The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bareback -What the Heck!

I rode Fella in my bareback pad yesterday and as usual it was awesome. I love riding my bareback pad -he's soft, and forward, I can feel him, I know what he's thinking (I can feel him swell up to spook, or become tense almost in real time for example). I LOOOOOVE riding bareback with this pad (it's a BF Western bareback pad).

I have a Treeless EZ fit endurance style saddle that fits him great, and fits me well too. But I have to say, I like nothing much between me and my horse. I don't have a dressage saddle yet, and had dismissed the Ansur for being too squishy. But now I'm wondering if it is squishy that I like? Because if it will feel like my bareback pad, but be an acceptable saddle for competitions where I am required to use a saddle, is that where I should be going?

And if so: does anyone in my vicinity (PA/MD/VA) have an Ansur I can try?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have an Ansur. It's the older model without any 'panels' on the underside. Which means no clearance for spine or withers. It sits on the horse's back like a bareback pad. You could get an older one in this model for much, much cheaper than the newer models.

I tried the newer model and didn't like it. But I guess you should try both if you can. A good place to try saddles is at one of the ginormous horse expos. We can probably arrange for you to try out mine.

Thanks, Isabeau. I was thinking about it more, and am wondering whether I should just get one of those $200 Freemax saddles -looks like a saddle, rides like a pad. I have a treeless pad already -my EZ fit's pad, so that's not an issue. I can always pad up.

It looks like a saddle so it's competition legal
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/2009080...Types&var=sbar

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I have an Ansur. It's the older model without any 'panels' on the underside. Which means no clearance for spine or withers. It sits on the horse's back like a bareback pad. You could get an older one in this model for much, much cheaper than the newer models.

I tried the newer model and didn't like it. But I guess you should try both if you can. A good place to try saddles is at one of the ginormous horse expos. We can probably arrange for you to try out mine.

What size is yours, Isabeau?

Paula

My Ansur is the "medium." They play funky games with the sizes. At the time, "medium" was the biggest. Anyhow, it's a big saddle. Over 20" if you measure in the usual way. I am 6'1", and it's the only dressage saddle I own that I actually fit into.

For $200 I'd say the Freemax is worth a try. Only do some more asking around to make sure it isn't a TOTAL piece of junk. Maybe start a thread in Off Course and find if anyone has tried it.

I just spoke to a really nice treeless saddle dealer who shares our crazy -she rides mostly bareback herself for the same reasons we do. Anyway she said the Freemax would be wrong for Fella because he'll be too wide for it. So that's out. Another online buddy has a medium Ansur and she's close by so I'll try it. It's older like yours, Isabeau. I'm glad to hear it's big.

Paula

The Freemax looks like a copycat of the Freeform (which I had and LOVED - so comfy on the butt for long hours trail riding), and looking at the price, I would think the quality would be crap. IMHO finding a quality used saddle is better than going the cheap-o route for something new. Finding a used Ansur or something similar will be a better use of your money than buying something cheap that you'll have to replace because it won't hold up.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

1 members found this post helpful.

Just wanted to chime in to say I have an older model Ansur dressage saddle and I love it. It's the only saddle that doesn't give me horrible lower back pain during or after rides! My horse moves great in it, although currently I'm doing a little creative padding since I'm getting back in the swing of things after 2 years out of the saddle. During that extended time off my older mare decided to develop a sway back and lose all her muscle - how dare she!

I am also chiming in to share - I had one of the original ansurs, and liked it, but my mare is so broad that I needed something with more of a twist feel. I bought an ansur excel and couldn't be happier! It's a "small", meaning about an 18" which I need because of longish legs. I am 5'8", about 145 lbs.

I was originally drawn to ansurs because I too loved riding bareback (plus I was having real issues trying to fit my draft x mare).

I am also in PA, and can recommend an ansur distributor (or depending on where you are, can let you try mine). Just pm me.
    "Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

You guys are brilliant. I have one person already shipping me an old Ansur to try. I am very excited because I had ruled out showing 1st in dressage this year for the saddle issue. This gives me hope.

Pocket Pony, the Freemax is out. I spoke to a former distributor and she said my horse would be too wide for it more than likely.

Gallopinggram, I came to bareback the same way -frustration with saddle fit. It turns out that my long butt doesn't fit Fella's short back. Basically if it's a 17 or less we're good to go, but I ride at least a 17.5 and usually an 18 and everything bridges. As I was saying to someone in another thread, the options seemed to be; custom (changing back and no budget), bridging pads (which to me is like stuffing your shoe to fit your too-small feet), and treeless. Treeless was a surprise but has been quite good to us.

I am very happy to have such feedback on this topic.

Thanks,
    Paula