The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who leased their horse out during college?

What was your experience?

I leased my dressage gelding out for awhile during college. It wasn't horrible it was to a younger teen and although he came back a little duller to the cues then I prefer it was easily fixed. It was a nice option for me as I really liked this particular horse and didn't want to part ways with him while I was in school.

I leased one of my horses out during college. My situation was a little different because he was also for sale at the time as well. On a personal note, it was hard for me to always see him at shows and see "mistakes" being made or training things I didn't "like," but in the end I didn't have much control (nothing dangerous, just me being a brat). However, in the end the lessee ended up purchasing him and he was well taken care of and loved, so it was worth it in the end. I had another horse too at the time that was semi-retired that we wanted to keep, so leasing and selling the one was a must at the time. Just make sure (as with every lease) you are informed about the barn the horse is going and make a good lease contract, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I did, for the Eq finals. I was fine with it as it was another rider in our barn with similar riding style and the same trainer. After the finals someone else in the barn picked up a half lease, which eventually led to a dressage rider from Germany doing a part lease on him as well, all at our farm. I didn't have any issues at all with the first two riders, and I probably wouldn't have minded the dressage rider if I wasn't home on Spring Break to see her ride him. I did not like the way she rode at all! Not only that, but I didn't like having to ride lesson horses while I was home because it was "her" day to ride
    I don't remember exactly how I got out of it, but I basically squashed her lease. My trainer acted as the agent in all the leases, so I didn't have direct control over the contracts. My only suggestion today would be to make sure you are comfortable with the rider's skill, style, etc. and that they have a competent trainer that you trust & respect. My dressage lady didn't take lessons on my horse, she just came and rode on her own, and I felt she was going to ruin him with her style. The other two were in training programs at our barn and they worked well with my guy.

On the other end of this deal, I lease a horse from a girl at college and it was the best thing that ever happened. We were very thankful to have her, and I still talk to the owner and update her when the horse wins.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I think whether it works depends on a lot of things, your horse's temperament being the biggest.

I free leased my QH to my very first riding instructor my freshman year of college. She had a riding school with a lot of beginner riders, and he was a mellow guy who would pack them around without caring what they did. He had one of those temperaments where he was still super sensitive and forward and fun with me, but he performed to the level of the rider in a good way - he acted like an old school horse with the out of balance kid who couldn't ask anything right, rather than taking advantage of it, but preferred when I rode him and was good for me.

I was going to take him to college my sophomore year where he would have been a blast for IHSA shows especially since he didn't know it was possible to refuse a jump and couldn't figure out how to buck with a rider and had no spook. Unfortunately he was developing arthritis in his hocks and at the time injections weren't so common, so I sold him to someone local who wanted a horse who would be safe for the kids. He basically retired there, but every few weeks someone would hop on him and he was happy to pack them around.

I have trouble imagining a scenario where I would lease out my TB. He's sensitive and easy to get going wrong (see: requiring a trainer to fix some issues he developed when I was riding while injured and crooked), and I wouldn't want someone I didn't trust enough on him while I was gone. Right now I can think of two trainers I wouldn't mind having on him daily, but none of their students - and neither of those trainers would want to lease him!

I suspect once she's going my filly will have the type of personality where she would be fine. My mom's horse is the strong and stoic type - as long as it was someone who wouldn't let her boss them around because she will get pushy on the ground if allowed, she would be fine with practically anyone.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I had my mare leased out when I first left for college; details withheld - but it did not go well, nor did it end well, and I wound up moving my horse ASAP to be with me - never to be separated again!

I am currently half leasing my horse while out of state for school. It's a good situation because one of the trainers is leasing him for her daughters so he gets professional supervision. The only thing I'm not happy about is that he's getting jumped too much, so the contract might have to be revised. The two girls are very good riders, and I actually noticed an improvement in his lateral work when I came home. They are also nice about letting me ride him when I'm home since they have access to a lot of horses. They take lots of pictures and it's nice to see him well taken care of and loved. Both girls have been successful in the show ring with him too. I'm very happy with this situation and actually prefer him to stay at home longer than I thought.

Thanks for the input!