The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Halfchaps that LAST, do they even exist?

I ride nearly everyday, and have a nice pair of ariat concords, but i've found that though they are less then a year old, i've already worn most of the suede off of the inside. It's time they need to be retired i think :/

So are there any tried and true half chaps that last?

I had a pair of dublin halfchaps that, while they only lasted me 4 months, that was with 6-8 rides a day. Some of the stitching wore out but they were still useable.

I'm now using Dublin Easy-care half chaps. I've had them for 4-5 months now and they are still in fantastic shape. Less abuse than my last pair (only 2-4 horses a day at best) and besides being dirty, I haven't seen any real signs of wear.

Conclusion? Dublin half chaps don't die.

1 members found this post helpful.

How long are they supposed to last?

Caveat: I wear half chaps into their grave. Usually I don't replace them until I have killed them good.

I'm liking my Tredsteps (suede, don't know the model) (about 18 months old, daily use, a couple of horses usually), and I liked suede Ariats I had before these (2 or 3 years, daily use, lots of horses and stall mucking and walking...wore them into the grave), though, as companies are wont to do, they changed them and they are no longer as nice and streamline as I liked.

I tend to go for suede (usually they are cheaper and I'm usually on a budget), and every pair I've had from various brands have lasted me at least a couple of years...which I think, when riding a lot of horses, is a pretty good deal.

Cool

I have been pretty happy with my Treadstep 1/2 chaps. Yes, the suede did turn to smooth leather but that is what suede at the contact points.Overall, they wear great and I have used them daily for 2 years.Yes, I am a DQ, but we really do have leg contact....

I don't think so. The half chaps I am riding in right now are the suede-velcro ones I bought in 1997 from State Line Tack for $40. Seriously. They are 16 years old and I am terrified that they will fall apart because I have no idea how to replace them. Everything else I have tried is either not thick enough on the inside of the calf (I have wussy skin) or falls apart in a year or less. And it is just RIDICULOUS to pay more for half chaps than I did for tall boots!

So I cling fearfully to my filthy, sometimes moldy, used-to-be-black, yet perfectly intact half chaps that are old enough to drive. *moans in terror*

4 members found this post helpful.

I also like Dublins because they are the only ones that fit my legs! I'm on my third pair in about 6 years. I usually ride 1-2 horses daily. They are only about $40 at the local shop so I figure $20/year is pretty good.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Default Tredsteps

The leather half-chaps wear well. And look pretty spiffy, if I may say so. However, they take some "breaking in" -- unless you have very thin calves. You just have to persist with the zipper until it gives in. And I am still having problems snapping the closure at my ankle. A leather expert said to wet the bottoms, and then ride in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    Conclusion? Dublin half chaps don't die.
    They don't. I have a pair of the easy-care that are a size too big (bought in an emergency) and I keep saying I'll get a new pair when they die, and they WON'T DIE!!

I have a pair of full leather grand prix's and they have held up really well. Had them 4 years and the stitching on one is just starting to come loose (easy repair, though). I treat them like crap too and wear them cobstantly. Plus the leather is soft like butter. They are expensive though (paid just over $200 CAD for them).

Quote Originally Posted by VAevent View Post
    The leather half-chaps wear well. And look pretty spiffy, if I may say so. However, they take some "breaking in" -- unless you have very thin calves. You just have to persist with the zipper until it gives in. And I am still having problems snapping the closure at my ankle. A leather expert said to wet the bottoms, and then ride in them.
    This. I have had mine for almost four years and ride five days a week, normally one or two horses. Other than a snap breaking they are wonderful!

As far as Ariat goes, I think that the more expensive you go the longer they last (generally speaking, of course). My Ariat Monaco half chaps are 2 or 3 years into being worn daily and polish up brand new looking. They are hands down the best half chaps I've ever owned. I bought them as a back-up for when my Monaco tall boots would inevitably die at the worst possible moment, and it was a big surprise when I ended up loving them so much that they're all I ever wear (except when it's really yucky out and then I stick to my Volants). I even wear them in place of tall boots at clinics and shows (*gasp* the horror! ). I was not such a fan of the Ariat Close Contact half chaps I had, though they did hold up pretty well considering the abuse I put them through.

I've also been through several pairs of the Grand Prix half chaps...the half suede/half grain leather ones (can't remember what they were called). But the calf patches seemed to eventually start coming off of those and they didn't hold up quite as well as others I've had.

But if you want to know what the best bang for my buck has been? The best value I EVER got out of a pair of half chaps came from a pair of cheap half chaps I got on Tack of the Day one year (Lende brand). They were nice leather, cost a whopping $40 and lasted a solid 2 years with 3-5 horses ridden a day. It was a sad day when those died! Eventually the zipper started separating, and I loved them so much that I still have them hanging in my tack room just in case I ever get the urge to swing by the leather repair guy to get new zippers put in (which would probably cost more than I paid for them!)

I love my tredstep deluxe half chaps!

I have two pairs of Barnstable smooth leather 1/2 chaps. They're the cheap ones with Velcro instead of zippers. They've got to be decades old by now. I've had them patched and restitched in places, but the still hold up. Best of all, not only no zipper to break, but I can wear them over breaches or jeans with long johns under them with no difference in fit since the velcro is adjustable. I love them.

I have a pair of Ariats (not sure of the model) that have lasted a few years now. I still wear chaps long after the suede wears off and they get smooth, though. For me it's less about gripping and more about not pinching the crap out of my calves!

I have had my cheapy Dublin ones for 4 years? I ride 1 horse, nearly every day. They look pretty ratty right now, but they are fully functional, no missing stitches, zippers and snaps still work, etc. I was going to get a new pair of something else, and then I couldn't justify NOT getting another pair of Dublins because they DON'T DIE.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

I have a pair of Ariat suede ones (they were cheap and I'm not sure if they make them anymore) that I've had for 15 yrs. They just now died... Sort of... They are duct taped right now lol. I love them and dread trying to find replacements. They survived 2 summers of being a working student, intercollegiate riding and then riding 1-2 horses/day for the past 10 yrs. And I'm really bad about doing chores in my boots and 1/2 chaps so they have been abused
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
    Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
    www.twistoffateeventing.com

depends on how you use your leg. I use alot of leg (terrible habit of mine to nag the behind the leg horse) and go through half chaps fast, but not 1 pair per year. I also usually ride 1 horse 6 days a week. My current pair are 4 years old (but both my horses have been on extended stall rest in that time period so I bet I've had 1 year out of the saddle) and are the Tredstep smooth leather ones... did take forever to break in and I couldn't get them over the thicker pair of winter breeches for the first year.

Another vote for the TOTD Lende's. I had mine restitched a few times and they lasted 5 years. Then I replaced 'em with the same model from TOTD. Comfortable, sturdy, look decent.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I have a pair of Ovation leather half-chaps that have lasted for two years so far, average 3-5 rides a day, and still going strong. They are easy to clean, easy to break in and have held up great- no tears or broken stitching. I didn't buy them (they were actually a hand-me-down) so I'm not sure what they cost, but they are the best-fitting half chaps I've found. They are also professional looking enough for me to wear at work without being super high-maintenance.

I've had good luck with my Treadstep suede half chaps. They're nice and soft, with lots of fit options. I don't show in mine, so suede is my preference. About the only knock I have on them is that I had to replace the snaps almost as soon as I bought them (original snaps were so tight that one side pulled out of the leather), but they've otherwise served me well and are holding up after several years.