The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Homemade toys for naughty filly?

My filly keeps finding ways to entertain herself... mainly trying to play limbo with the fencing. Fencing has been fixed and baby-proofed, but I think she's bored and needs something to divert her attention.

I put a Jollyball out into her paddock for her. She lives out 24/7, only in for severe weather. She lives with my mare and my mum's gelding. Those two are complete food hounds, so looking for toys that do NOT involve food, as they won't share with baby very well and she's not real food motivated.

Suggestions for homemade toys for the baby in need of some distraction would be great! I'd love to get her a construction cone to throw out into her paddock, not sure where to get one though. Any and all other ideas are much appreciated!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I worked at a farm that had a very naughty colt, and whenever I would drink all the milk from the jug I would just chuck it in the pasture and remove the old one. Just make sure the lid is off. I takes me a week to drink milk (sometimes longer than that) but by the time I removed the old jug is was a flattened piece of plastic. Also some of the big dog toys work ok to. Just make sure any tags and such are not on the toy. I had a filly that loved this toy:

ozbo.com/Tug-O-Rope-Flying-Rope-Duck-18-DBLDTR13GR.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_sour ce=googlebase&cvsfa=3688&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=524f592d44 424c44545231334752&gclid=CNmsz82HmLYCFQoFnQodeFUA2 Q#.UVBcqFfJPIU

my dog would not touch it so naturally I decided to see if she would. she did just remember they are curious so what ever you can find that is safe and cannot be swallowed that would satisfy her curiosity is the best thing And road cones, well lets just say my friend "rescued" some road kill cones one time a while back

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPony View Post
    I worked at a farm that had a very naughty colt, and whenever I would drink all the milk from the jug I would just chuck it in the pasture and remove the old one. Just make sure the lid is off. I takes me a week to drink milk (sometimes longer than that) but by the time I removed the old jug is was a flattened piece of plastic. Also some of the big dog toys work ok to. Just make sure any tags and such are not on the toy. I had a filly that loved this toy:

ozbo.com/Tug-O-Rope-Flying-Rope-Duck-18-DBLDTR13GR.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_sour ce=googlebase&cvsfa=3688&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=524f592d44 424c44545231334752&gclid=CNmsz82HmLYCFQoFnQodeFUA2 Q#.UVBcqFfJPIU

my dog would not touch it so naturally I decided to see if she would. she did just remember they are curious so what ever you can find that is safe and cannot be swallowed that would satisfy her curiosity is the best thing And road cones, well lets just say my friend "rescued" some road kill cones one time a while back
    Dog toys, never thought of that!

I was thinking of calling the local county's highway dept, to see if they have any old cones or whatever they wouldn't mind parting with.

I also had a busy, bored, sometimes devious filly and put many odd items in her paddock otherwise she would find destructive ways to amuse herself.

Walmart has lots of cheapo beach/pool balls- some 2 ft. across and she loves these cause the wind can blow them around and she chases them. Walmart also has the foam pool noodles, she loves these- carries them around to spook her paddock mate- them stomps and pulls them apart. I do remove all pieces after she destroys them- just so she doesn't try to chew or eat them.

Also a large vinyl tarp is great. Scrunch it up and she drags it around. Empty milk and soda bottles with lids removed. Large muck buckets w/ rope handles removed or cut open so feet don't get caught in them. She plays w/ and flip them over and over.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla 100 View Post
    I also had a busy, bored, sometimes devious filly and put many odd items in her paddock otherwise she would find destructive ways to amuse herself.

Walmart has lots of cheapo beach/pool balls- some 2 ft. across and she loves these cause the wind can blow them around and she chases them. Walmart also has the foam pool noodles, she loves these- carries them around to spook her paddock mate- them stomps and pulls them apart. I do remove all pieces after she destroys them- just so she doesn't try to chew or eat them.

Also a large vinyl tarp is great. Scrunch it up and she drags it around. Empty milk and soda bottles with lids removed. Large muck buckets w/ rope handles removed or cut open so feet don't get caught in them. She plays w/ and flip them over and over.
    I'll have to give those a try! I'll have to find a big enough ball that can't roll under the fencing, and maybe think of a way to secure a pool noodle to something. We get high winds here a lot and I can see a pool noodle becoming airborne and heading off to a corn field 9 miles away, LOL!

A clean plastic barrel, closed on both ends, was a huge fun toy with one gelding. This was a full sized barrel, not small or flexible. Daughter used the barrel for barrel racing, but when the young gelding to turned into the arena he would go knock over the barrel and push it around. He was a VERY good barrel pusher, rolled it all over the place, even working to go UPHILL. He did encounter some difficulty if the wind was blowing hard, kept shoving the barrel back into his legs.

Interestingly, the heifer and steers also enjoyed playing with the plastic barrels, rubbing first, then chasing barrel to keep rubbing it more! You could find the cattle barrels anyplace in their paddock or field when you went out.

I get my traffic cones from places in the Yellow Pages under "Safety Barricades", which sell actual road-worthy cones. I would be kind of picky about used cones, no telling what they have spilled on them or where they were, hot patching roads or stuff. New ones should probably sit in the sun a few days, get exposed to light, heat, air, for getting off that "new plastic" feel and smell.

I would be VERY careful about letting the equines play with plastic tubs or buckets they can get feet into and break thru the bottom. Every animal plays differently, and one could hurt themselves, while another never will. Perhaps the softer, black rubber Fortex tubs would be a better choice, they are not hard at all, to break thru with a hoof in them. Just throw away when the threads get too visible so she can't chew on the threads. Should take a couple years for that! A LOT of horses have shown me that their black rubber tubs are a FUN toy, both to carry around and THROW around, jump on and drag with their feet. I LOVE a multi-purpose toy!

