The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brown Boots in the hunter ring?

Oh I'm so temped to get brown boots.

Yay or nay?
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

Well, I say yay, because I'm saving up for these:
    http://www.horseloverz.com/Tall-Boot...ding-Boot.html

I also say yay. I've got a gorgeous pair of brown Der Daus that, unfortunately, are too short for me. I've been debating whether to sell them or find a cobbler to put tops on them for me, and I'm leaning towards getting the cuffs on and showing in them. My friend's got the same pair and I drool over her pictures.

ETA after reading some other posts: I have brown gloves and a brown helmet to go with them. Also, I agree with the "as a second pair" part - I do have a black pair that are my primary show boots. I got these for schooling at home and schooling shows (once I get them cuffed).
    Last edited by SolarFlare; Mar. 24, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

I say nay only as my preference. I think as long as people wear is comfortable, clean and respectful...who cares? Don't know anything about brown boots, except for the brown tops on black boots in the field , so I can't speak if it's fashion or tradition.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I say nay only as my preference. I think as long as people wear is comfortable, clean and respectful...who cares? Don't know anything about brown boots, except for the brown tops on black boots in the field , so I can't speak if it's fashion or tradition.
    It is fashion.
    In the 60's and early 70's brown boots were in.
    And in the 60's some women showed in jods and jod boots.
    Trends run in cycles.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Default I'll weigh in.

Brown field boots are perfectly appropriate and here's why.

In the hunt field, on "informal days" you may hunt in "ratcatcher", which is actually quite similar to what "regular" show attire is. Some type of plaid jacket, (ok, we're wearing tweed, since it's colder) a bit more "color" if you will, than formal days. Many wear brown field boots. Formal days in the hunt, are more like the EQ classes, navy, black jackets, white stock ties and black DRESS boots (which I know none of you will probably ever buy)

If you wear brown boots, please wear brown gloves, not black.

I've shown at a "A" show on my hunt horse, in my informal attire, complete with a flat bridle, patterned stock tie, tweed coat and brown boots.

While we did not place (a draft cross, however nice, is not going to place on the flat at an "A" show, he got a ribbon o/f) the judge stopped me later and complimented me on both my horse and my turnout, right down to his roached mane. Said there were two horses in the class he could picture out in the hunt field.

The other one was 2nd. It was a very nice TB and the lady who rides it hunted.

4 members found this post helpful.

I have a pair that I have shown in at schooling shows, and usually use for schooling.

However, I would not buy just a brown pair as my primary pair of boots, because while it's the traditional color for field boots, it's also less formal. If you're looking at getting them as a second pair of boots, go for it!

DO IT! Give in to the temptation, you won't regret it. I love my own brown boots! Here's a picture of them in action. I did put one coat of black polish on them when I first got them, to tone down the orange a little, but have polished them with plain brown polish since, and am very happy with the colour they are. Here's a slightly better picture of them to show the colour again. I've worn mine to horse shows, field hunter play days, clinics (including with GM!), and have had nothing but compliments. If anyone didn't like them, they were polite enough to keep it to themselves.

(Glancing at those pictures again makes me realize that while I can recommend the boots, I can't say many nice things about the breeches I'm wearing with the pink polo. I truly don't have a tube-shaped torso in reality!)
    Last edited by Small Change; Mar. 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    DO IT! Give in to the temptation, you won't regret it. I love my own brown boots! Here's a picture of them in action. I did put one coat of black polish on them when I first got them, to tone down the orange a little, but have polished them with plain brown polish since, and am very happy with the colour they are. Here's a slightly better picture of them to show the colour again. I've worn mine to horse shows, field hunter play days, clinics (including with GM!), and have had nothing but compliments. If anyone didn't like them, they were polite enough to keep it to themselves.

Wow. Those boots look absolutely fantastic!

I'm kicking myself now though... As a few months ago I bought myself a black CO. So Im thinking it wouldn't look right as a 'showing' boot.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

1 members found this post helpful.

Would a weekend at an A show be comparable to an "informal day"?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Brown field boots are perfectly appropriate and here's why.

