The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

doublesstable, I am SO glad to see your progress with olive oil. I have been trying hydrophane with no luck. Going to try the olive oil now...
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Just in general I haven't had much luck with Hydrophane. Bummer too since I have a big container of it.

I just received my bridle. Yes, it has a "made in India" tag but I think Vespucci is made/assembled there. Not sure where the hides are from. I remember when Vespucci first came on the market quite a few years ago and the bridles were marked as such. OK, I am a bit of a bridle snob, but this is a nice bridle for the sale price. I do prefer my ADTs and Hadfields, but they are certainly at a different price point. Biggest criticism is that the cavason is not "slotted" but I knew this before ordering.

As an aside, why do some manufacturers simply sew in the cavason crown strap to the noseband instead of making it "slotted?" This is my pet peeve. It is not as strong and I don't think it looks as nice. Does it really save this much on labor costs? Jimmy's bridles are like this too.
    Last edited by paint hunter; Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM.

I got mine. They are so pretty I just want to keep looking at it and touching it! Ok, I've never had this fancy of a bridle! My Bobby's wasn't anything compared to this!

Grrr! I tried to use the code the evening of March 31 and got told it wasn't valid. Maybe I should try again today lol!

I got both of my bridles yesterday. I must say that I panicked after buying them and then reading the reviews. I expected the bridle to be total crap, I usually don't buy leather online unless I am familiar with the brand. There are plenty of crappy feeling 'nice' bridles in our local tack shop that I wouldn't buy on sale. That being said, I am VERY happy with my bridles! Would I be as happy if I payed full price? Probably not. But I think that would be due to the details in the make of the bridle. Some of the keepers are too tight (pretty easy fix), I would prefer my buckles to have rollers, and what someone else mentioned about the cavesson being attached.
    But all in all I have two very nice bridles for under $240!!! Come on, that's a great deal!!!

a question, for the member who bought oak bark and then oiled for a darker color, why not just buy the brown color? Mine is brown and looks just like your finished product. Just curious,

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    I got both of my bridles yesterday. I must say that I panicked after buying them and then reading the reviews. I expected the bridle to be total crap, I usually don't buy leather online unless I am familiar with the brand. There are plenty of crappy feeling 'nice' bridles in our local tack shop that I wouldn't buy on sale. That being said, I am VERY happy with my bridles! Would I be as happy if I payed full price? Probably not. But I think that would be due to the details in the make of the bridle. Some of the keepers are too tight (pretty easy fix), I would prefer my buckles to have rollers, and what someone else mentioned about the cavesson being attached.
    But all in all I have two very nice bridles for under $240!!! Come on, that's a great deal!!!

a question, for the member who bought oak bark and then oiled for a darker color, why not just buy the brown color? Mine is brown and looks just like your finished product. Just curious,

The question would be for me then... I love to oil my bridles and I know they darken over time so I figured I would start with a lighter bridle so I could oil it up to my hearts desire.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

2 members found this post helpful.

For anyone who missed the 65% off sale, or who thinks they need MORE beautiful, well priced bridles after receiving their order (ie - me!), the outlet now has everything listed at ~50% off.

Looks like everything in the outlet is now on sale - Mattes, Amerigo boots, etc.

Very exciting stuff.

4 members found this post helpful.

I received my Vespucci square raised bridle and Amerigo girth yesterday. Girth is made in Italy, bridle in India as others have mentioned.

I'm happy with both for what I paid. Agree with others that I would expect a better quality of leather on the bridle if paying full price. The girth appears to be very nice, but not something I would have bought for $400. I was worried the Horse size bridle would be way too big and I should have gotten Cob, but I think it will work just fine.

I am also oiling with olive oil and it is darkening the leather on both the bridle and girth nicely. To answer an earlier question, I would have preferred to order the "brown" color, but it was not available for the items I wanted.

I ordered the Amerigo open front boots in brown and I received them the other day and they are nice. They look a bit small and I ordered the larges.

I wiped them down with a light oil rag and they already look black. Oh well.. My saddle is very dark so I guess it will look okay in the show ring.

I don't have any thin horses in my barn or light colored tack...
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post

I got one of each color, the oakbark went to a very nice rich brown for me with hyrophane, the brown color went to a VERY dark chocolate. I was afraid the oakbark wouldn't darken enough but it's perfect.

I find the differences between them quite interesting though, the brown color one after oiling and just a little bit of lederbalsam is absolutely buttery soft and beautiful. The oakbark one however, seems to have mixed quality leather, the crown is soft but the throatlatch is coarse and stiff. Same thing on the reins, they're a bit scratchy on the unfinished side. For the sale price, no biggie, but definitely not worth the full price.

Ok, so I know the awesome deal is over, but they still have quite a few on there for $190. To the ones who already received theirs, is it worth $190? I've been eyeing the bridles up since I bought a show halter for my mare 3 years ago. The leather is exceptional and need a new bridle
    Thanks!
    ~Heather

I just called WEB directly and ordered a 2nd bridle. I asked if they would give me the same price as they did for the bridle I bought during the super sale (65% off) and they did!

FWIW - these are really nice bridles for the super sale discount price. My horse fits somewhere in between a cob and full size and since Vespucci's run big, the cob fits perfectly. I have been using bridle #1 for about 10 days, and it's softened up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by heathermac246 View Post
    Ok, so I know the awesome deal is over, but they still have quite a few on there for $190. To the ones who already received theirs, is it worth $190? I've been eyeing the bridles up since I bought a show halter for my mare 3 years ago. The leather is exceptional and need a new bridle
    Thanks!
    ~Heather
    I feel like the brown one was yes, the oak bark one, meh.

I have the oakbark color, and I agree with the "meh" for $190. I would get a SmartPak Harwich instead and save some money.

One note on sizing - I ordered Horse size, which ended up fitting my Norwegian Fjord extremely well, which was a bit of a surprise. I suspect for most horses the browband may be too big and the throatlatch probably will be way too big.