The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Pedigree Gurus...

I know you guys get these a lot so thanks in advance.

I am looking at two TB's for jumping prospects (A/O jumper level) and really like both of these horses. Any thoughts good or bad would be really helpful.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/weatherbee

http://www.pedigreequery.com/blues+breeze

Thanks!

Actually, they both have very nice sport horse pedigrees. I was impressed by the first one, until I saw the second one, which might be even better.

That said, horses do not read their pedigrees; you are buying an individual. Since both have a number of good sport horse influences, go with whichever one is the better prospect.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

1 members found this post helpful.

I prefer the first pedigree to the second but I would not use pedigree to rule out prospects, it is just an interesting detail maybe more imprtant if they might be breeders for sport foals. PatO

Thanks for the thoughts! I should clarify that this is just more for my curiosity than anything. I can't try the horses out for a little bit due to weather and commitments so I thought I would kill some time looking at their pedigrees. It's a lot to take in and thought I should just ask for more of an *expert* opinion. I also don't know much about the newer lines. So I really am just looking for some fun extra information.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I also prefer the first pedigree. While the second has far more doubles and traces back to a half sister of Clever Trick, some of the doubled lines would give me pause. I'm also convinced that Clever Trick is not a very good line for sport horses. (Made an error. It's not Clever Trick that I don't like; it's Phone Trick. Clever Trick is grandsire of two very nice event horses, including Leslie Law's current Advanced ride, Zenith ISF and another 3* horse. I get the Tricks confused sometimes. )

The first pedigree is exemplary until one gets to the tail female which doesn't do a lot for me. However the mares in the first three generations seem to have been tough racing mares with far more than the usual number of starts these days. Not so much true for Weatherbee's siblings, but today is a very different time in racing.

Gone West has three different sons who have produced top ten event horses up to the 2* level.

I will say that the overall quality from top to bottom in the second horse (if judged by the stud fees and mares) is probably higher.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Isn't Changeintheweather (sire of 1st horse) reputed to have a pretty nasty disposition?
    Of course that's not always heritable, and if Weatherbee's a gelding, that could make all of the difference.

Viney-just out of curiosity, why don't you care for Phone Trick?

I had in my notes that he supposedly associated with good minded offspring.

Is it soundness?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    Viney-just out of curiosity, why don't you care for Phone Trick?

I had in my notes that he supposedly associated with good minded offspring.

Is it soundness?
    Nope. He just doesn't have a sport horse produce record at all at the FEI level. And he was a popular sire. By now one would have expected at least one 1* horse from him.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I think the first horse has more overall "depth" of sporthorse-ness to it. Changeintheweather is a good looking horse, Gone West out of a PC mare is Nice. Private Account (Damascus) is good on the bottom side, too, though as Viney said the tail-female line is a little weak...but that's not a dealbreaker by any means.

However, the second one intrigues me, too. I am an admitted AP Indy addict, have seen many of them (from F1 to F2/F3 of various sons at stud) that I adore (brains/confo/movement, can't say as to jump though). Flatter isn't one of my favorite AP Indy sons, but it depends on the individual.

I have 2 AP Indy great-grandsons right now; one of them, by Silver Train, is *very* Indy-like, perhaps moreso than his sire, and is one of the nicest horses I've ever sat on. So AP Indy in a pedigree always makes me want to have a look.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~