The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to live to be near lots of tb racing?

Where to live to be near lots of tb racing?

I would love to relocate in the future, somewhere that has lots of tb racing. I'd really appreciate your ideas and opinions.

I was thinking of near the Finger Lakes (Finger Lakes Racetrack) area and that sounds great, however as I'm getting older the cold is getting a bit harder to handle. But, I'm actually much more of a fall/winter person than summer person. Summer makes me feel really, really sick, depressed, etc.

So, no Florida, no California, east coast preferred. Any suggestions?

I was thinking about Maryland but I looked and even though MD is known for racing, the meets are short there, it appears. I want to live near year round racing. (I'd love to go back and be a groom, even if for awhile.) Do Pimlico and Laurel have horses there year round and ship out to race?

I have other interests in tennis, cross-country skiing (even downhill), hunting (on horses, that is) and need somewhere that would be good to raise a young son. I work in medicine. I know I might not get this all in one location, though.

I live in NY right now but a bit too far from Belmont & Aqueduct for it to work for me. Their location is a bit too populated/urban for me, anyway.

Thanks so much all.

Yes, Maryland has year round horses at the tracks (at least Laure & Bowie for now, never sure what is going on at Pimlico), and racing takes a few month break in the summer and moves to Virginia. Maryland horses often run at Delaware Park and Charlestown too. The Delaware/Maryland area is also nice, Fair Hill is there, with horses year round (although in the winter it does thin out).

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

My choice would definitely be somewhere around MD or northern VA. WV has year round racing at Charlestown, which is convenient to NOVA and MD. WV also offers Mountaineer, up in Weirton, but definitely not my first choice. Or second. Or third. Ohio is a possibility. For hunting and racing access you can't go wrong with MD
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Eastern PA / western NJ. You have Parx (a few exits from Philly), Monmouth Park (approx. 1.5 hrs drive), Meadowlands (STB & TB racing, approx. 2 hr drive), Belmont & Aqueduct. Saratoga is about 3.5 hours, good for a long weekend & you could catch a TB sale there.

Skiing is plentiful in the Pocono region (NE PA, approx. 2 hrs from Philly).

For work, plenty of medical jobs in the Philly area. Living in/close to Philly is expensive, but if you could live on the outskirts (Bucks County?), it might be a viable option.

For a young son, there's always Hershey Park (3-ish hours?) along with other kid friendly parks / amusement parks depending on your son's age.

There are hunts in NJ, distance depending on where you're looking. I may be wrong, but I believe Bucks County (PA) also has a hunt.

The driving times I gave you are very rough estimates, depending on how close to Philly you are.

Best of luck!

Well shoot, and here I was counting on having you as a neighbor one day!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

C'mon, what about KY? Churchill Downs, Keeneland, and the lower class (as in fewer graded stakes) tracks Ellis Park and Turfway, AND harness racing at the Red Mile. Fall here is gorgeous, winter, meh, Spring usually nice and summer, again, meh. Lots of kids in KY and the education is there if you look for it, lots of the obese and smokers so plenty of need for medical professionals. Come visit!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Pa > SE ... close to Philly ..year round track. Delaware Park is beautiful ..
    Foxhunting -- well, look over the MFH website -- Cheshire, Radnor, Rose Tree -- and the Northern Chester Co hunts of Belllwood, Ludwigs Corner, Doc Addis (still?)...

Medical? the heartbeat of medical colleges and hospitals.

The upper corridor of Bucks Co/ is very horsey too...still access to the tracks, but it would be travel.

Penn National is a year round track too but a bit remote and you'd have to travel for foxhunting ..either Rose Tree, Beufort, Carrollton(md)and the other md hunts (about an hour-so) ... The Hershey Med Center is excellent as well as other Harrisburg area up-and-coming hospitals -- theres skiing ...Doe, Roundtop, Ski Liberty (still about 2hrs to the Poconos) -- an hour from good rated shows, and horse parks.

It gets cold here too -- winters can be brutal for weeks, months on end -- this year was mild; tho registering the coldest temps in March.

To narrow your selection, you'd have to see what areas you can (or want to) compromise...
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I'm in upststate NY (Albany/Saratoga) and would agree with the Mid-Atlantic. You have lots of tracks (Parx, Delaware, Penn, Monmouth, Laurel and Pimlico and Colonial) and several hunts and reasonable skiing etc in season. The winters can be rough but are less so than here in Albany and you have proximity to Washington DC, Virginia horse country and great beach resort communities. Last spring it took me about 5 hrs to get to Coatesville to visit Xcntrygirl so Saratoga is a doable summer option for yealing sales and high end racing. In fact, if relocating were an option PA or MD would be my first choice.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Thanks all, so very much. I truly appreciate your help, each and every one of you ! !