I have some big, thick rope, both in cotton and poly, that would make good play toys for a horse. Maybe you could locate some and make a couple knots in a 4ft length for the horse to play with it. Poly is probably 1", while the cotton is 1 1/2". I would tape or put a zip tie on the cotton rope ends, so it doesn't fray much. An inch of tassel is OK, but 6" tassel end could be a problem because of swallowing long threads that come loose in play.

Filly sounds like she will be VERY interesting to handle and train as she matures. The bright ones need smart handling to keep them nice. Her antics will sure keep you entertained!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    A clean plastic barrel, closed on both ends, was a huge fun toy with one gelding. This was a full sized barrel, not small or flexible. Daughter used the barrel for barrel racing, but when the young gelding to turned into the arena he would go knock over the barrel and push it around. He was a VERY good barrel pusher, rolled it all over the place, even working to go UPHILL. He did encounter some difficulty if the wind was blowing hard, kept shoving the barrel back into his legs.

Interestingly, the heifer and steers also enjoyed playing with the plastic barrels, rubbing first, then chasing barrel to keep rubbing it more! You could find the cattle barrels anyplace in their paddock or field when you went out.

I get my traffic cones from places in the Yellow Pages under "Safety Barricades", which sell actual road-worthy cones. I would be kind of picky about used cones, no telling what they have spilled on them or where they were, hot patching roads or stuff. New ones should probably sit in the sun a few days, get exposed to light, heat, air, for getting off that "new plastic" feel and smell.

I would be VERY careful about letting the equines play with plastic tubs or buckets they can get feet into and break thru the bottom. Every animal plays differently, and one could hurt themselves, while another never will. Perhaps the softer, black rubber Fortex tubs would be a better choice, they are not hard at all, to break thru with a hoof in them. Just throw away when the threads get too visible so she can't chew on the threads. Should take a couple years for that! A LOT of horses have shown me that their black rubber tubs are a FUN toy, both to carry around and THROW around, jump on and drag with their feet. I LOVE a multi-purpose toy!

I have some big, thick rope, both in cotton and poly, that would make good play toys for a horse. Maybe you could locate some and make a couple knots in a 4ft length for the horse to play with it. Poly is probably 1", while the cotton is 1 1/2". I would tape or put a zip tie on the cotton rope ends, so it doesn't fray much. An inch of tassel is OK, but 6" tassel end could be a problem because of swallowing long threads that come loose in play.

Filly sounds like she will be VERY interesting to handle and train as she matures. The bright ones need smart handling to keep them nice. Her antics will sure keep you entertained!
    Great ideas! I also didn't think about stuff on the construction cones, like tar, etc. Good point.

My filly is sweet as pie, but has the attention span of a gnat. I taught her how to walk over a little bridge in the indoor arena.. got the point, then decided there were more fun ways to use the bridge. Pawing at it, JUMPING onto it, and sticking your nose under it and trying to knock it over. LOL!

I'd be careful using old cones, but you can get new ones inexpensively at many Tractor Supply Co or local hardware stores. One of my youngsters is absolutely married to his caution cone He also enjoys kicking footballs and Jollyballs around.

I second the suggestion of the tarp. My now-3 yr old gelding loved his tarp. At some point he got turned out with a different set of horses and the tarp kept spooking one mare, so tarpy had to go. He also has a jolly ball that he periodically tries to crush-- to no avail. Along the lines of the milk jug idea, I put a handful of small rocks in a thoroughly washed out laundry detergent bottle and hung it from the run-in shed and he still occasionally plays with it. Banging the crap out of his feed bucket makes more noise, though, so it gets more attention.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Two toys that I think would be fun are the Porta Grazer and the Amazing Graze. Or what about this?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Real Rush View Post
    I second the suggestion of the tarp. My now-3 yr old gelding loved his tarp. At some point he got turned out with a different set of horses and the tarp kept spooking one mare, so tarpy had to go. He also has a jolly ball that he periodically tries to crush-- to no avail. Along the lines of the milk jug idea, I put a handful of small rocks in a thoroughly washed out laundry detergent bottle and hung it from the run-in shed and he still occasionally plays with it. Banging the crap out of his feed bucket makes more noise, though, so it gets more attention.
    My gelding has learned to aim his jolly ball when he throws it, so that's fun.
    His very favorite thing is to take the brushes out of the grooming bucket one-by-one and then throw the bucket around. He loves taking things and "throwing" things out of buckets. The "tarpy" thing is a very good idea! I'm going to try that.

The Amazing Grace toy-thingie looks like a good idea.

Not sure what age your filly is but if you have your own barn I would think it would not be too hard to find someone with another young filly that needs a companion and a safe place to play.

You can get construction cones at Home Depot, BTW.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    You can get construction cones at Home Depot, BTW.
    Like the full size ones that are about 2 or 3 feet tall?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnland View Post
    Not sure what age your filly is but if you have your own barn I would think it would not be too hard to find someone with another young filly that needs a companion and a safe place to play.
    She's almost 2, but unfortunately there's no room for another filly. Between her and the two adult horses, the paddock/pasture they are in is at capacity.

A long time ago one of the barn owners I knew had a colt that liked to play too. She found him a tire from a small airplane which he LOVED! Carried it flung it bopped the other horses with it. Never was able to pull pieces off. He also liked to play in the water trough which was a repurposed caxt iron bath tub.

My Guy loves traffic cones!!! he has killed 3 huge ones. He grabs them at the top swings them and throws them over the fence. He has trained this human the game of fetch well...lol .Hmmm if I thow the cone thingy the human with the treats will run and get it for me.............lol

Gotta say, this is the kinkiest thread title I've ever seen on here . Made my morning.

2 members found this post helpful.

I second the milk jug, but I suggest filling it with a few rocks. My youngster's head exploded with joy when I put that in his stall.