The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Do I Say This Politely? ... (Ripping off the MTC-TB logo is NOT okay)

Please make no mistake: We are thrilled that you love your TB and that you like the MTC-TB design enough to want get your own stuff made ... but please, don't.

This request is based on the fundamental mission of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique: to raise funds for TB rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming. In all cases, profits from products, whether made-to-order or stocked, are donated to TB charities throughout the US.

The MTC-TB logo is a copyrighted design and protected from both unauthorized replication and adaptation. This protection is primarily for "members" ... people need to have confidence that the money they spend on MTC-branded items is going where we say it is: straight to registered TB charities.

In the past when people have asked for permission to use, it's been granted on the condition that they give a cash donation to a 501-c-3 TB charity per item. Nobody followed through, as far as I know. I resisted a cafepress or zazzle-type outlet because both businesses said they could not accurately reproduce all elements of the logo. Now, TracyMichele.com designs offers many customizable embroidered items.

The MTC site still offers patches with black backgrounds and white ones to put on your own items, as well as sterling silver charms, and will have decals and magnets in the very near future.

I just wanted the chance to explain why the MTC-TB logo is different than commercial products. While I don't think it's okay to knock off Gucci, Coach, or anyone else's work, this is not eating into my (or Tracy's) profits -- it's ruining the trust on which the premise was established: when you see something with the MTC logo, it represents real financial support for TB rescue and rehab!

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Mar. 25, 2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of TracyMichele.com
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

4 members found this post helpful.

Very polite.

Unfortunate that people are helping themselves to the logo though.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I hope that does the trick.

but some people are thick...they need the slap on the wrist to get the point....
    let's hope it does not come to that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Should we report vendors to you that are marketing the logo-ed items to their clients as their own?
    It is a copyright infringement...if the OP were to persuit it, it could get costly for the vendors!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My bad - I thought it was a different logo we were discussing - sorry for the confusion!

Get real, logos are copied by others all the time, then slightly altered, by individuals and even corporations. If it copyright infringement sue the. Now the "stay calm and carry on" signs have a crown at the top. Maybe someone got the idea from that on this logo. The county I live in uses Red Roses in many of it's logos. Crowns and roses where did someone come up with those ideas????

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Get real, logos are copied by others all the time, then slightly altered, by individuals and even corporations. If it copyright infringement sue the. Now the "stay calm and carry on" signs have a crown at the top. Maybe someone got the idea from that on this logo. The county I live in uses Red Roses in many of it's logos. Crowns and roses where did someone come up with those ideas????
    Fair enough ... the crown for the "sport of kings" and roses as in "run for the roses" ... the ideas aren't unique (in fact! ...), but the stylized crown and rose garlands are. And putting the two together with the letters "TB" in between.

As far as suing, that's hardly ensuring that the money we take in goes to fund TB new-life issues

Just thot I'd vent and maybe raise awareness by inviting people to consider the integrity of actions.

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't copyright. TRADEMARK. It costs you money to do it, but it's very straightforward and you can indeed trademark the crown/rose/TB combination. It would mean you'd have to aggressively pursue people stealing it to prove you aren't letting it lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Fair enough ... the crown for the "sport of kings" and roses as in "run for the roses" ... the ideas aren't unique (in fact! ...), but the stylized crown and rose garlands are. And putting the two together with the letters "TB" in between.

As far as suing, that's hardly ensuring that the money we take in goes to fund TB new-life issues

Just thot I'd vent and maybe raise awareness by inviting people to consider the integrity of actions.
    Stated on your FB page you state, "A Breed Logo for the Thoroughbred Horse". It logo that you are marketing. The last time I looked the Jockey Club was the one that has the breed logo. Yes you are upset that you created something and you are trying to make a few bucks off of it. As far copying, when you post a picture on the web that can be copied, you are inviting people to do it.

The Jockey Club doesn't have an official logo because they do not focus on anything other than registering Thoroughbreds, primarily with the goal of racing, and identify registered horses with papers and, if racing, lip tattoos. MTC's symbol was designed for people to put on saddle pads, blankets, etc. like the ubiquitous warmblood brand logos people put on their equipment, which are based on the brands given inspected warmbloods by their various books.

And if you think that posting a picture on the web is automatically giving permission to use it without permission, I invite you to try it with something like the Chronicle's logo, or maybe the Disney castle brand emblem. They're on the web, therefore you must be allowed to use them, right? Or to stick with nonprofits, steal the Red Cross's logo or the Smithsonian's sun disc. All available on line.

AllWeatherGal--that is one thing. To protect ownership you DO have to C&D people you see misusing it to show you ARE attempting to protect ownership. And again, trademarking wouldn't be out of keeping with being a nonprofit and it would give you more legal power to stop misuse and theft.

