The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else feed copra?

I came by Coolstance by way of my mentor. I switched my guy over to it a year ago and he has completely blossomed. It's high fat but very low NSC. I've been super super thrilled with it and wish that more places carry it. Anyone else have experience with it?

http://www.stanceequine.com/product-coolstance-copra
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

It's only 8% fat, unless I'm reading their site wrong? I wouldn't really consider that very "high"...up there, but nothing special.

Interesting idea, though. How much does a bag cost and where do you get it locally?

Looks interesting. Do you know why it says to check your hay for seeds when feeding this product, though? I found that a bit odd. I would definitely look into this feed if the nearest dealer was less than 1.5 hours away!

I'm currently trialling it for 3 of mine, and it is too early for me to say much about it, but I can say they think it is delicious!

Simkie- It's about $25 a bag but you feed a lot less of it than you would with traditional grain. A 50lb bag lasts me a little over 2 months for 1 large WB. I get mine at Colorado Animal Health in Longmont.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Looks interesting. Do you know why it says to check your hay for seeds when feeding this product, though? I found that a bit odd. I would definitely look into this feed if the nearest dealer was less than 1.5 hours away!
    That I'm not sure about. I don't check mine and my guy is perfectly fine
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

My guess re: the hay seed comment is to reduce the NSC as much as possible in your hay as well.

Dani, do you soak it?

I soak it. I know it says on there you don't have to but it's very 'sawdust' like.

I do, for the same reason Loopy does. He LOVES his slop.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

While the stuff looks interesting, like most "grains" it has a very inverted Ca:P ratio (0.15:0.60). But the NO lysine is a turnoff. Lysine is an essential amino acid (essential meaning the horse can't make it). Feeding much of this to youngsters would not be a good idea unless the forage had sufficiient lysine and a much better Ca:P ratio.

What is meant by "medium quality" hay? Can that be eyeballed?

Well I am using it. BUT... not they way they suggest it as a proper feed. I was using alfalfa meal (alfalfa/molasses) just a big handful, on hte bottom of the lunch bags for the supplements to "stick" to. But since I am trying to reduce any unnecessary source of sugar for my older mare, I got this and am using just one half cup on the bottom of the bag for each horse. PUt supp's on top, add a squirt of Cocosoya and shake, and its all stuck together. The horses seem to love it. But I personally would not use it as a "grain replacement".

I heard of it through hear (I think arabiansrock was the first person I saw mention it). I read their "literature" and some accounts but didn't think too much of it... especially since there isn't a distributor around here.

The other day I came across coconut oil cheap... I picked it up, debating if I could use it for my hard-keeper. It's currently sitting on my kitchen table. Still haven't cracked it open for the horses...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    While the stuff looks interesting, like most "grains" it has a very inverted Ca:P ratio (0.15:0.60). But the NO lysine is a turnoff. Lysine is an essential amino acid (essential meaning the horse can't make it). Feeding much of this to youngsters would not be a good idea unless the forage had sufficiient lysine and a much better Ca:P ratio.

What is meant by "medium quality" hay? Can that be eyeballed?
    I thought that lack of lysine was a little odd, too...coconut DOES contain lysine. Look at this, for example:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3110/2

I can't imagine it really has NONE?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I thought that lack of lysine was a little odd, too...coconut DOES contain lysine. Look at this, for example:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3110/2

I can't imagine it really has NONE?
    http://www.stanceequine.com/announce...opra-meal-nbsp

This gives info on the amino acids in CoolStance Copra. The graph figures - I'm not sure if that is per pound, or ??

I fed it for less than two months because my very laminitic mare (not an IR horse, but is sugar intolerant, tests for nothing) would eat it fine for 3 days and then not eat for 2 days and then fine for 3 days and then not eat for 2 days.

She's not IR and is a moderate keeper, so this meant we were losing significant weight.

I now feed alfalfa pellets with sunflower seeds and flaxseed oil/coconut oil. She's very fat and very healthy

I have been feeding it as part of a whole foods diet and the jury is still out. It's awfully expensive when you add in shipping. Not sure there is a huge benefit. It does smell good though!

Has anyone tried feeding unsweetened shredded coconut? I was wondering of it would have better advantages than copra? Any thoughts insights?