The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Texas A&M Equine Center under construction collapses

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Four workers were injured, three critically, when a portion of the Texas A&M Equine Center under construction on the west side of the campus collapsed Saturday morning, according to KBTX.
    Between 25 and 30 workers were on the scene in the 3500 block of F&B Road near FM 2818 at the time of the collapse, according to College Station Fire Department spokesman Bart Humphries.
    A number of workers were in elevated positions tying steel together on the 35-foot-tall, 300-foot-long barn when they came down.
    Emergency crews rushed to the scene, and as of early Saturday afternoon, primary and secondary searches of the collapsed structure have been completed. All those injured and trapped have been accounted for.
    According to a time line provided by the CSFD, they received the call at 10:49 a.m. First-responders were on scene six minutes later. They were told four workers were in the portion that had collapsed. By 11:18 a.m., those four were on their way to hospitals.
    The three critically injured workers were taken to St. Joseph Regional Health Center in Bryan with what are described as "multi-trauma" injuries. The fourth worker was taken to the College Station Medical Center.
    Once the structure was deemed stable, a secondary search was started. By 11:56 a.m., that search was complete and no others were found.
    Ground was broken in October on the equine center. The first phase of the $80 million project was set for completion in 2014.
    Phase 1, valued at $35 million, was for "facilities for the Aggie equestrian team and a cross-country course in collaboration with Texas A&M Athletics," according to a press release from the athletics department. "New facilities for the Parsons Mounted Cavalry are also included in the plan."
    Stay with KHOU.com and KHOU 11 News this weekend as more information on this developing story becomes available.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/Porti...212614741.html
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Scary stuff.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Damn, what's with the collapsing bldgs lately? Philly, then a parking garage local to me... Hopefully everyone will be ok.

The facility sounds like it will be palatial when they get it done...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Some engineering firm is going to be in big trouble for this one.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Some engineering firm is going to be in big trouble for this one.
    Don't be too sure about that. A lot if time it's caused by shoddy construction by the construction company. Sometimes they take the cheap route to save money - they don't follow the specs. I've worked for a major engineering firm for years and the majority of the time when we hear this kind of stuff it's due to shoddy construction practices. And NO I'm not saying that is the cause here but don't blame the engineers .

i do hope the injured all make a full recovery - that had to have been one scary scene .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

3 members found this post helpful.

Phase 1, valued at $35 million, was for "facilities for the Aggie equestrian team and a cross-country course .... no wonder tuition is so high

It was being paid for by a wealthy donor. As are most new constructions on public school campuses. Tuition has nothing to do with it.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    . . .

i do hope the injured all make a full recovery - that had to have been one scary scene .
    No doubt.

My dad is an engineer and we used to argue over construction flaws vs design flaws, like the Kansas City Hyatt disaster. The builder couldn't interpret the design to make it work so made changes that proved to be disastrous.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My local news just showed this--looks like the steel framework for the roof was up and just came all the way down. All of it. Very weird to see the whole thing come down like that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    It was being paid for by a wealthy donor. As are most new constructions on public school campuses. Tuition has nothing to do with it.
    no less than 1/2 ... of the $80M is covered by donors

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/tamu-equine/n...equine-complex

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    no less than 1/2 ... of the $80M is covered by donors

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/tamu-equine/n...equine-complex
    Right. They were given $35 million, which is the exact cost of phase 1, which is what they were/are building. The rest of the complex won't go up until someone pays for it. Again, tuition has nothing to do with it.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to work for a company that wrote professional liability coverage on architects and engineers. Given the number of large construction projects in the U.S. at any given time the incidence of problems is really pretty low. Most of the incidents are not catastrophic. But every now and then one is.

This incident will employ a battalion of Texas lawyers for a decade or more.

IIRC a lot of physical plant construction at A&M and UT (and in their systems) is financed by a permanent trust that's funded by oil and gas royalties owned by the State.

I don't think tuition at most public schools is much influenced by construction costs as they tend to be funded by the legislatures (in addition to grants, bequests, etc.). But I'd never say "never" and would always avoid the word "always."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.