In the hunt field, on "informal days" you may hunt in "ratcatcher", which is actually quite similar to what "regular" show attire is. Some type of plaid jacket, (ok, we're wearing tweed, since it's colder) a bit more "color" if you will, than formal days. Many wear brown field boots. Formal days in the hunt, are more like the EQ classes, navy, black jackets, white stock ties and black DRESS boots (which I know none of you will probably ever buy)

If you wear brown boots, please wear brown gloves, not black.

I've shown at a "A" show on my hunt horse, in my informal attire, complete with a flat bridle, patterned stock tie, tweed coat and brown boots.

While we did not place (a draft cross, however nice, is not going to place on the flat at an "A" show, he got a ribbon o/f) the judge stopped me later and complimented me on both my horse and my turnout, right down to his roached mane. Said there were two horses in the class he could picture out in the hunt field.

The other one was 2nd. It was a very nice TB and the lady who rides it hunted.

Yes! I LOVE brown boots, and have a pair that need to be stretched a smidgen, and I cannot wait to wear them!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I have a pair of brown field boots that I love showing in, always with brown gloves of course. I've paired them with tan and rust breeches and navy, dark grey and brown coats. I love the way they look an always get a ton of compliments on them.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Would a weekend at an A show be comparable to an "informal day"?
    If it's not a weekend, then yes. At least that's my extrapolation from Field Hunting Worlds.

Yes, go brown. I just got a brown velvet Charles Owen thing for $20. So jacked up about it!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Where do the experts stand on brown dress boots? I just saw some in the Smartpak catalog and I am definitely against them, as back in "the day" field boots were brown, dress boots black. I'm in my early 30's so I guess it wasn't that long ago. It just looked odd to me to see brown dress boots
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Where do the experts stand on brown dress boots? I just saw some in the Smartpak catalog and I am definitely against them, as back in "the day" field boots were brown, dress boots black. I'm in my early 30's so I guess it wasn't that long ago. It just looked odd to me to see brown dress boots
    I don't remember field boots being brown? I do remember when dress boots were the formal attire (I'm slightly older than you).
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I don't remember field boots being brown? I do remember when dress boots were the formal attire (I'm slightly older than you).
    Sorry, not in the show ring, in the hunt field. I think the black field boots started showing up in the show ring in the late 70's? Someone not in jodphur boots at the time needs to weigh in on when balck field boots came into popularity. IIRC, it was because you could get a better fit from off the rack than with dress boots.

OP, didn't mean to hijack, I had literally just flipped through the catalog and saw the brown dress boots.

I love brown boots BTW, but I also still fancy rust breeches, esp now that my thighs are no longer twigs!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    If it's not a weekend, then yes. At least that's my extrapolation from Field Hunting Worlds.

Yes, go brown. I just got a brown velvet Charles Owen thing for $20. So jacked up about it!
    $20 brown charles own thing? do tell haha

Field boots, being informal, were either brown or cordovan (LOVED my cordovans, that Russ Walther, Jr., bought me for riding a few of his youngsters. Thank you, Russ!

Dress boots were black.

Black field boots came into being when people realized how much easier field boots were to get on and off, but PERISH THE THOUGHT of wearing BROWN boots.

Go for the brown - but as dress boots?????? Not so much, in my opinion (which doesn't count for much of anything).
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    I think the black field boots started showing up in the show ring in the late 70's? Someone not in jodphur boots at the time needs to weigh in on when balck field boots came into popularity.
    I guess that's me, although I was doing horse trials and not horse shows then. Everyone I knew wore stock black dress boots until people started getting custom black field boots by Vogel and Dehner during the mid 70s. I was in high school, and I remember thinking how gorgeous they were. My parents made me wait for my Dehners until I graduated from college (1978). I still wear them!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Field boots were always brown until sometime in the early 80's. There was no such thing as a black field boot anywhere. Until someone decided to do it. Field boots give a neater ankle since all the boots pulled on - now with zippers you could have a dress boot with a more fitted ankle. Black is a more formal color of boot. We showed in them. People had two pairs of boots if they needed formal attire.

I'm older than all of you or have a been around longer, my first pair of custom field boots were brown, Dehner's measured by Beval Walter himself, in 1973.

3 members found this post helpful.