The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I know of a lady in Central NC area that rescues and rehabs horses. She works independently of one of the humans societies. I'm not sure what experience she has as far as OTTBs, but I will forward this link to her and see what she might be able to do.

3 members found this post helpful.

Poor guy, it would be so wonderful if someone could take him in.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'm confident he'd gain weight here, out on pasture. I've had several supposed "hard keepers" come here as fosters, and all have gained nicely here, on just ration balancer and pasture. If anyone can work it out to get him nearby, I'm willing. Normally, I'd have free time for transporting, but we have had to take in a niece and nephew suddenly and apparently permanently, so we are a bit overbooked.

5 members found this post helpful.

Home offered. Need trailering. Here we go......c'mon COTH.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

2 members found this post helpful.

If anyone can transport him to katyb, I will chip in for gas.

PM me with a paypal address if anyone can transport him.

I've owned 3 ottb mares. 2 were in good shape when I got them and were easy keepers. Callie was old and skinny. Within 6 months she was in great shape. And became easy keeper ottb mare #3. Old horses do not have to be skinny or stay skinny. Those flax and rice bran supplements couldn't be given to my mares, because they got chubby within weeks. One big bag of Buckeye Ultimate Finish will put sone flesh on that horse.

And that horse probably needs some dental work and worming.

Awww, I like Duke. I can't take him but he looks a gem underneath it all. If someone gets him, on this board, please keep us (especially me) posted on him. Duke just calls out!!
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post

Same here. I'd trailer him if I could, but that isn't a possibility for me (no trailer). Instead, I'd love to offer some some financial help if I can.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

1 members found this post helpful.

Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    Same here. I'd trailer him if I could, but that isn't a possibility for me (no trailer). Instead, I'd love to offer some some financial help if I can.
    Same here. I can only send a dribble, but if we can git 'er done, I'm in!

I just want to clarify - I will get him healthy, if possible, and in a good home. I'd love to keep him, but my lease is tenuous at best. It's paid up for six months now, which should be plenty of time to get him sorted out. I handled adoption for Horse Haven of TN for some time, so I have the skills to get him placed, assuming he can get healthy. Worst case, I can afford to euth.

9 members found this post helpful.

Katyb I'm fine with that and hope all others are too. Can also send a little dribble.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Hey Katyb If/when he get's to you I'd like to come see him, I can talk to my students parents and see where they are on their horse decision making, if he Is a good citizen I could possibly have a home for him. I'm not holding my breath but They've been talking about it for sometime and I've been the one having them hold off.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I just want to clarify - I will get him healthy, if possible, and in a good home. I'd love to keep him, but my lease is tenuous at best. It's paid up for six months now, which should be plenty of time to get him sorted out. I handled adoption for Horse Haven of TN for some time, so I have the skills to get him placed, assuming he can get healthy. Worst case, I can afford to euth.
    I believe that is more than generous. Thank you.

Now we just need a trailer, it seems.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

3 members found this post helpful.

Count me in for help with gas/carrots/whatever to get him moved...

Default "Team Duke"

Okay, here's a summary:

*Vermillion originally spotted the craigslist ad and posted here.

*equine08 contacted the seller and got the info on Duke (who sounds like a very solid citizen)

*Duke is located in the Fayetville, NC area. His owner does care about him. The price is firm at $250, but owner wants to do right by the horse. Owner's situation dictates that the horse has to move soon.

*Katyb (located in TN) has offered to keep Duke on the large well-pastured acreage she is leasing. She will try to help the horse regroup, and can be his temporary safety net while a more permanent home is found. If left with no alternative, Duke will be well fed, well cared for, and subsequently euthanized if a suitable long-term situation doesn't develop by the time Katyb's lease runs out (approximately 6 months).

*Meanwhile, Stashica (also located in TN) might be interested in Duke for a student, and if Duke goes to Katyb, Stashica would like to investigate him further.

*If purchased for $250, Duke still needs a way to get to from NC to Katyb in TN.

*Offers of modest financial help are currently promised by fellow COTHERS:
    ~Cloudyandcallie
    ~Vermillion
    ~CharingHounds
    ~Equine Studies
    ~Bathsheba

Now "Team Duke" is in need of a plan.

Is there a donation fund to get him to katy?

Maybe a separate post asking for trailering assistance would get some attention? That seems to be the hold up. I wish I could just go, but I have one kid with the flu, two extras home on Spring Break, and I'm working. I'm pretty much all tapped out, time wise.

I know it's a little insane to offer but I could drive but I don't have a truck and trailer... Actually i'm going to ask a friend. it's dubious but she may be willing to haul.

Thank you everyone for your concern for Duke. I wanted. to add I am not in that area of the country. However, I cross posted Duke on my FB page from the Rescue Rangers Horses In Need FB page. The CL ad indicated Duke needed to go by last weekend. My initial reason for calling was to determine if Duke was still available prior to sharing him out.

In all fairness to the owner, I wanted to share what he told me about Duke without making any accusations. I am hoping anyone here who is close enough to make a visit will do so to assess the condition of any other horses/animals on the property.

Re Transportation, there are at least two sites you can search for low cost transport.
    1) www.fleetofangels.org Fleet of Angels has both commercial haulers with discounted rates and a whole network of volunteer haulers who will ofyen haul shorter distances, or legs of a longer distance for the actual costs of fuel&tolls. They have a FB page where you can post inquiries of looking for transport & some future hauls looking to fill a load to reduce costs. But the best situation requires you to sign up for a free account on their website. This will then provide access to a map of nationwide angels&contact info for those who may be able to assist on your specific route at the best possible cost. Currently the mapped network is only viewable from a computer due to the phase out of Adobe Flash Player on mobile devices.

2) Rescue Rangers is a FB page of those trying to provide affordable transport for rescue&CL horses costing under $500. You can post a transport need & get a quote if someone is hauling that route.

Since these types of sites are predominantly rescues & many have come from auctions, it is very important to specify whether you need a "CLEAN" or "DIRTY" load. Dirty loads come from.auctions or feedlots or situations where horses may have been exposed to sickness or disease. Clean loads are for horses that have been quarantined, or horses coming from private farms or facilities.

Aw, he's cute! The fact that he is getting 12 lbs of grain and not holding weight, along with the fact that he "builds muscle easily" makes me wonder if he would be a good candidate for a low starch/high fat diet.

My TB loses weight and looks kind of crappy the more grain he gets. He looks excellent on 1/2 lb 2x a day of SafeChoice, free choice medium quality grass/alfalfa mix hay, grass pasture in summer, and 2 cups of soybean oil per day. Just tossing that out there.