the molars. He may have some trouble biting off grass, but chewing is the important part. I think you got lucky! Now you get to find him a job!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ohh boy you are right. Those are some teeth. What are you calling him? He does look like a Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by betsyk View Post
    If the wear on his front teeth is from cribbing, he may not have any unusual wear on the molars. He may have some trouble biting off grass, but chewing is the important part. I think you got lucky! Now you get to find him a job!
    I didn't think of that, betsyk. Yes, when he's eating his hay he looks and sounds as if he's chewing normally. I wouldn't be surprised if he needs some real attention back there from the tooth fairy, but your observation makes me feel a whole heckuva lot better!
    When assuming he was really old, I figured he'd just be a pasture ornament. But now, I think I did get lucky. He does have a long, easy, rangy trot on him...

wow, poor guy! he looks so sweet, i bet he thinks hes in heaven!

i looked him up but he has never raced

Ohh boy you are right. Those are some teeth. What are you calling him? He does look like a Sammy

Thanks FraggleRock! I was trying to find out if he'd raced but I couldn't find anything. Maybe that's why (lol). I also couldn't find anything on his dam but she may have been born before the cut-off year.

Are we going to see you on the driving forum!?

I'm so happy for you and your now younger new horse!

What a sweet face that guy has. I can't believe he's only 11!!! Please post some updated pics in a few months when he's filled out and has seen the dentist. I'm sure he'll feel and look like a brand new guy! Congratulations on the new addition.

Where on his neck did you clip to find the freeze brand?

Sounds like a wonderful horse to learn how to drive with. Driving is great fun and something you can do with other people.

</enabler>

2 members found this post helpful.

TBPONY, the freezebrand is on the right side of the neck under where the mane would fall, a little higher up the neck. I saw a FEW faint white hairs but I doubted that there'd be anything I could read. Boy was I wrong!

wonderful news. If they could all be as lucky as he is... have fun with him!

Here's a "Buddy" update. 6 months after coming from the auction, Buddy has been "adopted" by a very kind re-rider who lives less than 10 miles from me. She already has a Halfie and was interested in bringing home another safe beginner type horse. She came out to meet him and really liked him. A few days later we went out on a trail ride together along with her Halfie and a green, green, green appy colt. Buddy was wonderful and even acted as kind of a lead-pony to the appy a couple of times. The worst thing he did was go very s-l-o-w when he was in front so that I had to kick and squeeze regularly to keep him going on. Personally, I like a forward walking horse but the potential adopter laughed and said that she likes "slow". Anyway, she is a keep-em for life kind of owner and has agreed that he can come back to me if he ever needs to. Anyone who saw how starved he was will appreciate how he looks now. Here are a few pictures:

5 members found this post helpful.

nice!! He does look nice and chunky now... So glad he a new great home, close to you, and that you will be able to keep track of him... lucky horse!!

Thank you!!

Oh my! What a difference for your boy. Six months has been a complete turnaround.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Wow he looks fantastic!! So glad he found his person
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Oh my gosh! I could cry! What an amazing job you've done!

Do you drive him?

*Wonderful!*
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden