The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joining USDF

Hi, as I stated in my other thread I have recently started taking competing in dressage more seriously. I've always schooled dressage movements as part of working and training my horses but now I want to compete in dressage. I will mainly be competing at breed specific rated shows and potentially some schooling shows. I am already a member of USEF and my breeds organization but do I also need to join USDF? What are the benefits? Do both horse, owner, and rider need to be members of USDF? I'm not sure if it matters or not but the owner of one of the horses is my mother, who does not compete, does she need to be a member too? Look forward to hearing the feedback!

Yes, yes, yes. If you're competing at USDF shows, you, the horse and the owner need to be members. It's like a $15 non-member fee if not, so you lose money very fast. Mom needs to be a member.

This is, of course, if you're competing in USDF shows.

Ok does it matter which level of membership each of us gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Ah thanks! However, I see that there are all different levels it would appear and award categories. I would imagine over the year we will end up doing 10-15 dressage tests. Would this be enough to make us competitive for some of the awards? I live in SC so I see that is Region 3 if that makes a difference. Sorry for all the questions and thank you for all the help!

Award criteria is in the USDF member guide. See if this link works. http://memberguide.epubxp.com/i/90702

Rules for the various award categories begin on page 18.

Rules for Regional Championships begin on page 49. The qualifying period for this year's Region 3 Championships ends on 9-16-2013. Region 3 Championships will be Oct. 11-13, at GIHP in Conyers GA.

It's not the number of tests that would make you competitive for awards (although there are a certain minimum number of tests you have to do to be eligible for awards), it is your median score that determines where you end up in the rankings.
    so aim for scores, not number of tests.