The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Poor guy! Thanks goodness you got him in time.

What about the others in with him? Were they in equally sad shape?

StG

Thanks to everyone, especially his rescuer. He is a very lucky horse to have so many who cared about him.

So glad to find out this boy made it into better hands!!

Great save! I hope to see updates when he blooms.

What about the other horses that were with him?

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope she becomes a COTH member and posts! If she can let us know what he needs, I'd be happy to contribute

This..
    His new name might become Oliver. She feeds him in a pan outside and says after he's done eating, he picks up the pan in his mouth, carries it to the gate and drops it as if to say "please sir, can I have some more?" lol. He sounds like a real gem and I bet is going to make a really nice horse. I can't wait to see him progress
    Just made me smile. Bet he is a real sweet boy. This is a happy ending for sure. Some can be saved when everyone works together.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

I will tell her about this thread, but I know she will be posting updates on the OTTB Connect FB page and I will pass along any info she posts there. I assume the other horses were in decent shape or she would have shared that info as well. They are probably easy keepers but I suspect this guy has some issues that made it impossible to keep any weight on under the conditions he was living in.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Hello all!

The woman who saved him is named Debbie. I'm Crystal, her.. um.. I guess volunteer trainer/instructor whenever I'm not stuck at work. She has a total of 14 at her place now, all but one are rescues and she is entirely self-funded. She does plan on filing for non-profit status, but it's been hard to get the $800 fee to fill the paperwork out when there are so many there who have been racking up the vet bills.

"Oliver" (I'm still pushing this name on her lol) is very very sweet. He likes getting attention and hung out with us as we were talking about him. He's around 16 hands, and while he did not like his mouth messed with I managed to catch a glimpse of his lip and I'm 90% sure he does not have a tattoo. He is extremely underweight, but luckily Debbie has learned a lot about good feeding practices and the vet lives right across the road. The farrier was out today to pull his shoes. She does have paypal, I'll get the address for it. Supposedly a vet was offering to do vaccines/coggins "at cost" but we don't know how much that is. Last she told me she will probably have the regular vet come do it. Their office does take donations that will apply directly to her vet bill.

4 members found this post helpful.

Per Debbie, the farrier said his feet are actually good so the weight loss must have been rapid instead of gradually happening. He did get a trim and was a good boy for it.

So happy for the boy!
    OP Maybe you could change the title of this thread to say GOOD news, he has a home.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've been reading this thread from the start...and I'm so very happy for Oliver! That MUST be his name!

Keep us updated on the sweet boy!

Per Debbie:

Vet came today, he received his shots, coggins filed a few sharp teeth and a fecal. The vet said he is at about 15yrs old. does not have a tattoo. He was such a good boy, but he does not like his mouth touched.

Thanks for the Oliver updates.

I will send a dribble. can I paypal the vets office?

I know the vet office doesn't take paypal but they do take cards. I'll post up what the bill will be when it's available. Most likely he will need ulcer meds, which is $175 for a month supply.
    Debbie said he is doing good, and that the vet wants to check his teeth again in the next 6-8 months. He just got rabies and west nile vacc, they didn't want to overload him in his condition.

Small update: Oliver is already looking better. No photos though, as Debbie wants to wait until he is 2 weeks in so the difference is really noticeable. His eyes are brighter, and he's becoming very curious about who is coming and going and what we're up to. The vet did end up completely donating most everything, now to just get a blood panel done for him.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that's fantastic they donated their services!! Can't wait to see pictures :-)
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

PM me the vet's name and phone # and I'll debit card a little. Oh and the name that the account in under.

Good save. 14 horses are a lot of mouths to feed and vaccinate. I just got my bill for spring shots and coggins for 2.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just saw this. Poor guy, bless everyone for getting him out of there. His pictures are so sad. But I know he's happy now! One of my worst starved horses (she died after 4 mos.) had FANTASTIC feet. You just never know, some of that is genetic.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Nice job everyone!!
    Please post paypal information - a dribble is better than nothing!!
    Thank you for doing this.