The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2013 Grand National - Aintree - video promo

Having switched to 'Channel 4' in the UK they've done up an elaborate 90-second promo ad for the forthcoming race:

youtube: promo advert The John Smith's Grand National, 6th April

45 hours of footage was shot over two days using 44 cameras and a cast and crew of almost 300 people, including race and stunt horses and jockeys to achieve the ambitious final film.

The trail sees Liverpool city take the place of Aintree’s race course and features ten horses racing through streets, allotments, back gardens, parks and ponds whilst cars, fences, park benches and a skate park take the place of legendary jumps The Chair, Becher’s Brook and Canal Turn.

The promo is set to The Night Marchers’ ‘Thar she blows’.

1 members found this post helpful.

...more than a few foxhunts have taken a similar route...
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Interesting, but it doesn't make my heart pound the way the 2009 Preakness video featuring Rachel Alexandra and Mine That Bird does. I still watch that old ad on occasion!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Actually, I do agree with you, Gestalt. The real GN is more heart-pounding, and to be there is beyond description. In the days I went, we could walk the course and - oh my!

A wee bit of apples to oranges with 'chasing to flat track racing, both with their own merits of course with excitement. The Grand National at Aintree being a completely different heart pumping exhibit from standard 'chasing in the US with NSA brush fences

BBC March 26, 2013: "Grand National 2013: Jockeys advised on safety ahead of race"

Riders are being told to be calm at the beginning of the race and that false starts "create an awful impression."

"We are all ambassadors for the race," said a note issued by the racecourse and Professional Jockeys' Association.

"We all need to savour the day and together you can do your profession and our sport proud."

Changes already announced for this year's race include shortening the distance to four miles and three-and-a-half furlongs from four-and-a-half miles and changing the core of fences - which are dressed in spruce - from wood to a more forgiving, flexible plastic material.

The advice for this year includes the following: "The start has been moved forward 90 yards to create a quieter environment and hopefully reduce the tension for all concerned.

"The line will be well back from the tape and jockeys will be requested to line up at or on the line, prior to the starter starting the race."

Runners haring off at high speed is considered a contributory factor to statistics which show that on average, more than half the falls in the 30-fence National occur in the first 90 seconds of a race which lasts more than nine minutes.

Riders are also urged to remember that they should use the full width of the course to avoid crowding around the inside line.
    Separately there have been additional discussions to remove the iconic fence - Becher's Brook - in the future.

"I said last year that Becher's is on a yellow card," [RSPCA's chief executive, Gavin Grant] said, "and, if we see repetition of the problems that we have had there before, then that will be a second yellow card and it will be time for Becher's to go."

He added: "I want to pay tribute to Aintree and the British Horseracing Authority because they have acted on the vast majority of the concerns we expressed following last year's race."
    April 6, 2013 is the big race.

The recent passing of Tommy Smith who rode Jay Trump to victory in the Grand National there were these videos -

Video (4min): prep work with Jay Trump before his GN run

Video (9min +): 1965 GN with American bred/owned/rode "Jay Trump"

For those interested - HRTV will air this Saturday (April 6th) LIVE the Aintree Grand National Steeplechase from 8:30-11:00am EST

29-yr old Katie Walsh, who last year achieved the best finish for a female rider in third, will return again aboard Seabass.

I was looking forward to seeing it on tv for the first time in years but HRTV have now changed their schedule for tomorrow. How do we find out if it'll still be shown?
    Member of Book Worms Clique and proud member of INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES.
    Mr Wigglebottom 1999-2010. Once in a lifetime cat. Much loved, much missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lcsd114 View Post
    I was looking forward to seeing it on tv for the first time in years but HRTV have now changed their schedule for tomorrow. How do we find out if it'll still be shown?
    I have Dish, and it stills shows on my program guide. Starts at 7:30a CDT
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Wonder how many horses this year will start but never finish alive???

It seems like a lot of the controversy is around Becher's Brook. What makes that such a dangerous spot?

I've never seen the Grand National (heard a lot about it though), but this topic has me watching a lot of YouTube of it. All I can say is that it makes me appreciate even more how athletic horses can be and that jocks must be completely unflappable.

I didn't think to check the TV guide, Toadie, I was looking at the online guide. I'll check when I get him.

Vaquero... Becher's is a famous fence because it was one of the trickiest to ride. It had a ditch and a slope angled down towards the fence on the landing side. It was named because the ditch used to be an actual brook and, in the first official running of the race, a Captain Becher fell there, right into the brook and he made such a fuss about it, the fence was named Becher's Brook after him. Now the ditch has been filled in and the slope has been leveled somewhat so the 'danger' has been lessened.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    29-yr old Katie Walsh, who last year achieved the best finish for a female rider in third, will return again aboard Seabass.
    Katie (Seabass) and Ruby (On his Own) are riding and Ted Walsh (Dad) is running two (Seabass and Colbert Station).

Imperial Commander could be the first horse to win the National and the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Beechers graphic here; http://www.grandnational.org.uk/fences.php
    It's on a corner too.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I have Dish, and it stills shows on my program guide. Starts at 7:30a CDT
    I have Dish also, but their on-screen guide is not showing anything about Aintree! Wonder what's going on?
    Cindy

Thank you for the vids of Jay Trump in 1965 - I was there!!! We could walk the course and the jumps bury you.

HRTV was a disappointment: they cut out before the GN.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

They actually showed the race live. They interrupted the show that started at 11am when it started. I was disappointed too at first but I kept the channel on just in case.