The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rules/Beta tested vests

The gossip going around here is that recognized HT are requiring beta tested vests this year (ie not tipperary vests). But I looked at the USEF rules for eventing and just saw that they were recommended. Can anyone comment on this?

PKN

Nope, beta-tested not required.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

The rules do not require "approved" safety vests.
    Safety vests are required.
    "Approved" is recommneded.

I have not heard any murmerings about any proposed changes.

It is POSSIBLE that an individual facility can require approved vests for non-USEF/USEA competitions (just as some failities required approved helmets before the rules did). But not for competitions run under USEF/USEA rules (unless there is an over-riding state or local law)
    Last edited by Janet; Mar. 25, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Even if they ever decide to require approved vests, it will be the ASTM standard and not the BETA standard they use given that we are not in the UK.

I think that if unrecognized shows required approved vests they would be shooting themselves in the foot. It's hard enough to save up the cash to show and I think people would avoid a show to also avoid buying an approved vest specifically for that special show.

Ok, thank you, Janet.

Follow up, are helmets being required in dressage for everyone or only under 18 at FEI levels? USDF?

That talk about certified vests being required pops up at the beginning of every year. I think they'd get a lot of kickback if they decided to require them, as lots of people love their Tipps, myself included.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantknoll View Post
    Ok, thank you, Janet.

Follow up, are helmets being required in dressage for everyone or only under 18 at FEI levels? USDF?
    Dressage rules
    5. At any time while mounted on the competition grounds, all riders under age
    18, all riders while on horses competing in national level tests, all riders competing
    in Para-Equestrian tests, and all riders while on non-competing horses, must
    wear protective headgear as defined by this rule and otherwise in compliance with
    GR801. When a horse is competing in both national and FEI levels or tests (e.g.
    Fourth Level and PSG), the rider must wear protective headgear at all times when
    mounted on that horse on the competition grounds and during all tests.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).