The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drop on Tredstep boots?

I am looking for some new boots, and I've tried on the Raphaels and the Donatellos before and likes them. But after reading the best/worst purchases thread, I've seen some complaints about drop. Anyone else care to share their experiences?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I love my treadsteps and have not had an issue with drop.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Thanks, Sammi! How long have you had them?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I've had the Donatellos for over a year, and the drop was minimal. I'd say 1/2" or so when the ankles creased. Definitely well under a 1" drop.

They are nice boots for the money. However, just a heads up that I had to put moleskin in the back of the ankles, because I was getting badly rubbed by one of the seams. Also, they've started to turn a slight greenish color where they've creased. Oh, and they WILL stain your breeches tan from the inside of the boots when you first get them.

I bought mine for schooling instead of replacing a pair of paddock boots and half chaps. They are super comfortable, and the first pair of boots where I fit in a normal calf size instead of wide.

I have both the Donatello's and the Da Vinci's and they both have been wonderful. Maybe a 1/2 drop if that. I also store my boots either in the box or a boot bag laying down where the boots are not sitting on the soles. And keep the air bag they came with inside to keep them from sagging.

For the price they are very nice boots.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

I've had mine for about a year now. The drop is about 1/2 inch like others have said. I did not run into the greenish color, rubbing, or the staining like Grey did. When I was looking for boots I checked out alot of expensive boots and none of them were as nice as my Tredsteps. Of course, because they cost less, I try and take pretty good care of them as I suspect they may not hold up as well under extreme use.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

We sell a ton of the Donatello boots! The design of this boot is such that the drop is minimal. While most drop and inch to an inch and a half, I would say this boot drops 1/2". The design of the ankle and footbed allows for zero bagging at the ankle, which is so common on other brands, thereby minimizing the drop. It's just a really nice boot.
    Equifit makes an outstanding product (Equifit gel bands) for breaking in tall boots. We sell these with all new boots. Wear these and you won't even know you're breaking in new boots.
    I have never heard of the leather causing discoloration on breeches. Not saying it didn't happen but just saying it has not been an issue for our shop.
    Good luck!

I bought the donatello's and i have to admit, breaking them in was PAINFUL. I could ride totally fine in them, but be warned, trying to walk in them with rip the back of your ankles up. I had to tape up the back of my ankles to prevent the horrific blisters/rubs i was getting haha I love the look of them though, so i suppose it was worth it haha

2 members found this post helpful.

To be fair, I'm using mine like half chaps for schooling, and don't do a great job caring for them. I will absolutely buy another pair when I kill these, so don't let my heads up put you off buying them!

My donatello's dropped a good 1 inch plus.. They broke in very fast. Ive had the soles redone, zippers redone, and laces redone. I worn a hole on the inside, but I've had the for a year and ride everyday 2-6 horses.

Love my Donatellos. Broke in in 3 rides, never hurt and are the most comfortable boot I have had. Drop was only 1/2inch. For the $$ I say they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by anicolle View Post
    My donatello's dropped a good 1 inch plus.. They broke in very fast. Ive had the soles redone, zippers redone, and laces redone. I worn a hole on the inside, but I've had the for a year and ride everyday 2-6 horses.
    How did you go about getting the laces done? Both have mine have finally snapped and I would like to get elastic laces put back in.

And for the original poster I love my donatello's. I have had them for about a year and wear them for every ride. They still clean up very well for shows.
    They didn't require much break in time, a lot of people think they're custom b/c of how well they contour to my legs.
    I will warn you that as another poster said they will dye your breeches tan for awhile. And they do rub the back of my heels but I just wear band aids and am good to go. I would say they dropped less than an 1".
    I love them and will buy new ones when these bite the dust.

I bought these and ended up purchasing a new pair of boots pretty quickly. For me the height was a "if they don't drop too much" they will be a good fit type of situation. They dropped about 3/4-1", which was too much for me. More than anything though they tore up my achilles tendons terribly. I replaced them with a pair of Middleburgs I got for $200 at Dover and couldn't be happier... the leather is softer, the height better, and a more tapered ankle. I wore them for the 2nd time from 8am-5:30 pm at a horse show yesterday and not a single rub!

I love my Donantellos !! Mine only dropped about 1/2 an inch, but they are only 6 months old. By far they are the most comfy boots I have ridden in !! My second ride in them was a show. They look great and I don't take the best care of them. I will defiantly buy another pair when I kill these but I think that could be awhile !!
    Princess: evil first pony, Patch: RIP my baby girl, Lucky:I miss you, Molly:be good for your new kid, Charisma: my current project