The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I seem to remember a good thread about this on the Endurance board awhile back--at least I think it was there. Might want to search it. The topic has definitely been up before.
    I looked up the bio of the article's author, she once competed in endurance so I would have thought she would have known better.... seems there is another agenda on the subsurface

1 members found this post helpful.

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Henry rode many a horse with amour.
    I love your typo!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

7 members found this post helpful.

"Published in the Journal of Veterinary Behaviour, the study assessed 152 horses and their adult riders from stables across Devon and Cornwall."

Seems the info was pulled from one pretty small study.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    As always, who funded the study?

Weight Watchers?????

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cholmberg View Post
    Me too. . . .so if you have a 900lb arab, only small children could ride it? My daughter is 9 years old and 5'1" and weighs 100lbs, and I'd have to tell her she was too big/fat to ride a 900 lb pony or small horse? ? I myself am 6'1" . . . and that would mean I could ride only a draft or large draft cross. I thought the rule of thumb was 20%. Not 10%
    This - so at 5`1 and 115lbs I was over weight on my 900lb 14.2hh arab? God me in my 17lb saddle must have killed his back

So wait, they have overweight people in Britain too?

8 members found this post helpful.

I have a hot athletic little mare that is around 1000 pounds or so. I don't know many people under 100 pounds who could ride her Even at the lowest end of my healthy weight I would be 17 pounds overweight. At 100 pounds my BMI would be 16.1 The mare is almost 16 hands so I don't think I'm too tall for her.

Maybe the study was funded by breeders of draft horses ?

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I call BS. Yes some riders need larger horses, but abuse? Get over it. I guess nobody over 120lb should ride.
    Well guess I am too fat to ride!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    "Published in the Journal of Veterinary Behaviour, the study assessed 152 horses and their adult riders from stables across Devon and Cornwall."

Seems the info was pulled from one pretty small study.
    Note that this study only made a graph out of how many riders wieghed 10% 15% etc. The information stating that 10% is the best weight came from some other study that isn't referenced except vaguely.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

LOL! These articles. So cowboys were less than 100 pounds back in the day? So were cavalry men? I mean really -how big is/was your average quarter horse, Indian pony, or paint! My draft cross is at least 1200 and you can only ride him if you're 120lbs?

Sigh.
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I howled with laughter reading this this morning.

Tip is a 15.2 1/2 Irish Sport Horse with plenty of bone, ribs well sprung, kindly described as "stoutly built." I am 5'7", also plenty of bone, built like a linebacker. Under these guidelines, not only am I too fat for my horse (13% of his weight,) but so is my sister- who is 5'9" and weighs maybe 110 soaking wet with boots on and carrying all of her tack.

However has he survived this long being crushed by us both?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Weight Watchers?????

Good one, jetsmom!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Well, it does say the 10-15% "ideal" is not including tack. Would this mean they are recommending more "15-20%" ?

10% is still insane though!

It's a shame they had to use these percentages, as it makes what can be more of an issue these days, a joke!

Hmmmm....on the subsurface, could this be a wiggle of anti-somethinganothers trying to start a 'dialogue' about how cruel it is to ride?

Yes, my mind runs like this all day long....

By these standards, I shouldn't ever try to ride again. Even with my treeless saddle which weighs zilch. I would think if the horse has plenty sturdy legs and skillet hooves with matching body, and the rider is balanced and doesn't ride like a sack of 'taters, get out there and head down the trail! Also, the genetic background of the horse plus the breed in general. I don't think much of this study. See my first paragraph on this post.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Just because an opinion/result of a study is annoying or doesn't fit in with what you want, doesn't mean it isn't potentially valid.

MAYBE they are RIGHT. Maybe 10% is the IDEAL. Sure, most of us can't accommodate that ideal, but maybe that is why alternative therapies, joint injections and all that is in the rise.

I do think that our modern horse isn't as fit as when they were actually used, and that does likely decrease their weight carrying ability.

It is also possible that current breeding paradigms don't consider weight carrying ability in their ideals. Maybe these refined TBs or sproingy warmbloods aren't ideal for riding?

Or maybe I just feel like arguing the other side to be difficult...
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    ...Henry rode many a horse with amour...
    Was that legal back then?

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    ...As always, who funded the study?...
    PETA? One of the draft associations?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Just because an opinion/result of a study is annoying or doesn't fit in with what you want, doesn't mean it isn't potentially valid.

MAYBE they are RIGHT. Maybe 10% is the IDEAL. Sure, most of us can't accommodate that ideal, but maybe that is why alternative therapies, joint injections and all that is in the rise.

I do think that our modern horse isn't as fit as when they were actually used, and that does likely decrease their weight carrying ability.

It is also possible that current breeding paradigms don't consider weight carrying ability in their ideals. Maybe these refined TBs or sproingy warmbloods aren't ideal for riding?

I'll argue with you except I think you have a good point. I have been gobsmacked for a good long while about all the joint injections and supps which go into our horses. Well, not mine but in ones I read about. Mine stand around and hold the pasture down, but I digress.

But, I remember, 'back in the day', horses could go all day with us kids, up and down hills, over hill and dale, into town on the asphalt, racing on caliche roads, jumping over and into creeks with unknown bottoms...no lamenesses or crazy acting horses. I didn't have a shod horse till I was in my late teens and I did it because all my friends horses had shod hooves, kind of a fad.

Now, it seems a lot of breeds are falling apart. ??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Well guess I am too fat to ride!
    I guess I have been to fat to ride for years then too. Will have to cancel the show season.

I don't think our breeds have so descended into decrepitude that only emaciated models can ride them.

While it may be true that the commercialization of the industry has resulted in over supplemented horses - that is a commentary on consumerism more so than equine soundness.

Thank God for advances in veterinary medicine that resulted in treatments for conditions that used to lead to retirement or a bullet. Who is to say that our horses, "back in the day" were truly sound and pain free? Or do we just look back with nostalgia to a time that never really existed in the first place? When I was a kid there were plenty of horses that weren't sound. Those horses got shipped off. And they didn't end up in some retirement facility with plenty of green grass.

I have a veterinary textbook from the 1800's that shows that the tiny, thin often malnourished people of yesteryear with their big strong horses were still dealing with the same unsoundnesses we are seeing today.

Only back then the horse was sent to the knacker if he could not be salvaged with care that was standard in that time period.

I'm not convinced that only a tiny (no pun intended) segment of the population can be the only ones who can ethically ride horses - and the rest of the population is too fat.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

5 members found this post helpful.