The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin off of the best/worst purchases thread... Best Purchases on a tight budget!

For anyone that ever decides to take a break... Do not sell all your stuff! It cost a fortune to buy everything again!

On a budget, what have been your best purchases on equipment or apparel that were quality, effective, and did not break the bank??

1 members found this post helpful.

Get on all the emailing lists for sales notices - the big 20% off VTO etc is prime time for essentials! Someone pipe up with the next timing on that?

This site has some nice prices http://www.classicsaddlery.com/ I just got clearance turnout sheets for $45 and another winter blanket. Their Gladiator line is very substantial. Nice bridles on their closeouts too.

Of course Rolex shopping is spectacular. We've gotten many nice buys on-line with Tack Trader for breeches, tack and accessories. Likewise we just sold a ton of stuff thru this site and FB sales pages.

Check out the COTH classifieds below too.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I hit the consignment shops and clearance/ tent sales. The really cheap tack tends not to be worth it.

Smartpak Plymouth bridle. Best $50something (coupon!) bridle EVER!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

2 members found this post helpful.

Breeches:
    -Horze breeches on sale. I have five pairs and honestly they have lasted perfectly. Comfortable, flattering, and cute styles.
    -Equine Couture breeches are cheap and cute. Last for some time and look good.

Helmets:
    -Everyday I use the Ovation Schooler. Under $50, cheap, cool, looks good, adjustable, removable liner.

SmartPak Bridles are great. I have two, the Harwich and Plymouth and they have lasted quite well.

You can check eBay as well and look for cheap tack and sometimes get a few great deals.

Show clothes: Check eBay, Honestly so many good deals if you keep an eye out.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I always shop the consignment sections. I also look at clearance sections of stores an web sites. I also keep a watch out for moving sales or tack sale fund raisers.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I am definitely a rider on a budget, and I have shall we say a horse gear buying obsession. E-bay is your best friend. I've gotten some amazing deals on there. Because there is only one decent tack store near me I cruise the net alot. The deals are out there you just have to look. Also Tack-of-the-Day will also have some great stuff from time to time.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Tack swaps and the local yahoo group are my best friends

But as for best purchase I've made, I got a pair of the Nunn Finer rubber reins with the large rubber bumps last year at a VTO sale, totally worth it. I use those reins for everyday. So flexible, just the right thickness in my hand... Where had they been all my life?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Best purchase ever: a lot of 5 breeches for $30 TOTAL on eBay -- lady got pregnant, bonus for me!

Probably my other favourite scores were my indestructible, awesome Tory breastcollar (probably six years old now?) I got for $30 from horseloverz and my FREE composite, changeable tip spurs that came with some composite cheapie stirrups I ordered from Dover -- ended up selling the stirrups on, didn't notice any difference from my old Fillis, but kept the spurs and LOVE LOVE LOVE them, 5 different tips to choose from.

OK, and two more: my $30 Steubben web reins I bought a Rolex probably ten years ago, still my favourite reins, and my SmartPak Plymouth rubber weave web reins, also I think about $35, a very close second.

Well, gotta say, that dressage bridle dover sells for $39. It fits horse, has nice webbed reins, and although the leather quality is not great, it's not that bad. It's as nice as my "nice" dressage bridle I bought on closeout and I dislike. Leather is still stiff and plasticky. Paid a lot more!

Also, unless I have to have something today, I NEVER pay full price (okay, my saddle). I only shop big sales. 10% and free shipping is not enough. I need at least 20% to even think about it. I do like TOTD because quality is just as important. I can't stand paying money for something that falls apart.

Become FB friends with all the manufacturers so you get emails on the deals. I found I almost always have a coupon for something I need.

PKN

Saddlery Liquidators HayMarket VA their in house breeches Colt Cromwell amazing Quality.

Middleburg Tack Exchange never buy a new saddle again ....love that place also great buys on tall and paddock boots

Like buying my top shelf Pikuer and British tweed jackets from European sites if you know you'r size great bargains..

