The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OTTB Lameness advice please

Hi there,

I brought a new OTTB mare home 3/8 after a thorough PPE. Rode her about 4 times in the first two weeks including hacking in the woods. The last time we were hacking in the woods was last Sat 3/16. At the walk she took what felt like a big step and caught her heel. I didn't realize it immediately but a few minutes later at the trot, she was head bobbing lame. I hopped off, discovered the missing shoe on LF, and walked her the 2 miles home.

Prior to this, she was a little tender footed on the hard dirt roads with rocks, so I planned to put back shoes in her next time the farrier was out. She was never hacked in the woods in her previous home and has typical TB feet so I feel the back shoes are a necessity.

She is currently in steel front shoes, with RF in a myron mclane pad and epoxy pour. There is a good bit of difference between RF and LF as far as angles go hence the corrective shoeing.

The farrier couldnt make it out for two days after she pulled her shoe, and there seemed to be a good bit of trauma to the hoof. There was a lot of heat which prompted us to wrap her with ichthammol and even gave her bute for 1 day because she was just so sore.

When the farrier did make it out, he wanted to do a glue on but it was too wet out and too much heat in her hoof, so he tacked another shoe on, but only with 3 nails as she took a lot of her hoof wall off. He suggested she may be brewing an abcess but we will have to wait and see.

Two days after he was out, there was still a lot of heat so I soaked her in epsom salt which made one of the nails pop out about 1/2" (i hammered it back down).

Now, a week later, she is still slightly lame. Is it possible she is still brewing an abcess or has stone bruises from the barefoot walk home?

Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. She has been on normal turnout and I haven't soaked her since last Tues because there's been no indication yet of an abcess.

Thank you, all you wise COTHers!

did he hoof test her?

I had a similar thing happen with my older guy. He lost 3 shoes in about 2 weeks time. His hoof was really broken up and there was not much I could do until he grew more hoof. Since that time I have had him on a hoof supplement. It was also during a very wet period of time.

New horses also need to adjust to our trail footing as well as it being a steep hill. We have had several horses with tender feet until they are accustom to the rocky footing. Congratulations on your new horse !

Is it possible that when she tripped and pulled the shoes she stepped down on it? (Like on a nail or sideclip?) I had this happen and although the rest of the foot was fine, he was bruised and did abcessed and it took some time to heal up. (I saw him do it.) I would put some hoof testers on her. Bruises can take a long time to heal and she could be brewing and abcess.

Is she shod with quarter clips? Hate those things... they usually take a good chunk of foot off with them.

It's possible she's brewing an abscess, made herself sore or bruised walking around without a shoe.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Is she shod with quarter clips? Hate those things... they usually take a good chunk of foot off with them.

It's possible she's brewing an abscess, made herself sore or bruised walking around without a shoe.
    She is shod with quarter clips and now living in bell boots. I dont know why I didn't think she needed them before this, but yes, the trauma to the hoof was where the clip was.

I'm going to get some hoof testers on her as soon as I can get out there after work.

Thanks everyone!

If she were mine... I would forego the quarter clips (JMO). They do too much damage in the event the horse pulls a shoe. Not only do they take a chunk with them there is also the danger of stepping back down on the clip. I always ask my farrier to leave them off.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Just my two cents because I've seen it time and time again... Sometimes horses have two different feet, instead of trying to "correct" them, let them be as long as the horse is balanced and the trim is correct. Was she sound when you bought her with those feet? If so, there is your clue. I would try aluminum shoes on her for now, and paint her soles with Durasole. Keep an eye on the heat though could very well be an abcess.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Just my two cents because I've seen it time and time again... Sometimes horses have two different feet, instead of trying to "correct" them, let them be as long as the horse is balanced and the trim is correct. Was she sound when you bought her with those feet? If so, there is your clue. I would try aluminum shoes on her for now, and paint her soles with Durasole. Keep an eye on the heat though could very well be an abcess.
    She was sound, we planned to stay with the program she was on before as it seemed to be headed in the right direction. She was only shod with the myron mclane pad for the last 10 weeks and both her previous owner and myself have the farrier out every 5 weeks.

We haven't even had my farrier work on her yet except for this lost shoe debacle. He did mention wanting to switch her to aluminum shoes and see how that holds up and also adding back shoes just to make her more comfortable. My guess is the back shoes were skipped previously just because of the extra cost.

Something similar happened to my OTTB right after I got him. Sounds like a deep bruise. It may take time to resolve. What worked for me long term was keeping him in bell boots 24/7 and using keratex 2-3 times a week. We put him in full pads after the bruise resolved, but now use rim pads. Knock on wood, never an issue since.

My boy also grabbed his LF and landed on the bent shoe.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Finally got hoof testers on her today as I had to travel the last few days for work. Since i was gone we decided to go with "benign neglect" and just wait and see. The hoof testers showed sensitivity in her toe. The tear to the hoof wall was on the quarter clip so that sort of makes sense. She was sensitive more towards the center where a center clip would be.

There is still low-grade heat in the hoof and she's still lame at the trot.

I packed it with an epsom poultice and wrapped it today. Will go out and recheck tomorrow.

Farrier will be out in another week.

Argh!