Ah, Louise, I was so looking forward to being your neighbor. Your area does sound great, still. Everyone is knocking my thoughts of going North, so I started to question my thoughts and wanted to toss around a few more ideas (so here this thread is).

ReSomething: KY would surely be in my list minus the tornadoes. Can you please get rid of them for us, somehow? Your post shows charisma, btw.

Hi BS !! Hope you, the girls and your stock are doing well. I truly appreciate the input !

More thanks to ACS, Rust, Taryn & Linny !

Oh, how is Maryland regarding snakes and creepy sorts of animals?

You mean close to racing as a spectator or someone pursuing a second career? Id vote MD/KY regardless

Maryland and Virginia both get tornados. It's not like Tornado Alley, but we get them. Maybe KY is worse, but I see the risk as similar. We have snakes in Virginia and Maryland. Not sure what constitute a "creepy" animal; we have natural wildlife.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I've lived in KY for almost 10 years this time and two or three years years ago, and I've never seen (or heard) a tornado. I do see a lot of obese people and smokers, as mentioned by ReSomething -- great for doctors, etc.! LOL. Drives me nuts.

KY has great racing, it's beautiful, schools are good in the right areas, hunt clubs, tennis, etc. The only thing we don't have is skiing -- or not much of it. We do have downhill (small hill) in Indiana.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

No Tarantulas or Scorpians, Alligators, or Chupacabras either. It's been a while since Big Foots been spotted as well in Maryland. Those pretty much define my creepy animals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Not sure what constitute a "creepy" animal; we have natural wildlife.
    Well there is now in Maryland the 'Frankenfish' thing native to Asia

An Asian species, the fish can wriggle on land for short distances and eats so many smaller fish it can destroy an ecosystem. Females lay as many as 15,000 eggs up to five times per year. Those eggs hatch as little as 28 hours later.
    I doubt you'll find them in say Upperville, VA

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Maryland and Virginia both get tornados. It's not like Tornado Alley, but we get them. Maybe KY is worse, but I see the risk as similar. We have snakes in Virginia and Maryland. Not sure what constitute a "creepy" animal; we have natural wildlife.
    I've lived in both...Maryland and Kentucky. There is no comparison. You know you're in a high risk area when most large retail buildings have designated tornado shelters and there are outside tornado alarm systems.

We had one just miss us by a mile a couple of years ago. The most I ever saw in MD was one that touched down for 2 blocks or so and pulled the exterior wall of an apartment building.

Read it and weep...and it doesn't include the massive tornado outbreak last year in March. http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/tornado/Kentucky

For some reason, probably the rock ledges, many homes in Kentucky don't have basements. I'll strongly dispute the good education except for very few areas. Even non-secular private schools are few and far between.

How about Southern California? The do have snakes and earthquakes however.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Are you in the Lexington area? I've never seen a tornado and only had to take cover once for possible tornadoes. I admit they hit in other areas of Kentucky, but I wouldn't consider living in any of those, anyway

Tornadoes would never deter me from living here, that's for sure. Wouldn't even cross my mind.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Are you in the Lexington area? I've never seen a tornado and only had to take cover once for possible tornadoes. I admit they hit in other areas of Kentucky, but I wouldn't consider living in any of those, anyway

Tornadoes would never deter me from living here, that's for sure. Wouldn't even cross my mind.
    I'm south of the river in Madison County. Last year was one of the worst on record...thankfully the worst I've ever had as a direct hit were straight line winds that took out part of a fence (4 board, snapped off at the ground) and my roof.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Well there is now in Maryland the 'Frankenfish' thing native to Asia

I doubt you'll find them in say Upperville, VA
    They don't bother us at all, and we live on the Potomac River...that being said, the top chefs in DC are now cooking them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    They don't bother us at all, and we live on the Potomac River...that being said, the top chefs in DC are now cooking them up!
    I didn't see it on the menu when I was at Chef Bryan Voltaggi's Volt last month I'll have to look a little harder ....

Glimmer, you may find this interesting.. Once I googled Snakeheads I've learned more about them than I probably need to know, LOL. I do remember the first one found here in MD, actually was caught right near the Bowie Training Center. Seems like they are everywhere (kids even catch them in the small ponds at our local Country Club).

They are popping up in different restaurants in DC. Chefs are cooking them up at The Source (Wolfgang Puck) on Pennsylvania Ave in DC and in other local venues.

"According to the US Geological Survey, the first report of Channa argus in the United States came from Silverwood Lake, California, in 1997. Since then, it has been reported in Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, and North Carolina (where it has been caught by anglers). The snakehead has become established in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and Arkansas.