The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Angry why, Why, WHY!?! 17 h TB in NC desperately needs upgrade & groceries!

This add literally broke my heart...I just saw it.

I just don't get "people" and why they think the way they do and to think that this horse just isn't an "easy keeper."

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/grd/3683350168.html
    Last edited by Vermilion; Mar. 25, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

Sounds sweet. :/

Why? Because ignorance is the most common substance in the universe. Hope somebody gives this guy an upgrade; he sure needs one.

6 members found this post helpful.

Well, obviously if you were a "horse proffesinal" you'd know that TBs just have a "much higher matabilism."

I can't have another horse, but this guy might still have a lot of miles in him, and sure could use an upgrade. Any of my fellow Carolinians got room for one more?

Oh, geez, just noticed he's priced at $250 and "must go this weekend." Nice. NOT.

Duke is a 13-year-old Thouroughbred, never raced. He was raised most of his life in the mountains of NC. He rides perfectly (Western; never tried english). Currently shod. Duke has ridden in the Uwarrie Mountains, Raven Rock and multiple other areas. Duke is sure-footed; he does not spook to gunfire, cars or other loud noises. Duke has never bucked, but does slightly rear when aggravated though he has not done that for quite a while.

As far as TBs go Duke is pretty laid back. He does "charge the hill" (trot up hills) and loves doing so, but in genral he is fine just walking along, He will get up in speed if you ask but does not have to be running.

As with most TBs, Duke is a harder keeper; they do have a much higher matabilism. As long as there is grass or hay available and daily grain he is good. Duke does not build fat and he needs to be worked; he will build muscle VERY quickly. He currently rides with a Hackamore system.

Please call 910-814-1920 (this is a house phone so texts will not work.). We are horse proffesinals, we know he is still puting on wieght and dont need to be reminded of this.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

5 members found this post helpful.

Rats. This guy was posted last weekend (with the same ominous MUST GO NOW tag) on Facebook. He looked pretty thin in the posted photo, and there was snow on the ground.

Too bad the last thing I need is another 13 y/o chestnut TB gelding.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Surely the meat buyers don't bid on horses that emaciated, right?

"He does not build fat and needs to be worked." Good gosh. That horse does NOT need work! He needs some groceries! I can't believe he's only 13! He looks 28!

How miserable he must be!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Funny, they have enough money to put shoes on the horse, but not to feed him.

And I really hope they haven't been riding him in this condition, but who knows. If someone is willing to give him a home, I might be willing to chip-in.

It is somewhat comforting to know that he may still be around since the same thing was posted last weekend.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

3 members found this post helpful.

He's got a hollow hip, but is that divot on this back starvation or is there something wonky going on with his back?

I don't mind showing ribs (I'd rather see too skinny than too fat) but he looks old, nqr, and like work should not be high on the agenda. Too far for me to do anything about him (not to mention it's still freezing and I doubt he needs to be colder) but anyone local call on him and see if he's gone yet?

we don't know how long these proffesinals have had him. What we know is that he needs an upgrade...someone?????

I have seen starved horses and I don't think he looks wonky...just SKINNY. It's amazing how old they can look and then with some flesh...they can be gorgeous. Looks like he's a sweety. Husband horse material?? 17h.

He doesn't put on fat? How many times have I heard that excuse for a ribby horse?
    Last edited by horsecrazy12; Mar. 24, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: misplaced smiley

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    Surely the meat buyers don't bid on horses that emaciated, right?

"He does not build fat and needs to be worked." Good gosh. That horse does NOT need work! He needs some groceries! I can't believe he's only 13! He looks 28!

How miserable he must be!
    Kill buyers take everything.

Why does this ad ring a bell from last fall shared here on COTH? Please, someone help him!
    D>
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

oh good golly I'd take him for a student of mine but I feel like my boyfriend would blow a gasket and I'm not sure she's ready for a horse anyway... but I want to so bad

The TB's at my old barn were "hard keepers" compared to my TWH but I did that magical thing called feeding and they always looked good despite their "much higher matabilism"

4 members found this post helpful.

I just thought about how he must look under his fuzzy winter coat poor guy 12 isn't even that old, especially for a horse who hasn't been worked hard.

Maybe a thread title that reflects the situation would draw more attention?
    Ex.
    17 h TB in NC desperately needs upgrade & groceries!

But,
    WHY, why, why??? definitely expresses the feeling.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Poor boy. If I had a way to get him to my place I'd probably take a chance on him.

I'm near Knoxville and have a lease on 30 acres of pasture for the next six months, if anyone can help get him here, I'll give it a go. We have just taken in two extra kids, so I have zero time for traveling at the moment, but I do have grass.

19 members found this post helpful.

Bump. Has anyone called or emailed to see if he is still around? Anyone headed west who can get him to katyb? I'm in NC, but the western part. I don't currently have connections in the horse world in this area but would be happy to spread the word if he needs a place to stay overnight around here or something.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

I just got off the phone with the owner of "Duke." Duke is still available and he will keep the horse until sold. The owner seems to have a genuine affection for the horse. He is not a professional, but stated he does a little training whatever that means. He is active military and moved to this property this past winter when the grass was dead; and, also anticipating moving out west to Wyoming sometime within the next year. He has a concern that area will be too cold for a TB.

He also stated the horse is getting 12 lbs of feed a day, is UTD on shots and always has a round or square bale out with him. He has had the horse approx. 16 months, when 2 owners back his original owner gave him to someone who did not really want the horse and the last owner provided the horse very little in the way of hay&grain before she sold the horse to him. He stated the horse does well on Purina Strategy and Horsemen's Edge. However on Purina Senior feed, the horse did not maintain his weight. He also stated that the horse needs to work to maintain muscle or he becomes too thin. The owner has been riding the horse up until about 10 days ago when owner injured his ankle and will be unable to ride again for 3 months & his concern is the horse will not maintain muscle/weight during that time frame.

I know this does not make a whole lot of sense to us but he seemed genuinely concerned for the welfare of the horse. He was very forthcoming about the horse including such things as the horse rides in a hackamore and dislikes the bit, Duke is very good with kids & does not buck or shy. Stated the ONLY TIME the horse got just a little nervous was on a very narrow mountain trail when the horse came face to face with a bear & that wasn't even a spook but more of a let's leave the bear alone type demeanor. He even went so far as to bring up what are Duke's favorite treats which is carrots; Duke doesn't really like apples but will take half of one on occasion.

In his opinion, the horse has no health issues and is sound. He was polite enough to offer to contact me if the horse gets sold to prevent anyone from making a wasted trip. And he volunteered the info that he does not buy horses for resale. Based upon what he told me, I suspect quality of the hay may be one issue.

In any event, he is firm on the price of $250, and it is in Duke's best interests if we can network for a good, knowledgeable home for him.

20 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like teeth could be an issue too with him eating but not gaining weight and not liking the bit. At least he seems like he is trying, just uneducated. I crossposted him on my OTTB page with the info you shared, hopefully he can get an upgrade. Sounds like he could be an awfully nice horse with a little work.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

2 members found this post helpful.