The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Listerine! I just discovered it.......

The Friesian mare has been plagued by seasonal skin funk her entire life.

I keep her pasterns shaved, but regardless of the cleanliness, winter/spring brings the itchies, flakies, scabbies, crusties and general nastiness that shows up behind her pasterns (hind more than the front) and on the insides of her back legs and behind her forearms.

I've tried everything. Scratches remedies, Blue-kote, anti-fungal/anti-bacterial/anti-itch/desitin messiness........

......then someone suggested a 50/50 mix of the original Listerine and water, sprayed on the affected areas daily.

OMG. The stuff works. It's amazing! Scabs are gone, itchies are gone, flakies are diminishing and she's so much happier! It's so easy to apply, dries quickly, smells awesome and I've heard it also repels flies so can't wait to see if that's true too.

I did some Googling on it and it was developed as a pre-surgical scrub before it was used as mouthwash. People have found uses for it that I never would have imagined!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've used listerine mixed 50/50 with baby oil for conditioning my horses tails. It helps when they have itchy tails and are rubbing them. Learned it from an old timer. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was told about original Listerine in 2004 or 2005 by a guy at the feed store. I keep a big bottle of it at the barn. It's good for all kinds of skin issues, including rain rot. (You can put it on rain rot or put it on your horse to prevent rain rot.) And it repels ants if you put it on legs and hooves. It kill a lot of germs and bacteria and viruses.

ETA You do not have to rinse it off. it will not blister, even in full sun. It keeps ticks and flies off of horses also. I first used to dilute it or rinse it off, then I experimented and found it was fine, full strength and left on anywhere on horses. (except around eyes and anus and sheath, of course.) I only use the original though, not any of the other flavors.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Mar. 26, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

I've been fighting a little spot on fungus (I think) on my gelding for years and so far nothing has helped it. It's a little itchy, hasn't spread and doesn't seem to bother him. I've tried everything to clear it up to no avail. Picking up some Listerine to try tonight... thanks!

I have used Listerine for a few years when tail gets rubbed - diluting it with baby oil sounds like an even better idea.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Yep I'll second listerine with baby oil it is awesome!!

You can also use it as a brace when diluted. I always thought it was the same thing as Bigeloil. Be sure to get the old version: no purple coloring or fluoride

Baby oil and listerine are the pony club remedy for dandruff!

3 members found this post helpful.

Our horses always get the summer drools, a cap full of listerine used as mouthwash works wonders.

Listerine is a wonder product for any horse barn.

Along with everything listed above it's also awesome for:

*Cleaning and disinfecting water buckets/waterers
    *Cleaning/disinfecting bits
    *Fill a spray bottle with it and spritz around the barn's windows and doors and do the aisle floor and/or stall walls. It repels flies, smells better than fly spray and is a hella lot cheaper.
    *great as a brace
    *good way to shorten time it takes to rinse shampoo out of the mane/tail since it cuts the suds too.
    *I even used it on a picky eater that would always ignore a new batch of hay at first, waiting forever to start eating it. I'd use my spray bottle of Listerine and spritz the hay lightly. Hay that tasted like mints!

Because I go through gallons of it, I often buy the generic type to save even more if the regular isn't on sale or I don't have a coupon. My current 2 horses prefer the blue while my last 2 preferred the green, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    Our horses always get the summer drools, a cap full of listerine used as mouthwash works wonders.
    What are summer drools? How do you get that capful in their mouth and will they gargle on command?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    How do you get that capful in their mouth and will they gargle on command?

The summer drools = affected clover that cause the problem.

BTW, if anyone has been affected by chiggers (and God they are awful things), Listerine helps stop the incessent itching- not for long, but better than much of anything else. Ask me how I know..

Listerine has been my favorite barn juice since '80, '81. Great safe brace and helps keep bandage scurf and itch at bay. Your horse seems to have all the oily spots causing issues. (inside legs above joints, etc. ) Whe you get the scurf under control, I would let the hair grow back. It is designed to wick away moisture from the lower legs. As long as you keep it clean. show folks like the tidy look, but it adds to the moisture and irritation that starts the whole vicious circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    What are summer drools? How do you get that capful in their mouth and will they gargle on command?
    Some people call it the slobbers, some spit weed but it's actually black patch fungus that grows on clover. I just open their mouths and give them a splash.

my horse ate something that caused alot of mouth irritation. took him to the equine dentist and he recommended a rinse of listerine and sore throat medicine. mix it one third listerine, sore throat, water and used a syringe to squirt it into his mouth. he loved it! cleared up the irritation right away!

My friend has a Fresian cross mare who also suffers from "skin funk". She keeps her legs shaved and uses a 50/50 mix of Listerine and baby oil on her legs. It has worked wonders to keep her legs clear.

For applying it to the legs for fungus, do you just spray it on and leave it dry or do you let it sit and then rinse it off?

I've always just sprayed it on and left it.

It almost sounds like your horse has the flaky, scabby gunk caused by chorioptic mange that feathered horses tend to get around their lower legs (and occasionally in their manes and tails). Your fix smells a lot better than the sulfur dip we use to treat it at work though!

I mix it with Apple cider vinegar and a touch of Bedadine and I spray it on hooves to help prevent/treat white line disease and thrush - works great!