Bartville. Bartville Bartville

These are great ladies! I noticed that a lot of the more affordable brands I used to use are no longer on the market so pointing me in the right direction is a huge help! Especially since I live in Montana where tack shops that carry english apparel and equipment are scarce!

TuffRider is another of the affordable brands I really like for clothing, as is Dover's Riding Sport Their breeches both fit me well, are comfortable, look nice, and are durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraine View Post
    I am definitely a rider on a budget, and I have shall we say a horse gear buying obsession. E-bay is your best friend. I've gotten some amazing deals on there. Because there is only one decent tack store near me I cruise the net alot. The deals are out there you just have to look. Also Tack-of-the-Day will also have some great stuff from time to time.
    I agree! I am a bit of an ebay addict, myself... but you really can find some amazing deals on there. Check every day because there's always new stuff being listed!

My best tip is that once you restock and have the basic things you need -- take yourself OFF all these lists, unsubscribe from TOTD, and never go on ebay again. Out of sight, out of mind!

3 members found this post helpful.

I'll second or third (or wherever we are) the eBay suggestion. All of my real steals have come from there including $200 Ariat Monaco tall boots (brand new), a brand new Animo hunt coat for $200 ($800 retail), and countless pairs of breeches, bridles, and other tack dirt cheap. You have to be pretty diligent about searching because the really good deals don't come up all that often, but you can get unbelievable deals if you stick to it.

I also love Tack of the Day, and buy lots of blankets during their blanket sales. But you don't typically see high end stuff there, with the exception of the occasional pair of Ariat Pro Circuits.

And yes to the European sites. Amira Equi, Caval Europe, and I'm sure there are others. They often have great prices on name brand items. A quick note about that, though, is that you sometimes have to put an item in your basket and then select the option to remove the VAT, which will drop the price for you.

Middleburg Tack Exchange never buy a new saddle again ....love that place also great buys on tall and paddock boots
    Psssshhh..I spent over two years trolling their saddle room for a jump saddle. If you're hard to fit or your horse is, don't count on finding ANYTHING that will work. I never even took a saddle home to try. For other stuff, sure! And if you aren't too hard to fit or aren't terribly particular (extra forward saddles are hard to find used), then it is great. I've gotten a lot of great deals there. You can find GREAT blankets there, definitely.

My best find was a brand new (used ONCE) Piekur dressage coat that was abandoned in our trailer (long story). Had to get it tailored a bit, but $80 worth of quality tailoring for a $500 coat? A steal.

Yellowbritches, that's funny you say that, because I found my saddle at Middleburg. I was losing hope of EVER finding one! It's a wide tree with skid row panels, and I could only afford used. How often do you find one of those!? I looked for 2 years, lol, and went on Middleburg on a whim. Tears were shed.

Oh, and eBay is your friend, especially if you have an iPhone. You can get their app, and when you save searches, you can look as often as you want on all the newly added stuff. If you are serious about eBay buying, invest in some eSnipe points. TOTALLY worth it! Muahahahaha! I got a Hadfields bridle, with brass clincher browband AND noseband, for $200. Barely used!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I am very lucky to live near the SmartPak and Dover stores so I shop their clearance sections before looking elsewhere.

I always check Tack of the Day and stock up on gloves and breeches there. I also bought my Mountain Horse boots from them. They were half price so I bought two pairs and are now set of the foreseeable future.

For larger ticket items, like saddles, I've had good luck on eBay. I bought several very expensive saddles for under $750 -- Schleese, Stackhouse, County, Kieffer -- so that if they didn't work for me I could flip them and make some money.

Counter intuitively, I will buy things that I don't need right now if they are really a good buy, but only things I know that I'll need later.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

LOVE Classic Saddlery!!! I've gotten some great deals from Lynda over the years, and she really knows her stuff. I get every single email deal from every tack store on the planet - just managed to get a BOGO on clipper blades for my Clipmasters from Big Dee's. My DH is amazed (and frankly, frightened) by the number of email bargains I get.