The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

KateKat, I'll be moving to Millbrae specifically - for now at least. I'm just out of college and looking for a job, my dad lives there so it's a place to live rent-free until I can get a job. I'll extend my job search to beyond SF, though!

MovingWest, I'm on the plane to SF right now, I will let you know!

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I will be checking out some places in the east bay - most aren't too far, and it does look like they have more of what I'm looking for.

If you are living in Millbrae and are working in SF or the peninsula, the commute to the east bay would not be a very fun one in the evenings.....

At one point I even worked/boarded in the east bay and even though it was only 15 miles, it would take me almost 45 minutes and that was opposite commute! On the flip side, the barns are a little cheaper and you do have more options for longer turnout, larger paddocks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayelix View Post
    KateKat, I'll be moving to Millbrae specifically - for now at least. I'm just out of college and looking for a job, my dad lives there so it's a place to live rent-free until I can get a job. I'll extend my job search to beyond SF, though!

MovingWest, I'm on the plane to SF right now, I will let you know!

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I will be checking out some places in the east bay - most aren't too far, and it does look like they have more of what I'm looking for.

1 members found this post helpful.

At any barn with top trainer(s), expect to pay around $1,000 and up for boarding alone. Most places do 2 hours turnout in a small paddock.

You could look into boarding on pasture board at CTETA (The Horse Park At Woodside) and then work with one of the trainers there----they have Willow Tree, which is an excellent jumping barn. And it's huge, has a gallop track, cross-country fences, etc. I don't know what board is there these days, but it sounds like it might be the best option for you without you having to try to manage the East Bay.

Good luck! I'm moving to CA this July; specifically, Woodland which is just north of Sacramento. My horses are currently on night turnout, which I LOVE, so hoping to find somewhere that can accommodate.

In the Woodland area you probably have a decent chance of finding turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    At any barn with top trainer(s), expect to pay around $1,000 and up for boarding alone. Most places do 2 hours turnout in a small paddock.

You could look into boarding on pasture board at CTETA (The Horse Park At Woodside) and then work with one of the trainers there----they have Willow Tree, which is an excellent jumping barn. And it's huge, has a gallop track, cross-country fences, etc. I don't know what board is there these days, but it sounds like it might be the best option for you without you having to try to manage the East Bay.
    That sounds great... how does boarding work there? Do you board at the individual barn (Willow Tree) or do you board at The Horse Park?

These big facilities with multiple trainers are way different than what I'm used to, so sorry if I sound clueless!

Also - anyone have experience with Clermont Equestrian?

That sounds great... how does boarding work there? Do you board at the individual barn (Willow Tree) or do you board at The Horse Park?

These big facilities with multiple trainers are way different than what I'm used to, so sorry if I sound clueless!
    Pasture board is through the Horse Park, I believe stall board is only with the individual barns. Stalls in Willow Tree's barn were $950/month through the Horse Park (special case when my trainer's stalls were full), not sure if Willow Tree charges a different amount.

Usually in the big multiple trainer facilities, you write a check for board to the facility, which covers hay and stall cleaning and a stall, and then you write a separate check to the trainer for lessons and other services, including things like blanketing or fly masks, feeding supplements, turnout, etc. Sometimes there is also a charge for a share of a tack or feed room, parking a trailer, extra or different hay, etc. Make sure when you are price comparing that you are asking about all the typical services/charges for that barn, and what services are included. I frequently found that places where board was apparently less actually cost more by the time you added all the a la carte elements.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

This is what I do, and I LOVE it! The added bonus is there are a lot of schooling and rated shows there, so you won't have to leave the property. I am paying $470 for pasture.

I boarded at Stanford prior to moving to the Horsepark Pasture. Board there ranges from $800 to $1200 and turn out is done in 8 hour shifts, although it's on dirt.

If you end up in the South Bay, you can look at Red Fox Farm in Gilroy. They have pasture boarding options and stall paddock combos as well as turnout although it's only a few hours a day.

