The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions and advice wanted!!

Last year, I lost a foal from a fabulous Hanoverian maiden mare. It was tragic. There were a lot of factors as to perhaps why the foal passed away. The mare was imported from Germany while pregnant, she was bread to a similar bloodline, and I'm not sure of the prenatal care she received.

The filly was very disfigured. Twisted legs and spine through the neck.

I have found a fantastic ATA stallion, Oskar II *pg* that I would love to breed to her this year.

I'm just afraid to breed her again because of the lost foal. My vet says she would breed her again, especially now that I would be able to control the mare's care.

Has anyone had this happen to a maiden mare? Or know someone that has and bred again with no issues?? I'm just nervous about it.

Thank you guys!!

I owned a mare that had had a first foal that was deformed so much that it was euthanized before I bought her (very severe wry nose). She gave me wonderful foals after that, none of which had any problems and has now gone on to another breeder who just had a lovely colt from her. I would not worry.
    Last edited by Home Again Farm; Mar. 24, 2013 at 01:11 PM.

It seems that most of the time it is just "one of those things" that sometimes happens. I would not worry about breeding the mare again.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an ATA mare who has had several very nice correct foals. Her first baby on the other hand was born without front legs and had to be euthanized.

Thank you!! That settles my nerves a bit. I mean I guess I would be nervous until the foal came out. Haha

So, to seek some more advice from everyone....
    I went ahead and completed a full work up on the mare. A biopsy and cultures.
    The cultures came back clean and the biopsy came back with a rating of IIB from Cornell. And the lab has decided to send the biopsy for a second opinion and my vet is also sending the inforamtion off for another opinion.

the foal that we lost last year was miscarried at i think 310days.

any thoughts??? is it worth the risk?

Honestly? No. If you were a career breeder, then you could probably take it in your stride, knowing the pros and cons and making a calculated gamble and having the inner resources if it went wrong. Or you could dig deep and do ET from the mare. But if it does go wrong, how are you going to feel about that?

There are lots of foals hitting the ground now that you could pick and chose the one you want. It's probably cheaper too. Or you could decide on a custom or in-utero foal for next year and start making payments.

1 members found this post helpful.