The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Aw, he's cute! The fact that he is getting 12 lbs of grain and not holding weight, along with the fact that he "builds muscle easily" makes me wonder if he would be a good candidate for a low starch/high fat diet.

My TB loses weight and looks kind of crappy the more grain he gets. He looks excellent on 1/2 lb 2x a day of SafeChoice, free choice medium quality grass/alfalfa mix hay, grass pasture in summer, and 2 cups of soybean oil per day. Just tossing that out there.
    Also, isn't it best for horses who need to gain weight to get food in smaller quantities and frequently? In other words, like they would if they were foraging for it in the wild?

I'm not far from the horse but unfortunately have no trailer and very little money . Yay grad student life. Major kudos to Katyb for offering & surely someone must have a contact for trailering?! I just don't know that many people in the "area".
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Just saw that Duke has a new home. According to seller he checked out the new owners and felt comfortable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Has it ever occurred to people that we may not have an "unwanted horse" problem, but an "IDIOT OWNER" problem??? Poor horse.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Logical View Post
    Just saw that Duke has a new home. According to seller he checked out the new owners and felt comfortable.
    why is the ad still up? did it say that in the ad...I must have missed it!

Has this horse been rehomed for certain? The eventers ^ semi-snowbirds will be leaving Southern Pines soon enough and maybe he could hitch a ride with someone to another situation? Fayette-nam ain't but a short drive down Chicken Road from SP.

Somebody just emailed him and the horse is STILL for sale. She has a friend who lives in the same town (Fayettesville) who will take the horse but unfortunately her trailer isn't big enough to fit him. I'm going to make a new thread looking for transport, anybody in the area who can help? I'm sure she would appreciate any donations towards his vet care and getting him healthy again.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Happy update!! We got him a networked to a new home. The lady (who also runs a rescue) went to look at him today. Said he was in a lot with 4 other horses, no hay, no grass, very thin. Said he's not really that tall and will fit in her trailer, and that he was putting his head on her like 'get me out of here'. She placed a deposit and will return for him, ad was taken down. Should be getting some pictures and be able to follow his progress :-)
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

8 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the good update!!!

Craigslist 17hh = 15.3hh IRL.

StG

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    Happy update!! We got him a networked to a new home. The lady (who also runs a rescue) went to look at him today. Said he was in a lot with 4 other horses, no hay, no grass, very thin. Said he's not really that tall and will fit in her trailer, and that he was putting his head on her like 'get me out of here'. She placed a deposit and will return for him, ad was taken down. Should be getting some pictures and be able to follow his progress :-)
    Well done you!!

2 members found this post helpful.

The height difference is the same as every time I've ever gone horse hunting: All advertised-as-16 hand horses were about 15.2.

OK so does the woman who picked him up need anything? If she has a paypal address, PM me.

Many times people will say a horse has been placed because they don't want "us," horse owners, calling or emailing them. Good think people kept up with this, or that horse might still be standing there. I hope the 3 other horses got some hay.

*UPDATE*

The horse is safe in his new home and thank god, because his condition was far worse than the original ad picture showed. He wouldn't have lasted there much longer :-(

Photos....
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...00428227_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...53338888_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...91193695_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...30871711_n.jpg

I cross posted this ad onto the OTTB Connect FB page and a lady asked about him. I updated her with what I read on this post, that the horse had a new home and was safe. She had a feeling something wasn't right so she called the guy and found out he was still available. She had a friend that lived in the area who takes in rescue horses. She had seen the ad too but decided to pass on it, but her friend talked her into going and taking a look. When she saw how bad his condition really was, she knew she couldn't leave him there. She said he laid his head on her like he was begging her to save him.

She said there was 4 other horses on the property, no grass, no hay. The guy claimed he put the shoes on the horse, and his stories kept changing about everything so she didn't know what to believe. Doesn't look like he's tattooed but doesn't like his mouth handled, probably some teeth issues. His new owner said he freaked out when she picked up a lunge whip that was near him, so maybe he'd been beat with it before.

