The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Harnessing Fire Horses for an Alarm in 1903 - In 15 Seconds!

Now how many CotHers can tack up this quick?

http://facedl.com/fvideo.php?f=aioww...arnessing-1903
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes, have the harness already hanging there, enough people around to fasten the traces and off you go!

Your forgot the important part - your horse comes straight out of the stall by himself/herself and stands there ready to be tacked.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

3 members found this post helpful.

Those horses were READY to gallop!! Notice the dancing feet while they were being tacked.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Your forgot the important part - your horse comes straight out of the stall by himself/herself and stands there ready to be tacked.
    Yes, that is so, they love it and are ready for action, ye-haw!

I heard they are potty trained to go in a basket on command.

The horses sure were eager to do their jobs, weren't they? That was very cool to watch.

My great grandfather was the Chief of the NYC Fire Dept at that time and told stories about how dedicated the horses were - the only problem was when they tried to retire them. Whether they were hooked to someone's wagon/carriage or turned out in a field, they would come running to a fire on their own!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    My great grandfather was the Chief of the NYC Fire Dept at that time and told stories about how dedicated the horses were - the only problem was when they tried to retire them. Whether they were hooked to someone's wagon/carriage or turned out in a field, they would come running to a fire on their own!
    There was a PBS special about horses in war. An old cavalryman told a story about a load of horses that were drafted for service in WWI. One load arrived and when harnessed the drivers could not get them to move until someone figured out that this was a load of old fire/trolley and bus horses (Maybe by seeing an old hoof brand I suppose) Anyhow these horse would not move until someone rang a bell. Someone found a box of bicycle bells and with them the drivers got the horses to do their job.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

when my dad was young (after WWII) he had to drive the old Uncle around town (because the old man had bad eyes and didn't obey the newer street signs anymore)
    He said the horses were so conditioned that when the blanket came off the horses were READY...you'd better be in the carriage when you pulled them off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Looks like the horses lived in their bridles, and I didn't see blinkers on them. And it doesn't look like they wore a normal harness or breeching, looks like just a collar? Hard to see...

This reminds me of a book I loved as a child: Blitz, the Story of a Horse by Hetty Burlingame Beatty. Anyone else remember it?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I remember Blitz! Our Bookmobile had it and I loved it. I'd ride my pony to the Bookmobile stop at the neighbors' place, they had a hitching rail and baked goods and lemonade for us kids

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    I suspect they would harness themselves if they had thumbs!

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I remember Blitz! Our Bookmobile had it and I loved it. I'd ride my pony to the Bookmobile stop at the neighbors' place, they had a hitching rail and baked goods and lemonade for us kids
    LOVEd that book!

I still have that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    This reminds me of a book I loved as a child: Blitz, the Story of a Horse by Hetty Burlingame Beatty. Anyone else remember it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG, those horses were AWESOME!!! Talk about READY. Love the dancing legs. What a cool video!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Haha, just shared that with my brother. He's a fireman EMT and very scared of horses!! This just might make him appreciate horses a bit more.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

When I was growing up I loved to go to my father's office because the walls of his conference room were covered in old photos of horse drawn fire engines - some of them had both horses with all fours off the ground.

Sadly, someone stole them after Dad died - I hope they have ended up in a museum somewhere because they were very special.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Looks like the horses lived in their bridles, and I didn't see blinkers on them. And it doesn't look like they wore a normal harness or breeching, looks like just a collar? Hard to see...
    I was noticing that too! Open bridle, collar, traces and breeching but no saddle. Very cool horses which looked like modern day barrel racers waiting in the ally for a run.