The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Endure Roll On vs Farnam Roll On

In the past I've used Farnam Roll On but the last few yrs it hasn't 'rolled' well at all. I generally use it in the horses ears to protect against gnats/black flies/no seeums or whatever you wish to call those nasty, blood sucking, biting insects.
    Has anyone:

1. used Endure Roll On, and
    2. does it really roll on?

I also tried the Ultrashield EasyWipe and hated it. It didn't wipe at all.

Reason I'm asking is I'm ready to place an order and am ready to try Endure but if it's worse than Farnam, I can live with Farnam if I have to.

Also, anyone have a horse that had a reaction to the Endure? I've got one rather sensitive guy and I don't want him to have any problems. I know he's OK with the Farnam product.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Yes, I've used the Endure roll-on. Yes, it does roll-on. Kind of. I found that I often needed to squeeze the bottle a little bit (with the bottle turned upside down and the roller against the horse's face) to get it going/keep it going.

I've had one who had a reaction to the Endure, but he has also had reactions to other products (and to all manner of insects). He seems to have exceptionally sensitive skin.

Thanks, NoSuchPerson. Sounds like the Endure roll on isn't any better than the Farnam except for price. I have to do the same with the Farnam roll on.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

MSJ - I haven't tried the roll on products, but I've had pretty decent success using the RepelX lotion on ears and other sensitive areas.

bdj- Is RepelX lotion a fairly thick lotion, like a hand cream maybe?

I'm thinking about rubbing it on the sheath area possibly as the gnats love to bite there as well as ears, belly and chest areas.
    Sue

It's not super thick (like Eucerin), but it's not drippy-thin, either. I actually used to use it for my old guy instead of fly spray on his sheath, belly and lower legs, as it seemed to last for a couple of days, without being sticky and dirt attracting like Warpaint.

bdj, that sounds like a good enough recommendation for me to give it a try. Thanks.
    Sue