The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a bit, Myler I think, jointed snaffle but almost like a Mullen mouth.

My trainer's been riding Boscoe in a Myler bit that has the typical "barrel" joint in the center, but this bit is different (I think--I'm not a Myler expert) in that it only collapses a little bit. It's sort of like a semi-Mullen mouth. It's not rigid altogether, but doesn't "fold" like most jointed snaffles do. Just a little ways.

Looking at their products (dang, they have like 1000 models) I can't tell by sight which ones these are. Do they have a special name? Are there other bits (dressage legal) with a similar style? Boscoe actually likes a plain Mullen mouth, but I feel like they're kind of clunky in my (inexpert) hands.

Thanks!
    Click here before you buy.

You're looking for the 02 mouthpiece.

The 02 can't collapse like a regular jointed snaffle, but it doesn't have the stability of a mullen snaffle due to the rotation.

So for example:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/myler-...FYdxQgodYUEAWA
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Well, that was easy! Thanks. Dressage legal?

Yes, it is dressage legal.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yep, dressage legal, its what my horse goes in for all phases too. Love it!

the Stubben EZ control bits will also form a Mullen-mouth like piece when the horse pushes against it. Talk to Kate - she loves them, and they''re dressage legal.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

MB02 (comfort mouth wide barrel) does collapse to a degree; MB32 (mullen) has the rotation. Both legal.

I have the Stubben bit mentioned above.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/stubbe...ing-4844p.aspx

I looks like a french link, but doesn't "collapse" like most dbl. jointed snaffles.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

That's a nice option too, thanks. The reviews are hysterical: "it's locked up and doesn't work!"

Too funny! The sensitive guy I have now doesn't like it, but it worked great on a mare I had with a bit of a hard mouth.

That Stubben bit is very interesting. My favorite bit for my pony is a Duo, but she chews it, and the Myler was too floppy for her. I keep searching for a good metal bit that I can have as backup. A plain mullen isn't quite the right shape. What kind of movement does the Stubben bit have? I think she likes that she can get the Duo to wrap around her mouth just right, but that it stays still.

What is a Duo?

The Level One mouthpieces are designed to wrap around and create more tongue pressure. You may be looking for a Level Two mouthpiece, which has some "collapsibility" but is meant to have less tongue pressure for a more educated horse. I found their book really helpful, and cheap at the local tack store. It all made a lot more sense after I read the philosophy and intended use and design of the bits.
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    What is a Duo?
    Herm Sprenger overpriced rubber bit, but very very nice. Figures my pony would have highbrow tastes. The link is to the D. There is also a loose ring that is half the price.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/hs-16mm...g/p/X1-011921/

Overpriced indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    That Stubben bit is very interesting. My favorite bit for my pony is a Duo, but she chews it, and the Myler was too floppy for her. I keep searching for a good metal bit that I can have as backup. A plain mullen isn't quite the right shape. What kind of movement does the Stubben bit have? I think she likes that she can get the Duo to wrap around her mouth just right, but that it stays still.
    I'm not very good with descriptions, but that Stubben bit is unlike any jointed bit I've ever had (and I have 5 different Mylers!). It doesn't "fold". Just like the 1st review on that smartpak link, it's "frozen". LOL. I never tried a mullen on the mare I used this bit on, but she would just foam like crazy with this bit. She was still somewhat stiff, but that was just her (definitely not a dressage candidate).

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I'm not very good with descriptions, but that Stubben bit is unlike any jointed bit I've ever had (and I have 5 different Mylers!). It doesn't "fold". Just like the 1st review on that smartpak link, it's "frozen". LOL. I never tried a mullen on the mare I used this bit on, but she would just foam like crazy with this bit. She was still somewhat stiff, but that was just her (definitely not a dressage candidate).
    By frozen do you mean that it only moves with some force? That it moves in some directions but not others?

I'm seriously interested in this bit, but I've never come across this one in person or even in description before. It's sounding very promising for Ms. Picky Pony.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Overpriced indeed!
    It really is a nice bit, but given that they're not a one-time purchase the way Chew-Monster Pony damages them, it's a painful price. Made more painful by the fact that the loose ring is half the price, inexplicably.

Chew-Monster is a little special though, given that she can and has left teeth marks on stainless steel bits too.

So, umm, it turns out that after some scrounging in my bit drawer I already own one of the Stubben ones. Who knew? I am not much of a picky person when it comes to bits, but after 20+ years I do have rather an impressive collection. I can't remember who I even bought it for. Probably Gwen, who went very well in a pelham and maybe I was looking for something in a legal bit that would replicate that. Or maybe I just bought it randomly. I've been known to do that with tack.

This bit flexes only a few mm in the "normal" direction that snaffles fold/collapse. It has a rigid endpoint within the center "bean" that keeps the branches from moving any farther.

On the stubben bit, does it flex backwards at all? Dear pony loves to use her tongue to get any jointed bit up between her teeth where she can chew on it. She was able to do that with that Myler mouthpiece, for example.