The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The deep end of the Betta tank

Over a year or so ago someone started a thread about Betta Fish and how much fun they are to have.
    I just had to go get one. Do not ask me what possessed me except that as a kid I always had a fish tank, never with much luck keeping them alive however.
    Never did that fish have to live in a flower vase after I saved him from the horrible confines of the pet shop!
    Anyway, fast forward to now.....I now have Mr Fishee in a 20 gal long filtered aquarium with roomies. He is really big (for a Betta I think!) lovely and so "friendly". His roomies started out as 2 tiny speckled Cory cats for a few weeks to make sure Mr Fishee would play nice. Then I added Neon Tetras and a Pleco.
    We have all really enjoyed them.
    The tank has a stable bio filter and pretty much takes care of itself now with 25% h20 changes and a light gravel vacuum every 2 wks or so.
    Did I mention that this big tank is in my kitchen, on the counter and is pretty much the focal point of the kitchen?
    My Parents live with me and my Mom has taken over the task of feeding them and they are cooed to like they are babies!
    Had to share as it has been really enjoyable. And all caused from just reading COTH.....

1 members found this post helpful.

That was me. I still have mine and he's still a character. He surveys the world from atop our bar.
    You are what you dare.

We should have a betta tank picture thread. I want to get one also but not for about another 6mo. I also want a bunny. This is all because of COTH
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I adore Bettas, and have enjoyed a long succession of them for over 10 years. Best luck I've had is with an unfiltered 2.5 gal. aquarium with a clear "divider;" 2 boys can see each other and make that gill-flarey face, but can't fight. The tank has a light over it which keeps the water optimally warm for them. I change the water and scrub the tank down when the algae appears.

They come for food when I call them . . . so cute!

I love my Beta "Frank" ! they have such great personalities for fish! But sadly my Frank is getting old I think...5 yrs old. he was a beautiful bright blue but now has lost color and dont do much anymore. But he is a great pet.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps082fc415.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

That's really neat!

At some point I want to try keeping a sorority of girl bettas. Just need to figure out how to persuade hubby that we really really need a 30 gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    I love my Beta "Frank" ! they have such great personalities for fish! But sadly my Frank is getting old I think...5 yrs old. he was a beautiful bright blue but now has lost color and dont do much anymore. But he is a great pet.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps082fc415.jpg
    Holy Cow! 5 is OLD for a Betta! you are doing something right!

I had Freddy Fish in with guppies. worked wonderfully for a couple of years.

Sadly, he passed away while I was out of town and after that the fish just did not stay alive for me anymore, so I gave up on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I loved my Bettas! I had wonderful luck with my blue boys, but I got a pinkish one...and he just did not thrive. My cats have put me out of the Betta business--just could not keep them out of the bowl. I simply used a large glass fish bowl (very large!) and changed the water out/scrubbed every few weeks..fish were happy. I just don't need another mouth to feed or clean up after, so you all need to post pictures of your adorable Bettas!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Here's mine. His name is Chips - as in fish 'n chips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	37865  
    You are what you dare.

^ That looks like my Mr Fishee except Fishee is a deeper, almost purple blue.
    How do you add pictures? That would be fun to share them! Bettas are such great fish to keep!

You have to be a premium member to post attachments, but you can still post a link to an online photo album or Facebook (as long as the pics are set to public).
    You are what you dare.

Here's Star and his froggy friends:

http://s127.photobucket.com/user/kmc...ml?sort=3&o=48
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

jeez louise!

now I want a fish.....

I used to raise angelfish.

now you have awakened the monster.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Lol, yep, me too! Went from just wanting to have some fun with 1 male Betta to feeling like he deserved better. Now I have a 20 gal long tank stocked with Mr Fishee, 4 small Cory cats, 1 Pleco, and 10 neon tetras. Tried blue berry shrimp.....gone quickly, cherry shrimp, poof, gone. Mr Fishee has a taste for shrimp. Won't try them again. He doesn't bother anything but the shrimp. My bio filter has adjusted to the addition of the neons and now I will add a few harlequin rasboras when my LFS gets some nice ones in. I suppose its a good thing I sold my big tank when I moved! Forgot how cool it is to keep fish.

I am a betta lover too! My grandma bought me one when I was little and since then I've always tried to have one around. I've moved all over the country and my bettas always went with, they travel great! When I was younger, I usually went by train. I took 2 different bettas on cross country train rides (in juice bottle containers, hey, it worked!). Don't think it would work sneaking them on a plane like that though.

My last one, Mine That Fish (a play on Mine That Bird, since I name most of my pets after famous racehorses) died last year and after going to Petco a couple weeks ago and seeing the gorgeous colors they had (and how sad those poor fish look, breaks my heart) I've been itching to get another one. Hmmm, might be making a stop at the pet store on the way home today ;-)
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I like Betas and have kept them with neons...all except one that decided to eat all the neons. I think his gluttony killed him, though...he died almost immediately after eating them all. Never had another beta try to eat neons...

I was gifted an unwanted simple little veil tale. He lived for eight months until one day his fins were limp or kinda clamped and he wasn't moving much. A few days later he was dead.

I searched and searched for months to find a 2.5g glass tank. Where?! And the heaters for such a small size get terrible reviews.

Are there any fish meant to live in an unheated large bowl or small tank? I'd love to have something in my office but I can't monitor heat or light over weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    I was gifted an unwanted simple little veil tale. He lived for eight months until one day his fins were limp or kinda clamped and he wasn't moving much. A few days later he was dead.

I searched and searched for months to find a 2.5g glass tank. Where?! And the heaters for such a small size get terrible reviews.

Are there any fish meant to live in an unheated large bowl or small tank? I'd love to have something in my office but I can't monitor heat or light over weekends.
    Shrimp can handle room temperatures as long as the water is pristine. Some of the carefully bred ones are quite colorful.

Off topic- but I love this thread's tittle. It would make a great murder mystery book title.

Beware the growth rate and long life of the Pleco. They do not, in fact, grow to fit the tank, they just grow. And they can outlive lots of tank mates. I think mine is at least eight now. And big enough he does not share the 20gH tank with anyone. Not as big as the one Fancy Vet (the expensive/will do exotics vet here who had a big trop tank in the waiting room for a long time) had who was about nine inches long. But I kind of like their sorta-primitive, bottom feeder kind of look. I keep resisting the urge to get another betta. At least not until I sort out the getting-chickens thing....