The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

If it's a gift package together with some jam....yeah, I'd order it online

But check out UPS, FedEx and some of the others as you may be able to get the shipping costs down. There are a lot of small business deals out there.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

You could always set your business up with a FB page and showcase pics, descriptions, and prices. People could message you with orders and you invoice through paypal.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

2 members found this post helpful.

Whenever I order a supply of soap from Lovely Bay (Foaling Around on FB), I usually have her fill up one of the usps flat rate packages with extras for gifts. I always have a nice variety of soaps on hand for guests to choose from or convenient token-type gifts....not to mention a stash of my own favorites for my use.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Yeah I'd pay that. We all know that small stuff like that, unless it's a bulk order, shipping costs are a big percentage of the "cost."

I ordered an endangered can of Walsh's Blue Ribbon oil two years ago, the final total was $25 and I think the can was only $9.95 or $12.95. I told myself I was paying $25 for a really nice oil (and boy is it...) so I wouldn't gag on the shipping cost.

Someone tell me more about this Etsy?? What is it? I have a friend who just started a custom saddle pad biz and she's on eBay, but would Etsy be a good place for her? I dunno. Since I'm horsey and don't know Etsy, would it be a good place for saddle soap? I think a one or two page Web site, only accepting Paypal, would be a better idea and still cheap right? I could be wrong... *clueless shrug*
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I would certainly try some. I'm always on the look out for the next great cleaning product....and seem to go through a lot. (so if you want another tester )

But online and easy to order would be high on my list. Most cleaning products I tend to buy on impulse......it is in the tack store, smells good etc. Or a friend

recommends it. I just picked up some really nice jasmine smelling conditioning soap at Dover because it smelled nice and my friend said it was good. Most
    marketing is really word of mouth....and in the horse world, that word can travel far

and fast! Facebook as well as a web site may be all the marketing you need for a while!

Good luck. I like a global name like Higher Standards Custom Leather Soap...and then you can use the "cute" names for each "flavor". Good luck!!!
    I got the Lavender and love how my tack room smells... That alone has sent several people off to Dover for same.....so,OP keep us posted on you launch..

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

People love free or very cheap shipping, though. Since the product is handmade and probably small, if I were doing the pricing, I'd raise it enough to cover all but (say) $2 or so shipping and handling. People are going to expect a handmade product to be a bit pricier than mass produced.

SmartPak got so big with its fixed shipping costs compared to Dover--or so I believe--once they branched out from just supplement packs.

Amazon has limits on shipping costs through them. I know a lot of ebay people set unrealistically low prices and make their money on shipping & handling. Honestly, so do a lot of Amazon used book sellers, even with a $3 or 4 dollar shipping limit. Otherwise how could they sell books for a penny?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Yeah I'd pay that. We all know that small stuff like that, unless it's a bulk order, shipping costs are a big percentage of the "cost."

I ordered an endangered can of Walsh's Blue Ribbon oil two years ago, the final total was $25 and I think the can was only $9.95 or $12.95. I told myself I was paying $25 for a really nice oil (and boy is it...) so I wouldn't gag on the shipping cost.

Someone tell me more about this Etsy?? What is it? I have a friend who just started a custom saddle pad biz and she's on eBay, but would Etsy be a good place for her? I dunno. Since I'm horsey and don't know Etsy, would it be a good place for saddle soap? I think a one or two page Web site, only accepting Paypal, would be a better idea and still cheap right? I could be wrong... *clueless shrug*
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Bensmom is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Ooooh, good point, Viney! Dover's shipping charges are exactly what drove me elsewhere.

So much good info from you guys! Now to compile it all and make one more batch of sample size soaps . . . .
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Ooooh, good point, Viney! Dover's shipping charges are exactly what drove me elsewhere.

So much good info from you guys! Now to compile it all and make one more batch of sample size soaps . . . .

Oooo....a sample set would sell well. I'd like being able to buy a set with different "flavors" and it would make a nice gift as well.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Oooo....a sample set would sell well. I'd like being able to buy a set with different "flavors" and it would make a nice gift as well.
    A great gift. I love the "samplers".
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Original Poster

Well, darn. I hadn't even thought about making a sampler set available to sell -- hmmmmmm. No reason I couldn't, though!

Time to run the DH out of the kitchen . . . hopefully my hearing will wrap up early tomorrow and I'll end up with an extra hour or so to grab some shipping supplies! Grumble, grumble, grumble, day job, grumble. But, of course, the day job *does* buy the pony pellets!

Thanks so much guys!

1 members found this post helpful.

Instead of using Etsy (even though I suggested it!), a FB page and a WePay.com account would work as well. WePay.com is an alternative to PayPal.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Oh yeah, when I'm on nights, I totally regret the real job sometimes because I stay on the same schedule on my weekends... Imagine all your off days starting at 2pm (or else you feel like a zombie). Suuuuuuuucks.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Original Poster

Just an update for those of you who have so generously offered to test soap for me -- I had such a great response, I ended up needing to make some additional sample sizes! So, I am hoping to finish that and be able to ship by the first of next week.

Thank you all so much -- at this point, soap is going to arrive in disposable, grocery store plastic containers, as I've searched and searched and I think I've found something I want to use that will be better, but I have to order it in first.

Also, another question for you all -- would you prefer your soap to come with a sponge or not? If it was a dollar more, say -- would you spend it to get a fresh sponge with every container? Any feedback on type of container?

Thanks!

Libby

I already gave my opinion on the phone, but here it is again:

I love love having a sponge in the shape of a container that stays IN the container.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post

Also, another question for you all -- would you prefer your soap to come with a sponge or not? If it was a dollar more, say -- would you spend it to get a fresh sponge with every container? Any feedback on type of container?

Thanks!

Libby
    Yes, a fresh sponge in the container would be great. . .I bought some saddle soap recently that had one in it and while I didn't think that the soap was any better than what I had used before I would buy it again because of that (that is, until I heard about yours. . .).

I also really like the idea of being able to order a sample pack.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    I already gave my opinion on the phone, but here it is again:

I love love having a sponge in the shape of a container that stays IN the container.
    Agree 100%

ETA: I also love the idea of the sample pack. If I love this soap, I fully plan on ordering several to give as gifts to instructors, friends, etc.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I'm ambivalent on the sponge as I use washcloths 99% of the time. But I'd LOVE a container that could be reused or recycled after it was empty.

Original Poster

One of the biggest problems with the containers is that they get grungy. I'm hoping to find a container that I can try to start out with that will hold up well to the lid being taken on and off and won't be affected by being around water -- in the past, labels that I've made have run because the ink jet ink (obviously printed at home) gets wet.

The container will end up being one of the more expensive components and while I want it to hold up, I don't want it to price people out of the product, as many folks won't reuse it.

I know this sounds like a crazy question, but if you wanted a sponge, would it matter to you what kind? I've been looking at options and a regular, natural color, round sponge seems to be the best option, but I've always been attracted to the tack soap that has the sea sponge included. Not enough to spend that much more for it, though, and maybe that is the deal breaker -- if the price would put you off, no reason to do it. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks for even more feedback!

This. I would love to try some and oooh what a nice gift idea!

Im sure I can provide a nice home for this stuff. For science, of course.