The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Another vote for the cobalt blue jar. On top of being pretty, they might have some advantage to protecting the contents due to the dark color. (?)
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

In this day and age of everyone "going green", be sure to let people know that your containers are recyclable! Depending on the services available in your area, of course.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the blue jars-1) they are different and 2) blue has the connotation of first place inthe US competitive horse world. Kind of ties in with Higher Standard in a subtle way. I think they would be recognizable as I can't think of any packaging for tack clearners with that color off of the top of my head.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love the blue jars!
    Last edited by SSEventing; Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Very excited to get a sample. I would also be willing to send some money to offset the shipping for it.

Mountain Rose Herbs also has some different jars (the link is for their glass jars). Not sure how the price point compares with the other ones. Both the amber and cobalt glass are supposed to help block UV rays (amber being slightly better in that respect). I wasn't crazy about their tins. Too hard to get the tops off with slippery hands.

Have only read 2 pages, so the conversation might have moved on from names -- but, FWIW, when you said "Ben" and "Buzz" I immediately thought of Ben and Jerry's. If the name works for ice cream, it should work for you.

So I vote for Ben 'n Buzz as the name. Then for the individual fragrances, you can follow the lead of Ben and Jerry's and use rhyming names (Chunky Monkey) or plays on words (Cherries Garcia). Only you can do it with other horse's names or rhyme the aromas names.

Sadly I am rhyming challenged, but I am sure there are very cute ways to maket this. The first one that comes to mind is "Sammy's Soap".

[I vote against "Higher Standards" as a name. It sounds snooty and sounds like you are diss'ing other soaps. No one will know it is your farm name when they see the soap in stores or on the Internet.]

Cute and catchy names sell. Easy for people to remember, and it personalizes the product.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Sample update: Ok, I have LOTS of samples ready to ship, and thanks to help from a very good friend, I have the packing inserts ready to go.

I am shipping the sample sizes, so that I could send it to everyone who has asked. I am asking for a few questions to be answered in relation to the soap when you have had a chance to try it out!

I will say that the packing and shipping is taking me longer than I expected, so this is really good practice for me. Our local post office is not a busy one, but the clerk is r e a l l y slow. She is new, and I've got to pick a time when it is quiet to go in and take her the packages and get them all sent.

Funny what trips you up on a venture like this one!

SSEventing -- I don't have a PM from you with an address to ship to -- send me that info so that I can include you in my first shipment!

Thanks so much to you all!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Oh, Lord Helpus, Sammy does need his own soap!!

My DH suggested "Saddle Magic" today, and I have to say I haven't considered that!

Libby

eeek I can't wait to get my sample!

(and btw I love the blue jars)

My tack is quivering in anticipation!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I appreciate y'all's patience! Shipping a pile of packages takes longer to pull together than I expected! After this time, I'm going to get set up with the post office to use the small business tools they have! I almost took this morning off just to go mail them all, but I'm in charge of the birthday cake at my office this morning, and well, missing that would put my life in danger!

hopefully I can spend a couple hours at out post office on Saturday and get it done!

So excited!

I finally got soap shipped today!

All my testers should have a PM from me today, confirming that the soap shipped today.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions -- the blue jars arrived today and I love them. But, I'm not sure whether I like the silver or the white lids best!

Libby

Got the PM. Can't wait to give it a try
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Yay!

reminds me to email you re: bridle. I will do that tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by SarahKing View Post
    In this day and age of everyone "going green", be sure to let people know that your containers are recyclable! Depending on the services available in your area, of course.
    They're definitely recyclable if you can somehow convince people to mail them back! Maybe some sort of an exchange program either through the tack stores or online?

I can't wait for the opportunity to purchase some of this stuff! Love the blue jars!

Thanks for encouraging me! I like the blue jars very much -- I was glad to see they were as pretty when they arrived as I had hoped.

I had wondered about having people return containers -- I am going to think about doing that, once I see how the containers hold up to use of a full container.

Since I have been making them in Gladware from the grocery store (that is what all the samples will be in), once you've reached the bottom of the container, the container is pretty much shot too. The blue ones are double walled, so I'm hoping they hold up a lot longer. And because of the darker color, perhaps scratches won't show as much as they would on the clear ones. Hmmmmm . . .

Yay!!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I am late to this thread and have not read every post. On marketing and the name -- you need a handle. What is it about your saddle soap that makes it better than the competitors? You need to get that differentiator across, preferably in the name or a tag line for the name. You also need to check if you need to patent your product and trademark your business name. These are important protections. You also need to purchase product liability insurance. Talk to your P&C agent about it. You absolutely don't want a situation where you sell the soap to someone and he/she complains that cleaning with it destroyed the leather on expensive brand name saddle. Remember, a claim does not have to be valid, but you have to defend yourself. I would get insurance. I would also survey the people you have sent samples to in as much depth as you can. I'd sure SurveyMonkey to do it since that will be the simplest way to compile the responses. It sounds like a nice product with the devil being in the details, of course!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Can't wait to receive the sample, sure to be my best birthday present

Thank you for all your efforts, Bensbud, hopefully we will all repay you in kind as lifelong customers!!

Bensmom, I got your pm and am eagerly awaiting my soap. I have a professional organizer coming over tomorrow to help me get my tackroom [and food pantry] in shape; I have so much old tack that I need to figure out what to keep and what to take to the local rescue. The job has been pending for years, but it overwhelms me. Hopefully this lady can give me good ideas on how to manage such a project.

So I will need saddle soap to recondition old, forgotten leather, as well as spiff up the tack I use everyday. Can't wait to start.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."