The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes, DO NOT buy a pleco. No matter what the fish store people claim, the things are intended to grow into monster size catfish that will defeat your ability to keep them. Also cories breed like rabbits, and you may start with two but you'll end up with hundreds of them.

Are there any fish meant to live in an unheated large bowl or small tank? I'd love to have something in my office but I can't monitor heat or light over weekends.
    why does it need to be unheated and unlighted? all modern fish tank heaters have thermostats that automatically correct the temperature, and it's easy enough to put a timer on the lights. You can buy auto-feeders too.
    I'd suggest a bigger tank- small tanks are unstable and are a nightmare to maintain. The bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. 20 gallons and under is probably the most difficult fish-keeping task ever. Bettas are one of the few fish that can live in tiny tanks, and even then their lifespan tends to be shorter in small containers vs. larger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    I love my Beta "Frank" ! they have such great personalities for fish! But sadly my Frank is getting old I think...5 yrs old. he was a beautiful bright blue but now has lost color and dont do much anymore. But he is a great pet.
    Kind of off topic, but I had a carnival goldfish live for about four years. My brother won him in a game for me when I was sick at home, they usually die within a week or so, but he was a survivor.

I've been wanting a betta for a while, will probably have a small tank in my college dorm, can't wait!
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Welp guys... now I want a fish. The bf and I have talked about getting a tank when we move in 3 weeks, but just in an off hand way. But now, I think I'll begin scouring petsmart and craigslist for tank deals.

I've always wanted a salt water tank, but those suckers are expensive!

Yeah, I decided 'no marine tank' unless I go back and get a chemistry degree or marry someone rich enough I can hire an aquarium service. There is far too much that can go wrong with the water chemistry and kill a bunch of very expensive animals and plants.

Not just plecos but ALL fish grow to the size they grow to, not 'to fit the tank.' It's possible that a too-small tank can STUNT them but that's not healthy.

Goldfish will tolerate more temperature variations and prefer colder temperatures than freshwater trops, but you do have to remember they need more gallons per inch of fish and a strong filtration system. Goldfish are actually the WORST fish to keep in goldfish bowls. There basically are no fish 'meant' to live in bowls. I've kept multiple male bettas in 2g or smaller (up to seven at once so a big tank was not happening) but you have to change the water at LEAST every other day if not every day. Otherwise it's like living in a cesspool. And they really do need either a CONSTANT warm environment (70-75+) or a tank heater.

Have to share this....I ordered a eco-bioblock through Petco. Paid through Paypal which is where the site directed me to go and set up shipping to my home. 40$ aprox cost. uPS delivers it to my old address that is apparently still linked to an older Petco's "pet pal" account. They, Petco, defaulted to this address when labeling instead of the address on the order. Petco told me to drive over to old address and knock on the door and ask for my package. Petco refuses to refund or re ship another package.
    They thought that telling me I should go over there and get it myself and then they send me a 10$ e gift card! Absurd! I am filing a claim with Paypal over this. That is horrible customer service.
    Last edited by dodedo; Apr. 3, 2013 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dodedo View Post
    Have to share this....I ordered a eco-bioblock through Petco. Paid through Paypal which is where the site directed me to go and set up shipping to my home. 40$ aprox cost. uPS delivers it to my old address that is apparently still linked to an older Petco's "pet pal" account. They, Petco, defaulted to this address when labeling instead of the address on the order. Petco told me to drive over to old address and knock on the door and ask for my package. Petco refuses to refund or re ship another package.
    They thought that telling me I should go over there and get it myself and then they send me a 10$ e gift card! Absurd! I am filing a claim with Paypal over this. That is horrible customer service.
    So I have filed a dispute through Paypal. Paypal paid Petco and the shipping was set upmand confirmed by Paypal to y correct address but Petco labeled the package wrong and sent to wrong address. Petco had the nerve to respond to me saying they were sorry for any inconvenience but I just should go over to the place it was delivered to and knock on a strangers door and ask for my package. Paypal will more than likely refund me my money and I just hope they get their money back from Petco. I am amazed at the lack of customer service at Petco and will never shop there in person or online again. I am appalled! Whew....all this craziness over 40$. You would think they would just make it right! Ok so now that I have vented....kudos to Paypal and crap on Petco!

After a major room reno I would like to get a Betta again. had them in the past but not much luck and just had one of those small tanks.

So it seems like a 5 gallon tank is a good size and big enough to have a filter and if need be a heater? With that kind of setup how often would you do water changes and whats the best way to do water changes and re-introducing the betta to his tank after changing the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    After a major room reno I would like to get a Betta again. had them in the past but not much luck and just had one of those small tanks.

So it seems like a 5 gallon tank is a good size and big enough to have a filter and if need be a heater? With that kind of setup how often would you do water changes and whats the best way to do water changes and re-introducing the betta to his tank after changing the water.
    If you get a 5 gal then get one with a setup that has a hood and a filter. You can get an immerse-able heater that will warm the water up 5 degrees more than room air. As far as water change, get a gravel vacuum and siphon 25-50% of the water out each week while you sift through the gravel. Leave fish in the tank while you do this. Replace with tap water that is the same temp or close as the tank water and make sure you condition the water you replace so it doesn't have chemicals in it. You can build a decent bio filter in just 5 gal tank if you are careful to not destroy the bacteria. Join a betta fish board and you can learn all kinds of great info.

1 members found this post helpful.

I took frank to the fish store to ask why he changed colors cause I thought maybe he was sick......The lady said..."he is stupid old!" lol But he eats really well and still active altho not much any more.

Young Frank
    http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps082fc415.jpg

Old Frank

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/photo-10.jpg
    Last edited by spook1; Apr. 4, 2013 at 08:14 PM.

Hey spook1, what kind environment do you have for old Frank? If your tank isn't heated he might perk back up a little if you heated his tank and maybe added some silk plants. Gotta keep the old geezer going!

I've had my betta for about 9 months. He was a Walmart betta, I really didn't expect him to last more than a few days, but I'm glad he has! He has a heated 7 gal aquarium w/ live plants. Lives by himself except for a few snails.

1 members found this post helpful.

What are you feeding Frank? Color change is often illness or diet, not age. How much/often does he eat, get water changes, and what temperature is the water? He might perk up if it was warmer.

Hi
    Frank lives in a 2 gal. tank alone. Its not heated but I live in Fl. and I keep the house warm anyway. (I freeze at anything below 75...lol) I clean his tank every 2 weeks ( beta water conditioner added) and he gets Beta flakes (the cheap stuff.....) but only because he would not eat the good pricey food (he is a fish with no taste for the finer things... ) This has been his life style and has thrived for this long.

I took him to a fish store and asked about the color change because I thought it was a illness or something. They said no that he looked great for his age and since he was eating good not to worry since he was on borrowed time. The girl said...'wow he is stupid old".....lol