The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best hoof supplement for the $

I am giving several horses a daily hoof supplement. There are so many out there on the market. The one I'm currently giving is fairly expensive (my thinking being you get what you pay for). I'd like to spend less $ if possible, but I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Just wondering what others use and if people have noticed any big differences between the more visible brands and the less visible brands?

I started giving mine just a good multi vite, amino acids (both Horsetech) and biotin tabs (human, they are cheap and last a long time) and her hooves are now great. I probably spend about $30 a month on average for everything.

I tried every hoof supplement out there when my horse had bad feet.

In the end, I moved him to a drier environment, made sure his diet was balanced and added MSM (mostly for the anti-inflammatory properties). He has actually been barefoot now for more than two years and his feet look great. This was after a time when he had a lot of trouble holding a shoe and we were using epoxy it seemed to hold it all together.

I have not fed a traditional hoof supplement at all during this time.

I was spending $$$ on supplements and never saw much of a difference. In the case of my horse I think environment is probably the biggest factor and I think that MSM also helped.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I had a horse with terrible feet and Farrier's Formula really did make a HUGE difference. I have also used the Winning Touch EZ Hoof supplement from Blue Seal with success, though not as dramatic as with FF.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

And I used NuHoof Maximizer with outstanding success. It's actually the only supplement that I have seen make a difference.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Good/plentiful balanced nutrition = solid hoofs.
    Nothing else comes close.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

2 members found this post helpful.

There are actually decent peer reviewed studies with large sample sizes with regard to supplements for hooves. I found that TSC & Farrier's Formula both had the same nutrients in close to the same amts & ratios as used in the studies. TSC version was way cheaper.

It's on the expensive side, but I've had great success with Platinum Performance's Hoof Support Formula.. helped my TB move up a size in shoes, and he rarely pulls one, even with the horrible mud we've had this winter.. and he can go up to 8 weeks between shoeings.

McCauley's BioTime. Love the stuff. Helps grow mane and tail too. Really helps my easy keeper who doesn't get anywhere near the amount of feed required to meet the amount of vitamins and minerals requirements listed on a bag of feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    Good/plentiful balanced nutrition = solid hoofs.
    Nothing else comes close.
    This, along with movement/turnout. Standing around in a stall for 12 hours a day does nothing to promote healthy hoof growth.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Try flax seed? Shiny coats and healthier hooves are just some of the benefits. A big bag of whole flax will last quite a while and it's not that expensive.
    Kerri

I've had great luck with SmartSox. Had my mare on it for a month & my farrier was raving. Said he'd never seen her grow so much hoof in a single shoeing.

Knox Gelatin. $8 for a 32 day supply.

Quote Originally Posted by costco_muffins View Post
    Knox Gelatin. $8 for a 32 day supply.
    I remember hearing that you are supposed to eat Jello to grow out your nails, this sounds similar. Could you elaborate a little more? I am interested in how much you feed, in what, etc... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    This, along with movement/turnout. Standing around in a stall for 12 hours a day does nothing to promote healthy hoof growth.

My horses are always out at least 12 hours per day on a generous pasture. They have large stalls with generous runs when they are in. They don't receive much by way of prepared feeds (only enough to get the supplements down and keep them happy about coming in at night). I believe their nutritional/exercise needs are being met. I think for one of my horses, it's a genetic thing. His feet are always breaking up along the nail line. I do notice a difference when he is on a supplement, probably because they are growing out faster. Another horse I have came to me (a giveaway) with a beautiful, shiny coat, but dry, cracked hooves with long toes and underrun heels. I'm trying to get his hooves looking better and am feeding him a good supplement to try to get them growing out faster.

1 members found this post helpful.

Figure out what the diet is missing/needs more of, and find a supplement or feed that fills in those gaps. I love FeedXl for that since it has almost every supplement ever known, lol.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

My trainer had me put my 4 year old on Biotin, I bought a locally-produced version, but I know that some of the big companies put out a nearly identical product.

Surprised by how quickly I saw improvement in her hooves...my older horses' hooves are all great, on similar diets, but the 4 year old had some issues while she was growing. The Biotin seems to have toughened up the tissue a little, the new growth is stronger.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

How is the footing in the pasture? Could that be part of the problem? Have you tried a topical like keratex to strengthen the hoof around the nail holes?

Knox comes in a box with 32 little packets inside. A box is about $8 and we give one packet per day. Buy it at the grocery store. SUPER easy and seems to make a difference. My horse lives in a fairly wet environment (PNW and flood zone and out on pasture and not stalled) and while he had decent feet to start, since starting Knox he has had good growth and has kept his shoes on. The farrier could tell a difference in amount of growth when he was off it for a while as well.

As a side bonus, it seems to help with joint stiffness as well!

Uckele's copper and zinc supplements. Cheap and very effective.

Otherwise, there is no substitute for good nutrition, turnout and hoof care.

1 members found this post helpful.