If you aren't already, you should start using the TM sign with your logo. This lets others know that you plan to register it. You will need to register it eventually, though. Then you can use the ® sign.

And whoever thinks it's OK to copy/use/sell a logo because it's on the web has another think coming.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Have you approached The Jockey Club to see if they will work with you on this -- getting your logo as the official OTTB logo? Or a group like Thoroughbred Charities of America?
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

how do you know if someone "stole" your logo? do you ask? i get that you want to help TBs and i think that is a great idea - however, i would think carefully about how you will "go after" anyone who is using the logo.

Since in most cases Logo's are used by certain individuals (the company whose logo it is and associates) it is easy to know who is stealing the logo.

In your case you are selling the logo so have no idea who actually bought it as opposed to stealing it. Since the only way to enforce it is to ask each person who has it - you might just ruin the good name you have established.

in other words - i'd let it go after posting a disclaimer on your web site etc. and focus your energies on moving forward and helping TBs

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The Jockey Club doesn't have an official logo
    ??? The Jockey Club does have a logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Have you approached The Jockey Club to see if they will work with you on this -- getting your logo as the official OTTB logo? Or a group like Thoroughbred Charities of America?
    The Jockey club has their own logo which they have also modified slightly for the Thoroughbred Incentive Plan (says Thoroughbred Incentive Plan in the middle instead of 1894) so I am not sure why they would need another one. Especially one that comes with restrictions.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Ah ... silly me. This is CoTH, of course there would be disagreement

7H ... I think we're on different planets. At the very least, writing in different languages. That's okay.

The JC logo is for the *organization* not the breed. Love it, love them (okay, not so much, but I admire anyone who rides well enough to be a pro!), don't love the business of racing, but love how the organization has evolved.

Danceroni & Bacchus ... good advice, too. It's expensive (about $3,100 over the first 5 years if you do all the paperwork yourself, and the request can still be denied!) unless I read all the gubmint literature wrong.

mbm ... I'm not selling the logo, I'm selling stuff that shows it. Kinda like Nike, only on a tremendously smaller scale But yeah, I think your advice is right-on! I got distracted yesterday

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and expertise, everyone.

Btw ... Danceroni, please don't let this distract you from sequels ... I an eagerly awaiting the next book of Omens!

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    The JC logo is for the *organization* not the breed. Love it, love them (okay, not so much, but I admire anyone who rides well enough to be a pro!), don't love the business of racing, but love how the organization has evolved....
    Stated on your FB page you state, "A Breed Logo for the Thoroughbred Horse". Doesn't say there either that you are an organization, the page says product or service.
    Mission
    To support registerred 501c3 charities in good standing with their efforts to support the Thoroughbred Horse.
    Company Overview
    The name Mighty Thoroughbred Clique comes from a message board. The Chronicle of the Horse message board has a forum specifically for racing, which in the U.S. typically means Thoroughbred Racing. One of the posters, Linny, had the tag and I asked her if I could use it for the fund-raising effort.

Of course the crown represents the "sport(horse) of kings" and the roses, the "run for the roses", both of which are so intrinsic to the Thoroughbred mystique.

Description
    Your purchases from the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique support registered non-profits that help horses
    and people in the United States
    So what is it a charity, organization, business or what? You are venting about someone using a logo, that was created from someone else's idea. So how many others might lay claim to the idea, and profits from the sale of it?

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Stated on your FB page you state, "A Breed Logo for the Thoroughbred Horse". Doesn't say there either that you are an organization, the page says product or service. So what is it a charity, organization, business or what? You are venting about someone using a logo, that was created from someone else's idea. So how many others might lay claim to the idea, and profits from the sale of it?
    The JC, ie Jockey Club, is the breed registry and no way affiliated with any kind of "breed logo". They have a company logo but there is no "official" TB breed logo for the registry like with Warmbloods.

The TB logo she made is still a breed specific logo but is not "official", simply a way for TB owners to display their love and pride. She is a business selling products displaying the logo. A portion of the proceeds go to help racehorse charities.

End confusion?
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I am clearly reading the OP's post very differently than the likes of 7HL.

I read it as more of a heads up reminder to those who want stuff with this logo be sure to buy it from the source because stealing it or buying it from anywhere else is not helping the cause.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

I read it as more of a heads up reminder to those who want stuff with this logo be sure to buy it from the source because stealing it or buying it from anywhere else is not helping the cause.

This! I love my 'official' MTBC stuff :-)
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

Is there any OTHER way one could read it than this? Oh, wait. Forgot who I'm talking about.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."