The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Urgent kitty help needed for a friend

Last week, my friend's 17 yo housecat fell off the bed and broke his hind leg, just around the stifle joint. It has been cast, but since that time he is unable to get up on his own, or use the litterbox. She is working hard to keep him clean as he cannot reach with the cast.
    He is also uninterested in food - normally eats dry, so I suggested some really smelly wet to tempt him.
    She knows that she may have to put him down, but I hope that some of you may have some suggestions about ways to help him be more mobile and begin to recover - he is an otherwise healthy cat. She is an EXCELLENT horseman and caregiver, but is in a very limited financial position because of a job layoff.
    AM hoping some good jingles and good ideas can come her way for Ruffy.
    Thanks,
    D>
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Oh, no! I can give you jingles, but can't think of helpful advice. I second trying all sorts of smelly foods. The poor baby! My heart goes out to him! Tell your friend not to give up!!!!!

More jingles, Texas sized ones!

One of our cats broke his. He snuck out and couldn't be found. Turned up in the garage on three legs and off to the emergency vet. Left rear was broken between
    the hock and stifle. Regular vet said it was about as good a break as you could get and he pinned it. No cast....just a large pin with a knob on the end sticking up. Cowboy had to be contained for a week or so in a large crate but before the
    pin came out, he was out and about and jumping up on things like normal. Since they found some puncture wounds on the leg, they think something got a hold of him. Cowboy has the meow from h..l so we thought perhaps whatever had him
    decided losing his hearing wasn't worth the meal. He did eat normally, fussed as usual about the containment and was able to use his litterbox.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

The vet can prescribe an appetite stimulating drug. Is he dehydrated? My barn cat quit eating and drinking when her horse died last summer. We ended up giving her SubQ fluids and the appetite stimulator (can't remember what it's called). She's good as new.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks for the jingles and the suggestions! Am going to pick her up some KMR as well - he IS drinking well!
    D>
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

We have a cat who's not ill, but simply too FAT to keep herself pristine. Thus daily use of "baby wipes" has become her (& our) best friend.

And if kitty is drinking well, try offering her slightly-warmed low-sodium chicken or beef broth. If she goes for that, you can start stirring in some canned cat food & see where that takes you. It may make her, uh, "looser", but at least she'll be getting some nutrition.

Thats too bad Cats generally do not do well with casts. Surgery to stabilize the fracture is usually far more rewarding. However, yes the cost is generally more. If they wont be able to povide surgery for the cat, unfortunatley giving the cast a go or euthanasia is the best option.

had a kitten named hard luck that at 12 weeks old broke his leg near the stifle jumping from the couch to the coffee table (only about a foot apart maybe). Vet put the cast on the wrong leg cause we "disturbed" him from his golf game. Had to get it recasted since we noticed he was still limping bad. But it healed nicely. He was a kitten, your friend has a senior, so hopefully he will heal. Try catnip, sometimes in some cats it can stimulate appetite. Also have her take the kitty to the litter box and hold him to help him or get a sheet of plastic (like you would cover your windows with) and put litter on it to also help him out. At least then he would not have to step over a ledge to get into a box. Its messy but it may help. Do you have a vet around there that can offer water therapy? I know some cats hate water but wrap that cast and make him swim maybe? I hope he makes it Really sucks when they break a leg! I know once hard luck got his cast on the right leg he zipped around like the demon he was.

Better than the KMR or the broth is this stuff:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...46&cagpspn=pla

Expensive for what it is (cheaper online but if it's a dire situation places like Petco have it too) but it works really well. It's just a calorie gel....I put a blob on my finger, open my cat's mouth, and smear it on the roof of his mouth. It dissolves quickly, is sticky, and he always eats it.

I have an older 20 year old who still eats canned/dry, just not enough to keep him at a healthy weight. A daily dose of this stuff was all it took to keep his weight up.