The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Unfforgettable View Post
    Just for giggles, I pulled the photo up in Photoshop and resized it so I could see more clearly. That horse is NOT showing any ribs, is not hollow or lacking muscles across the topline or hindquarters, the hipbones aren't jutting out, and it is most certainly not starving. It's a solid 4.5 -5.

While it is not a particularly well-put together or attractive horse, it is in good weight, and there is even a bit of shine to it, even with a shaggy, sweaty winter coat.
    I too used Photoshop to pull the photo up and resize it. The photo I see when I look at the larger file is a photo of a horse in half-way decent weight - not fat and happy the way we seem to prefer our horses in this day and age, but also not starving to death thin. The mess over the ribs does seem to be just sweat to me. What concerned me wasn't the ribs or the weight, but what is going on over the croup. There seems to be a missing chunk of horse. Of course it is possible there is a white marking there that is fooling they eye, but I believe when I blow the photo up I see the bush behind the horse pretty clearly in that space. And yes, it appears the croup/rump area has some hollows as well.
    Overall, this horse isn't on death's door IMVVHO, but also isn't shiny fat and happy.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I also just saw a slightly lean, sweaty horse (who maybe has a little age on him?) They aren't show hunters!
    This!

Certainly not a starved creature with scaring on visible ribs.

Just a question about the harness on the horse. Does the collar fit correctly on it? Isn't it a bit high or too small? If so, to my inexperienced driving eyes, I'm more concerned about the horse air being cut off a bit.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Just a question about the harness on the horse. Does the collar fit correctly on it? Isn't it a bit high or too small? If so, to my inexperienced driving eyes, I'm more concerned about the horse air being cut off a bit.
    No, it doesn't fit well, but he doesn't mind - he keeps working doesn't he? [sarc]

2 members found this post helpful.

When I looked at him I had to take into account that there is a crupper most likely going down his backbone along with the breeching, the collar, the overcheck etc. All that is going to change how we see his topline and get in the way of seeing the rest of him. I also see a little gut - a mare in foal perhaps? She/ He's no pretty show horse, that's one thing for certain.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

well, if we are going to pick apart the photo let me add that he is not standing under him/herself in the back end.

I don't see a top line, I see a horse that has been allowed to trot along on its front end and has an under developed top line. The collar is indeed too small, but the amish do what the amish do and they get a way with it. The horse is neither ribby or over weight. He is of working weight as others have suggested, (I would like him/her to have a bit more weight but, it is what it is).

Honestly, I need to stop or I will myself up into a lather.

This is only one of many reasons not to give Leerburg money.

I'd rather not support someone that thinks choking a dog out is an acceptable training method, based on his misunderstandings of debunked "dominance" crap.
    I've watched a number of their videos, just out of curiosity, and they are horrific in their general lack of understanding of dogs in general and in their brutal approach to training. They mis-diagnose fear-based behaviors as "dominance aggression" and suggest using brutal punishment methods; they suggest using remote collars as nasty punishment devices rather than the gentle negative reinforcement suggested by most experts; and their advice about how to "establish pack structure" with puppies is bound to scar the pups for life. The kicker is when what's his name goes to "reward" dogs by pounding on their heads, and all of the dogs give him dirty looks.

Once watched someone attempt to cure a dog's "dominance aggression" as diagnosed by the Leerburg people using their approach. To me, the dog appeared to be mildly leash-reactive, which is a fear-based behavior and is readily curable by socialization and desensitization. Anyway, the Leerburg approach is to put a tight thin nylon choker on the dog (a "dominant dog" collar), and when the dog reacts to the sight of another dog, you lift the dog off his feet and hold him there, choking and gasping. Well, surprise, after only 15 minutes of "training" this dog had gone from mildly leash-reactive to total freak out at the mere sight of another dog off in the distance, and shortly after that, as the "trainer" went to choke the terrified dog yet again the dog lunged at the trainer and tried to kill him. A clear case of justifiable self-defense, I thought.

so I agree, buy your leather leashes from Quillin and your dog training videos from Dogwise and don't give money to these people.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not seeing the horse photo, maybe it was removed? But I'd like to add that I bought the leash in question when I was a stupider (ok, less informed) person, and it is a very poor quality leash. The stitching is coming loose and the leather is sub-par.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://leerburg.com/amish.htm This is the image -just your basic Amish buggy horse. Certainly not enough to poist and go "after" a company... Seems kind of rude.
    Last edited by Cielo Azure; Mar. 25, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't see anything wrong with the horse. Just not eye appealing, but not anything to write home about.

Am I the only not seeing a horse on that page at all??? I even watched the videos...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

It appears that the photo was removed. It was on the very bottom of the page earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    http://leerburg.com/amish.htm This is the image -just your basic Amish buggy horse. Certainly not enough to poist and go "after" a company... Seems kind of rude.

It is still located above
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Having been to an Amish shop and had them custom make a couple of things for me... I have to say, that guy is making a killing off of those leather straps!

I wonder what percentage the Amish guy gets?

Now the picture of the horse and buggy is at the top of the page and I agree. I dont see abuse, nor neglect here. Just a working animal.

Anybody get the feeling that Leerburg is tracking their hits and reading this?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Anybody get the feeling that Leerburg is tracking their hits and reading this?
    This. I've noticed since I clicked on their page from the link, now I'm getting their ads all over FB. Beginning to think it's the old 'stay away from HERE' and everyone goes there immediately.

As for the quality Amish stuff. I've bought some of the best things from the general Amish and then again, some really sucky stuff. As with any company, check whatever out closely before you buy. Just 'cause it's 'Amish', doesn't mean it's the end-all, be-all. Now, anything I bought in Scotland, now THERE is quality!! Don't give it a second thought.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!