The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog nausea?

My Chessie, with the sensitive stomach and food allergies has been doing much better since her major illness in December. She's been given a clean bill of health, blood-work wise, and is no longer having noticeable GI issues.

The thing is, ever since that illness in December, I've noticed quite a bit more really audible swallowing. It reminds me of when I'm sick to my stomach and feel like I'm swallowing hard to fight nausea. I recall the vet tech saying that excessive licking of lips and swallowing can be a sign of nausea.

Does this sound like anything to anyone? In the past, the girl has seemed to get an upset stomach if she went too long between meals and would throw up some bile on occasion. I'm wondering if maybe she's got some kind of acidity that something like a Pepcid might help.

She's on Acana Six Fish, with a FortiFlora packet every morning. I divide her evening meals into two so that she doesn't go more than 10-12 hours between meals. I started adding some green beans to her evening meals as some extra fiber.

So...any ideas? Vet visit?

Thanks!

Maybe you can bring it up to the vet next time you are there. A trial run of cerenia may help distinguish if its actual nausea or not. Metoclopramide or famotadine (pepcid) may also help too.

Does she regurgitate at all? Difficulty swallowing while eating? Excessive swallowing can sometimes be a sign of megaesophagus/myasthenia gravis but usually there are a lot of other symptoms thatgo with it. Hopefully just a bilius reaction. My poodle does it too...pukes bile in the morning. Ick.

Thanks Squish - No regurgitating or difficulty swallowing. I meant to say that in the past couple of weeks she's also had a couple of episodes of some kind of gagging/hacking, like a ticklish throat thing. Which also made me think some of kind of acid reflux type thing; I know with humans, that can cause some throat irritation. Maybe I'll try Pepcid for a week or so, see if I notice a difference.

When one of my dogs started doing this, my vet found significant post nasal drip running down the back of her throat. Theorized that it was some sort of allergy, put her on an anti-histamine for a week or two and we switched foods. Totally resolved and haven't seen it since. Just one more thing to consider.

a trial of Pepcid is a good idea; they usually recommend low-fiber wet diets for dogs with these kind of conditions, so perhaps ditching the green beans and adding some high-quality canned food to the diet might help.
    You might want to try some other kibbles to see if the condition resolves- yes, the kibble you are feeding is high-quality, but it may not be right for YOUR dog.

Some good ideas, thanks. Interesting about the PND. She did test as allergic for lots of pollen and weeds, and my allergies are terrible right now, so that may be worth a look.

Before she was sick I had her on Acana lamb and apple or duck. Then she was on the ID for a while and I switched up to Pacifica off that. I did a slow transition. Other foods you might recommend? Maybe this is too rich and go back down to the lamb? Or another brand entirely? I also have some raw frozen I could add in, one of the good brands.

Thanks for the ideas.