She will be getting a Coggins, fecal and bloodwork pulled on him this week, starting him on ulcer treatments and dewormer. He has a home for life and sounds like it's a great one. She is retired Military and I know would appreciate any donations (some people have offered to send wormer and ulcer meds) and she does have a PayPal, so if anybody wants to send anything please PM me and I'll get you the info.

His new name might become Oliver. She feeds him in a pan outside and says after he's done eating, he picks up the pan in his mouth, carries it to the gate and drops it as if to say "please sir, can I have some more?" lol. He sounds like a real gem and I bet is going to make a really nice horse. I can't wait to see him progress.

Thank you SO much Vermillion for bringing this ad to our attention, and huge thanks to the lady who followed up on him and the lady who has taken him in. It's heartbreaking seeing ads like that and we can't save them all, but it's nice to know that through the power of the internet and networking, we can save some of them. Even if you can't do anything yourself to help, sometimes bringing it to others attention is all it takes to save a life :-)
    OTTB CONNECT

11 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for taking care of this guy! Neglect absolutely!
    Oliver, how appropriate. Wonderful he has an angel or two...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I'm so glad he's safe. Poor baby's rough times are behind him, now. Oliver seems like the perfect name for him.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Super update. Glad he's home.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Oh those pics are gut wrenching! Definitely looks much worse than the pics in the ad!

That is fantastic news~ Good on everyone who helped the little man have a new chance at life!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

*UPDATE*

The horse is safe in his new home and thank god, because his condition was far worse than the original ad picture showed. He wouldn't have lasted there much longer :-(

Photos....
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...00428227_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...53338888_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...91193695_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...30871711_n.jpg

I cross posted this ad onto the OTTB Connect FB page and a lady asked about him. I updated her with what I read on this post, that the horse had a new home and was safe. She had a feeling something wasn't right so she called the guy and found out he was still available. She had a friend that lived in the area who takes in rescue horses. She had seen the ad too but decided to pass on it, but her friend talked her into going and taking a look. When she saw how bad his condition really was, she knew she couldn't leave him there. She said he laid his head on her like he was begging her to save him.

She said there was 4 other horses on the property, no grass, no hay. The guy claimed he put the shoes on the horse, and his stories kept changing about everything so she didn't know what to believe. Doesn't look like he's tattooed but doesn't like his mouth handled, probably some teeth issues. His new owner said he freaked out when she picked up a lunge whip that was near him, so maybe he'd been beat with it before.

She will be getting a Coggins, fecal and bloodwork pulled on him this week, starting him on ulcer treatments and dewormer. He has a home for life and sounds like it's a great one. She is retired Military and I know would appreciate any donations (some people have offered to send wormer and ulcer meds) and she does have a PayPal, so if anybody wants to send anything please PM me and I'll get you the info.

His new name might become Oliver. She feeds him in a pan outside and says after he's done eating, he picks up the pan in his mouth, carries it to the gate and drops it as if to say "please sir, can I have some more?" lol. He sounds like a real gem and I bet is going to make a really nice horse. I can't wait to see him progress.

Thank you SO much Vermillion for bringing this ad to our attention, and huge thanks to the lady who followed up on him and the lady who has taken him in. It's heartbreaking seeing ads like that and we can't save them all, but it's nice to know that through the power of the internet and networking, we can save some of them. Even if you can't do anything yourself to help, sometimes bringing it to others attention is all it takes to save a life :-)
    WOW he is in poor shape, saved none too soon.
    It would be so great if the woman who took him in could come on here, to keep folks updated as he improves. imagine what he will look like with 200 plus lbs on him. Wonderful!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Thank you to all his angels! It seems he nearly slipped through the cracks several times - even with caring, concerned people rooting for him!?! Thank God, someone persevered to make SURE he was safe.
    This horse is in way worse condition than we were led to believe by the former owner. I take back what I said earlier about the owner "caring" and wanting to "do right" by him. That owner was IMO a negligent, irresponsible liar. You just can't believe people ...

5 members found this post helpful.

so glad he is safe.... thanks for letting me join the group!