The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default anyone been to the Del Mar National (Hunter/Jumper Week)?

Whether you were competing or just spectating, I want to hear all about it! Things to do, the facility, etc.=]

What did you like or not like?

This year will be my first time showing there, obviously VERY excited

So if you have advice about the area or the show, post here please!! Thanks

It's always a fun show! Depending on how long you are in the area there is lots to do besides showing- The San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, Seaworld, and downtown San Diego are all a short drive away and are must sees if you're not from the area. Be sure to get tickets for the Grand Prix, it's always exciting to watch. I'll be there to watch this year at western week and H/J week, Del Mar is now a special show for me, last year I went on my first date with my now husband while down there for western week
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

1 members found this post helpful.

I went last year to spectate with my husband and another couple. We went primarily to watch the USET selection trials (they called it an exhibition I think) and had so much fun. We watched Rich Fellers pilot Flexible to an incredible win! And saw many other top riders and horses.

We stayed at the Del Mar Hilton, walking distance to the show which was great for us girls as we wanted to walk over to watch the hunter classes (the husbands stayed behind at the pool) earlier in the day. Del Mar is a super cute town, lots of nice places for dinner over looking the ocean. Having wheels is good. The venue is neat; a huge enclosed jumping arena with jumbo-trons. A bonus is that the Kentucky Derby will be going on during the H/J show so if you're interested in placing a bet, just walk into their adjoining satelite wagering building right next to the big arena. There are some interesting folks in there... LOL

The vendors were ok, but I've seen better, footing looked amazing, stables were nice, but the one thing majorly lacking from the grounds was food. They had one stand where we got cold nachos. Yuck. At least the bar was set up for the Grand Prix so we got to sip champagne and get some great photos by the liverpool jump. Have fun!

Oh and the SD Zoo is amazing, if you can go for a day don't miss it!

1 members found this post helpful.

In April, it's likely to be gorgeous weather. The permanent stalls are in the race faciility - nicely built and with all the wash stalls and bathrooms (yay!) you'd want. Food on grounds may be lacking, but there're restaurants and grocery stores just down the road.

Del Mar is a lovely (if a little touristy) town catering to the high end. Torrey Pines beach is great. The San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world - plan for that on your free day if you're at all a zoo person. If you've got kids, we've got Legoland... SeaWorld is nice, too.

Feel free to PM me if there's anything you really want to do.