The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sadly, when a situation looks too good to be true, it often is.

People who have to rehome their horse because of hardship situations are in a most vulnerable place; to deceive them to put a few hundred dollars in your pocket is despicable.

If Camelot was selling the horse for $450, he probably got only $200 or less. That's not a lot of money for which to sell your soul.

If the horse hadn't worked out and the situation was legit, he would have called the original owners. Obviously, he had the scam in mind from the beginning.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Most people with moral deficiencies spread their failings across the board.
    A memorable quotation (and true). We MUST get together for those drinks at Lake Anna, 2bays. I have heard of something called "Spring," perhaps when it comes...

5 members found this post helpful.

Legal? Almost certainly. To prove actual, actionable fraud they'd need a lot more than the sale ad saying "to good home" (which is meaningless adspeak).

Ethical? If he took the horse with the sole intent of selling it AND said straight out to the sellers/givers that he intended to keep the horse, not really. But with nothing in writing, it's legal and just a seller-beware story. (And even if it WERE in writing, all they'd get would be financial remuneration for whatever the value of the horse was as defined in the sales contract, if they got a decent lawyer and a sympathetic judge. As-is it's a he-said, they-said situation and a court would likely find for him.)

Reason not to do business with him? Certainly a reason to think twice about hiring him or selling him a horse. He doesn't have to have broken any laws for people to use it as a consideration over whether to hire him or not....I suspect this will not be good publicity.

3 members found this post helpful.

[edit] As someone posted he is a wannabe, very rough with horses. Why has he been kicked out of so many barns?
    He likes to tranq also. I wouldn't let him much my horses stalls never mind ride them.
    GREAT PR JOB BRANDON FOR WHERE EVER YOUR TRAINING......
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 26, 2013 at 07:16 PM.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Well, is it crappy that he took the horse to auction? Yes. Illegal? Nope. Does it make him a person to not have train your horse? IMO that wouldn't effect me sending him a horse or not if he is a good trainer.
    Just because something is not illegal doesn't make it right. Even if he was the best trainer in the world I would not give him my business or a dime of my money due to lack of integrity, honor and empathy for the animals he is "working" with. To me that's just rewarding him for bad decisions and giving him the ammo to make more of them in the future.

16 members found this post helpful.

Personally, I would not do business with a trainer who did this. Of course I'd want to make sure it was true before making a decision.

However, judging by the fact that Paul Valliere is still in business, not everyone feels that poor moral choices disqualify a trainer.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I know of a big name California trainer who used to do this all the time, comete with bringong his kids out to try the horse... I believe he just had an equipment trailer go missing...
    Karma?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

4 members found this post helpful.

Have dealt with him IRL. He can be very charming, but he's definitely shady in a lot of ways. His riding is nothing to write home about either. [edit] There was a pretty detailed thread about him on here a while back that revealed a lot about him.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 27, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

Legal , yes. Morally and ethically wrong. He lied to get a horse.

What's the saying?..."Integrity is how you act when no one is looking"

I would steer clear of him. Someone with no integrity will not act in your or your horse's best interests.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by harnessphoto View Post
    Have dealt with him IRL. He can be very charming, but he's definitely shady in a lot of ways. His riding is nothing to write home about either. [edit] There was a pretty detailed thread about him on here a while back that revealed a lot about him.
    Do you have a link to the thread? The only thread I found about him talked about what a good trainer he is.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 26, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Oh man. I know him and used to ride with him in IL about 10 years ago (in another lifetime).

I'm not surprised, per se....but I'm disappointed. I have always spoken highly of Brandon and recommended him to others, because I feel like when I was riding with him, that was the best I've ever ridden.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Do you have a link to the thread? The only thread I found about him talked about what a good trainer he is.
    If you look at my user name I posted plenty of positive stuff on a long thread on him. Due to ongoing "Legal Issues" all I am permitted to say is "I retract all I said on that thread"
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

1 members found this post helpful.

The only explanation I can see for this series of events is that the trainer thought he could get a free horse and put a little polish on an resell for a profit. For whatever reason, that didn't happen, so the trainer cut his losses and took the easy money at Camelot. Probably because the soundness issues were more obvious than he originally thought/hoped.

Lucky horse to get seen, pulled, and rehomed appropriately.

Pretty shameful if the horse was given on the understanding that it was "to a good home" to be the trainer's personal trail horse. Still, I have to scratch my head at who thinks a trainer needs his own person trail horse, especially one with some soundness issues. Warning bell. But the original owners were under dire straits and I guess not as clued in as one might hope.

I don't care whether it's illegal or not. Taking a horse "free to a good home" and selling it not even 2 weeks later into the auction stream without so much of a call to the donors to see if they can take the horse back is sh*tty and there are plenty of not sh*tty people to give money to instead.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    If you look at my user name I posted plenty of positive stuff on a long thread on him. Due to ongoing "Legal Issues" all I am permitted to say is "I retract all I said on that thread"
    Wow -- that says a lot right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Wow -- that says a lot right there.
    Sure does. Noted. Thanks, Pnutz.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Sammicat? I think you need to look for another trainer to teach those lead changes, don't need a rocket scientist for that either. But don't think you need this guy- check out the Google trail and Parrotnutz retracting anypositive statements on an earlier thread.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I know of a big name California trainer who used to do this all the time, comete with bringong his kids out to try the horse... I believe he just had an equipment trailer go missing...

Reeeaaaallllly. Another "noted".
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Sammicat? I think you need to look for another trainer to teach those lead changes, don't need a rocket scientist for that either. But don't think you need this guy- check out the Google trail and Parrotnutz retracting anypositive statements on an earlier thread.
    After doing some research, I agree! I'm actually glad this thread came up when it did.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Karma?
    or payback
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

1 members found this post helpful.