Also - anyone have experience with Clermont Equestrian?
    Clermont seems to have a lot of turnover with boarders. Three friends of mine loved it at first but after no longer being the "new" boarder, things started to go bad. Everything from arena time to turn out began to be a hassle.

I was recently acquainted with someone who does board there now, and will ask her for an assessment. I know they always seem to offering boarding "deals" so they may still have difficulty keeping boarders.
    Last edited by jenm; Apr. 10, 2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added info
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Wide Square - there are not very many places with all day turnout on Woodland. There are plenty of places with small pastures you may turn your horse out in for a limited time (usually 20 min - 1 hour) I think Woodland Stallion Station has pasture board, and from what I hear the lady that took over HNR (now Sugarland Horse Park) offers to turn horses out for a fee.
    Last edited by fourmares; Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

I just drove through the Horse Park, it's gorgeous. It was really easy to get to as well. It would be nice to be able to show on property. They said there was a wait list for pasture board, though and there would be no guarantee I'd have a spot when I moved -- did you have to wait Jenm? What is average for lesson prices from trainers there?

I just drove through the Horse Park, it's gorgeous. It was really easy to get to as well. It would be nice to be able to show on property. They said there was a wait list for pasture board, though and there would be no guarantee I'd have a spot when I moved -- did you have to wait Jenm? What is average for lesson prices from trainers there?
    I think I was on the wait list for about six months. The good thing is that not everyone on the wait list can move in when their name comes up, so sometimes they go through the wait list quickly.

The average lesson rate for resident trainers is around $100.00. A new trainer just came in and is teaching but is not interested in having a "barn" and her rate is $55.00. There may be packages though, so it's worth looking into.

If you do decide to bring your horse, an option would be to pasture board at Webb Ranch until a spot opened up at the Horsepark. The barn/paddock area is nicknamed "Shanty Town", and if you go look, you will understand why! It's only one exit down from the HP and is next to the freeway, so also easy to get to.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

What are round bales? What's green pasture? Welcome to California!

I was driving through Lompoc the other day (massive ew!!) and commented on how they had acres and acres for the cows, but their horse pens were tiny, and looked like they were assembled by children.

Good luck OP!

Quote Originally Posted by WideSquareAlter View Post
    Good luck! I'm moving to CA this July; specifically, Woodland which is just north of Sacramento. My horses are currently on night turnout, which I LOVE, so hoping to find somewhere that can accommodate.
    Out here in the sac area you shouldn't have a problem finding that. Pasture is much more common, especially in Woodland which is relatively undeveloped.

I know someone who was an assistant at Clermont for a couple months and was not impressed...PM me if you want more specific details.

Another reason that pasture turnout is generally not available in California is that we do not get rain from about mid April until about November. Because of that the grass does not stay green unless it is irrigated. Water is an issue in CA, and most places it is prohibitively expensive.

could look into boarding on pasture board at CTETA (The Horse Park At Woodside) and then work with one of the trainers there----they have Willow Tree, which is an excellent jumping barn. And it's huge, has a gallop track, cross-country fences, etc. I don't know what board is there these days, but it sounds like it might be the best option for you without you having to try to manage the East Bay.
    Keep in mind the pasture is fenced with barbed wire, it is a large mixed sex group, and trees are the only shelter. Some hay is fed,no supplements.

I really wish they had safe fencing, I would love to pasture board there, but not behind barbed wire abutting a 50+mph road

I live in San Mateo and board at canyon creek in half moon bay. My girl loves it there. I also was at Claremont previously and the major weather changes on top of the mountain were hard on my girl, but other horses did just fine. PM me if you want more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Keep in mind the pasture is fenced with barbed wire, it is a large mixed sex group, and trees are the only shelter. Some hay is fed,no supplements.

I really wish they had safe fencing, I would love to pasture board there, but not behind barbed wire abutting a 50+mph road
    This is what I tried to point out in an earlier post. Mixed herd pastures fenced w/barbed wire are an accident waiting to happen, especially when horses are coming and going out of the field constantly and new horses are being introduced.