The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

It happened here not long ago. Not a trainer, but a good loodaking couple with a nice truck and trailer promising a retirement to an older schoolie. That was sunday. On Tuesday, she was at the auction... a friend of mine saw and took her. Then she posted on different sites for any info on the mare. The farm who had had her responded right away, gave the story, the description and license plates of truck and trailer, the names they had... the woman even had the audacity to contact my friend with a sad story (could not be believed as only two days had passed)... Anyway, they did the same thing at another auction two weeks later, were recognized, etc. Since a contract had been signed at one point and there were several aliases... police has been involved for fraud. I don't know if anything else will come of it, but it sure woke them up. They are now known by sellers and auctioneers. Their picture was plastered all over FB too.
    If it teaches a lesson, so be it!

3 members found this post helpful.

even if the horse is "free" - get a bill of sale for a dollar. I think the objection to the trainer's conduct was his misrepresentation (implied) of a "forever home" in the "to be used as his personal trail horse." He has a right to sell any horse he wants, however, IF he lies he will get scorned, publicly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Re: The NorCal trainer who someone said did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post

Reeeaaaallllly. Another "noted".
    And also, he stood a DWB stallion (Starman?) back in the early 1990s who supposedly broke both hocks, hence no show career. Not that that relates to anything, but it struck me as odd.

Then looking at this case and the old thread about this trainer, it makes me wonder if anyone knows what they are looking at over time.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Starman had a rather illustrious career as a jumper, IIRC.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Starman had a rather illustrious career as a jumper, IIRC.
    I know. Same horse? Different one? I just remember thinking "What horse breaks both his hocks? (And should still be part of the gene pool?)"

Weird.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It definately wasn't Starman. I can think of lots of ways a horse could break both hocks. Most of them would have no baring on suitability as a breding stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    It definately wasn't Starman. I can think of lots of ways a horse could break both hocks. Most of them would have no baring on suitability as a breding stallion.

Sorry for the OT swing.

How does that happen to a fancy show/breeding stock type investment animal? Maybe a huge accident? But both hocks? Or is "broke his hocks" a 1990s euphemism for bilateral OCD?

Back to the topic. I can't imagine someone hoping to stay in the horse business who 1) needed a trail horse; and 2) created some plan to flip a horse for a couple hundred bucks at an auction.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Was it Telstar?

Was it Telstar?
    Yeah! That's it. A bay jumper stallion, belonged to RL, right?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

What a shame that odd broken-hocked stallion did not hang with a better crowd. Look at the motherline on that sucker. And by Nimmerdor.

I van't speak for all of them, but the Telstar babies I've known were not particularly good minded.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Might have been in a Trailer Accident.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I van't speak for all of them, but the Telstar babies I've known were not particularly good minded.
    I didn't go farther into "interviewing" Telstar based on the hock thing... mainly because to me it said "bad mind." Another stallion on my list then was said to have bowed both front flexor tendons in a pasture accident. "What horse does that?" I wondered.

I can see fubaring one leg in accident, but it seems to me that a wiggy horse contributes to trashing both rather than quitting while he is ahead.

I was an ignorant college student breeding one for me to ride. I don't mean to impugn nice stallions, but I was paranoid about the mind.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Brandon is a very honest and compassionate horseman. What the original poster FAILED TO MENTION is that A) after the horse flipped itself over 4 times he called her to say the horse was not going to workout and he would like to bring it back. She actually misrepresented what the horse was! She REFUSED to take the horse back and gave Brandon the number of someone else who was interested. He left several messages. B) Only after all this did he send the horse and he was assured the horse would go to a home.
    Brandon did nothing wrong legally or ethically. This woman is clearly a bit off and is the one who should be in trouble for posting all these lies about a reputable trainer. Surprised forums allows this kind of undocumented garbage

Why did you not add the fact that he called you and said the horse was not going to work out and you refused to take back an unrideable horse?? So you misrepresented the horse and then refused to take it back and now you are trying to tarnish the reputation of a very compassionate horseman?? You are the shady one not Brandon Clinton

The horse was not as the original owner claimed and Mr Clinton DID try and give the horse back and tried to call people the owner asked him to. She is NOT being honest about the whole deal. She may not be happy about the horse going to auction but she needs to be honest instead of trying to ruin someone's reputation

Oh I apologize for the several posts. I thought I was repying to individuals.....I'm not a crazy lunatic as one might assume from my multiple posts!!!! Sorry

Why was this horse posted for sale on Facebook for 1500.00 with his picture and description on "for sale pages" prior to showing up at Camelot if he was for trainer's "personal" use? If trainer knew he flipped why would one try to sell him?
    Said ads were removed right after the poop about him hit Facebook and here.....many people saw his "for sale" ad.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry, Smarty, but the explanation doesn't seem all that likely (IMHO):

- We are talking about the whole thing taking 11 days. That's a very short period of time for BC to assess the horse, repeatedly try and fix the problem, contact the "seller", try and contact the other person, and then arrange for the horse to me taken to the auction.

- If what you say is true, the "seller" would not take back the horse but arranged for the horse to be bought at the auction. Did BC ask for money in order to give the horse back?

- If BC is a reputable trainer that cannot make the horse work, in all good conscience, why would he send the horse to the auction - assured that it is going to a home? Isn't that just passing on a problem to some unexpected person. Again, unethical.

- If what you say about the auction is true, did BC really expect the auction to make sure the horse goes to a home. This is a horse that flips over on itself and has unsolvable problems! It's just plain stupidity to think that the auction is not going to sell this kind of horse to whoever will buy it.

Also, because you seemed to have created your profile just to address this thread, I wonder who you are and what stake you have in this - this makes what you say highly suspect.

Update: FWIW, if there was even a small chance I would let BC work on my horse, your post has completely eliminated that chance.
    Last edited by sammicat; Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Update
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Brandon is a very honest and compassionate horseman. What the original poster FAILED TO MENTION is that A) after the horse flipped itself over 4 times he called her to say the horse was not going to workout and he would like to bring it back. She actually misrepresented what the horse was! She REFUSED to take the horse back and gave Brandon the number of someone else who was interested. He left several messages. B) Only after all this did he send the horse and he was assured the horse would go to a home.
    Brandon did nothing wrong legally or ethically. This woman is clearly a bit off and is the one who should be in trouble for posting all these lies about a reputable trainer. Surprised forums allows this kind of undocumented garbage
    This is BS.
    Anybody who sends a horse to auction and is "assured the horse would go to a home" is clearly lying or stupid.

Any trainer who knowingly tries to sell a horse "to a home" when he also knows that the horse is dangerous because of its tendency to flip over is completely unethical.

Any professional who tells a horse owner that he wants the free horse as his own personal trail horse and then posts the horse on his sale page, is not to be trusted.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

8 members found this post helpful.