The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Most of my do's and don't's have been posted but these are my biggest pet peeves.
    Don't's:
    Text and ride.
    Go in the ring, walk for a minute, canter your horse for 35 minutes, walk for 1 minute, get off and walk out. (Have a girl who does this constantly to her horses (she's had three in about a year...)and the last one colic'd very badly.)
    Do's:
    Pass left to left.
    If you're walking, walk on the inside of the track.

As for the grooming thing, I have to have my horse as clean as I can. I feel like it's a nice pre-ride routine and I like making her look presentable in the ring. Plus she's a grey so it's extra fun trying to make her look good.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHorses View Post
    I would like to add that some barn staff board their horse where they work - DO treat them as fellow boarders when they're not working (as in DON'T ask them anything you wouldn't ask any other boarder, or give them instructions, or ask them to do something, or how your horse is doing, etc - that is totally unfair to them).
    THIS. I work in a barn in a management/training capacity so anytime I am working, I am available for clients to express concerns or questions regarding their horses, the farm, etc. While I may not have time for idle chit-chat with clients (which some unfortunately do not understand) I am ALWAYS willing to discuss anything related to their horses or address any wellness concerns they may have. However, on my time off, if I am around the barn, it is to ride my own horses and spend some social time with barn friends. Most of the clients are very respectful of this, and I don't mind having a quick word about a horse, doing someone a favor or answering a brief question, but I don't want to have extended work-related discussions or spend an extended time looking over a boarded horse. There are plenty of other staff around who can take care of that, and bring me up to speed before I return to work. Luckily most of our clients understand this, but I have been places before where the management and trainers rarely were able to enjoy their horses on their time off because they were bombarded. Allow them their leisure time, too!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by phlora View Post
    If you're walking, walk on the inside of the track.
    I Hate this and think it's one of the most dangerous things you can do. Why on earth would the slower, less manueverable horse be on the inside track? This sandwwiches them between the people trotting/cantering and people jumping. STUPID.

And yes, I know it's in the pony club manual...but they go this one wrong.

A ring should run with people jumping to the inside and then moving out the speed slows (cantering, then trotting and finally walking). And people should ONLY walk abreast if they are the only ones in the ring.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

4 members found this post helpful.

My trainers big pet peeves are:
    1) DO NOT leave manure or hoof picked mud/gunk in the cross ties or wash stall
    2) Pick up your stuff, do NOT leave it for the barn workers
    3) Don't whine in a lesson unless you want more time without stirrups... trust me, you don't

Those are the only things I can recall her getting absolutely fussy about. My pet peeve is people not taking the time to get the mud off their horse. If you have time to ride you have time to groom and take care of your horse, but that is how I was raised. I know some people don't care either way.

If you get it dirty, clean it.
    If you break it, fix it or replace it.
    If you're supposed to ask, then ask, even if you know the answer. It will help to remind others that they should.
    If you bring it to the barn, you're responsible for keeping it safe and keeping others safe from it. That includes children, dogs, electronics, etc.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

• Be polite and friendly to all, clients, other trainers, and barn workers.
      • Not everyone is going to be your BFF, but that doesn't mean that the others should be treated as if you're a Shark and they're a Jet. Or even like they belong to the wrong sorority.
      • Don't assume that someone who doesn't happen to share your native language is stupid. So you taught a kid to read today or negotiated a contract. Try preparing lunches for twenty horses and feeding them while tacking and untacking horses, moving horses in and out of turnouts, and finding the thing that no one else can find.

• Clean up after your horse, dog, or anything you take to the barn. Make sure that whatever it is doesn't annoy others.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Barns should make it clear what the rules of the ring are and enforce them
    And naturally the riders should all follow the rules of the ring

I once boarded at a place that was mainly H/J but had some western trail riders. I have no issue with any one who loves and takes care of their horse no matter what style they ride. I DO have issue with riders who are not safe. One man bought a horse so he could ride with his girlfriend. His girlfriend just taught him enough about riding so he could go on the trails but nothing about how to ride around other riders.

One day I was doing a more advanced ride with my horse (circling, laterals) so I was using the whole ring space (not just the rail) and calling where I was going, looking out for others, etc.

I was working on a circle and this guy just stops right in front of my path and on the rail blocking every one else and just sits there. So I let him know (politely), that if he needs to stop he should probably go in the middle of the ring. Then, his gf gets on his horse and he's holding hers and standing on the quarter line. So, again, I ask if he's just going to stand with the horse that he please move to the center so he is out of the way and the riders can use the quarterline to work their horses.

He FLIPPED on me. Yelling and screaming that he rents here too and I can't have the WHOLE arena. He accused me of being rude for calling "inside" or "outside" when passing and laid into me like I've never been talked to before. He just kept yelling "you don't get the WHOLE ARENA" but apparently it's okay for him to just park wherever he wants to and make everyone else move around him.

I calmly explained that these are the rules of riding in a ring with other horses, but the more calm I was, the more he got agitated. When I finished my ride and got off, he came at me again, very aggressively. After we had another exchange, which by now the whole barn has heard him, the barn manager approaches me and asks about the situation. She is obviously on my side as I was doing nothing wrong and his behavior was out of line. But now I come to find out he has done this before. He's even gone as far as to try to threaten young girls to not ride because he needs the ring to do his flag riding and I'm not the first person he's been verbally abusive to.

I called the BO and let her know this guy was dangerous and was an accident waiting to happen in the ring and I wanted myself and my horse to not be a part of it when it went down. I moved my horse shortly after that.

So, in short:
    BE SAFE
    and don't be a rude jerk

Yikes, she says, after reading the post above. I thought politeness went without saying and "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do To You" did as well, but looks like that's not as common as it once was.

One of the things that makes me crazy is when people don't clean up after themselves. In the wash stall, in the grooming areas, tack room, or wherever. I'm not sure if people don't see the mess they leave, or if they assume others or the grooms will clean up. If you make the mess, you clean it. And you clean it well. I stress this to my kids, too. It's not my job, and it's never the grooms' job to clean up after you, it's yours. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the grooms work hard enough and creating extra work for them is the height of rudeness.
    Last edited by abv1269; Mar. 26, 2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling whoopsie
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    My theory on this? If I have to use some of yours because I ran out, I will replace yours with a full, new one, ASAP. You end up with more than you started with...and it usually means people are happy to lend so of whatever it was.
    Ask me and I'll give you anything, But taking it out of my trunk when I'm not there, using half and never mentioning it, replacing it or offering to pay for it is just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by dbtoo View Post
    Ask me and I'll give you anything, But taking it out of my trunk when I'm not there, using half and never mentioning it, replacing it or offering to pay for it is just not right.
    Well, we might not get along then. If someone is not there and I am completely out of something with no other option? Yep...I might borrow without asking first. But the next time I see them, I will tell them and I will do my darndest to have a brand new of whatever to them the next day or within a few short days, whether I see them or not.

If it's something stupid, like fly spray or shampoo? I won't borrow. I only do this with first aid supplies or the like that I might not have realized I ran out of that absolutely cannot wait a day.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"